The first thing I noticed when I was steeping the tea was a bold, smoky scent. I was reminded of lapsang souchong, as the tiny black leaves also brewed up very dark, very quickly.

The flavor, however, was less smoky than I expected. Which is good, because smokiness is something I’m still adjusting to. Anyway, it’s a strong, hearty tea that would go great with breakfast. There is no harsh aftertaste at all, just a sort of rounded maltiness and woodsmoke taste.

This would be a good segue tea between plain blacks and lapsang, I believe. And I also think a slightly longer steep time is in order. I’d like to taste what this tea is like when it’s stronger. So, next time…

Jim Marks

There is a huge spectrum for lapsang teas. Some really are like drinking bacon, and some are nothing like that at all.

A personal favorite of mine is the “black dragon” from Upton. Not at all “meaty” or like standing downwind of a campfire.

Comments

Jim Marks

Decatur, GA