drank Ryokucha by Samovar

My mom has made the same tea nearly every day for as long as I can remember – Good Earth’s Original Decaffeinated tea. I rarely see her deviate from it, and I’ve taken the I’m-not-gonna-force-you-guys-to-drink-something-else approach when it comes to my parents and their tea drinking.

Over the holidays, though, my brother came back and I made him a fair amount of tea and my mom got curious. It made me laugh, because it was like…when you offer a kid something and they’re not familiar with it so they say, “No thanks,” but then when they see everyone enjoying it they kind of sidle up and stand there, watching. You ask them again of they want something and they look sideways at you and say, “Yeah…maybe. I guess.” So when my mom told me, “You know…the next time you’re making tea could you make me a cup?” I tried to remain calm and just said, “Yeah, sure.”

After much deliberation, I decided on Ryokucha. I wanted to choose something that was different and full of flavor, and so I decided that this would do nicely, but I gave it to her with a caveat of, “This is going to be a little different, so…take your time with it.”

And “Hey Mikey, he likes it!” – when she was done, she came over and said, “It’s good! Kind of…earthy?” So my mom likes Ryokucha! I’d call that a hell of an endorsement. My opinion of it has not changed. Also, I hadn’t really ever noticed it until Auggy mentioned it in her reviews, but it IS really creamy, and I’ve really been enjoying that aspect of it lately. Actually, you know what? I think I’m going to give it a little ratings bump. I’ve had this…probably 5 out of 7 days for the past couple of months, so it’s earned it. She works hard for the money.

Cofftea

I wish I could get mom away from her instant sweetened iced tea. She very occasionally drinks a cup of hot tea (and even more rare that she asks me to make one if I’m not drinking some at the moment), but never wants me to make her any iced tea. It’s weird, she drinks iced instant sweetened black tea, but black tea is her least favorite tea hot and she very rarely sweetens her hot tea.

Angrboda

You’ve had more luck with your mother than I’ve had with mine then. I tried making her oolong once (and Tie Guan Yin to boot!) and she thought it was stinky and didn’t have much flavour. Stinky! My Tie Guan Yin, stinky! O.o My expensive teas are too good for her.

Ricky

Haha, my father’s into tea so that works for me. Except he responds with “good, bad, smooth.” Err he doesn’t like blends too much. He’s into his pu-erh and Ti Kuan Yin. My tea has no flavor to him =(, it’s so sad. My mother likes blends, but she still prefers pu-erh.

takgoti

@Cofftea It’s difficult to tempt creatures of habit away from their routines! I find that it’s a bit like being around animals in the wild – you must do so carefully and strategically. But even then, sometimes there’s nothing that can be done!

@Angrboda O noes! I’d probably get upset if I made Four Seasons for my parents and they blech’d at it. It’s probably why I haven’t done it yet.

@Ricky HAH! I’d totally be like, “…and?” Ah well, it’s still cool that they like loose leaf. My dad lives on Stash. But I figure that tea’s better for them than coffee, so I’m not complaining.

Cofftea

@takgoti- very true! Ignorant people just annoy me though… TOTALLY not calling your mom ignorant, mine is- in tea and pretty much everything else (especially pertaining to me) and she claims to know everything about me. My mom won’t touch matcha (she can’t get over the color), I wonder what your mom would think? I can see a (not necessarily yours) mom saying “it’s not proper to drink out of a bowl!”… Actually that sounds like something my mother would say… and I wouldn’t be fun to be around after that comment lol.

Auggy

Yay! Creamy!

Micah

I don’t think my mom has ever asked me to make her tea. I will occasionally make her a cup just for the heck of it but I don’t think I’ll ever pry her out of her box of Constant Comment or Red Rose dust. Oh well. She will, however, ask me to make tea for guests. So I suppose she has some appreciation for my tastes. Good to know.

My tea drinking habits have rubbed off on my father to some degree – much to my mother’s chagrin. I guess she doesn’t care if I spend a significant portion of my income on tea but, if it’s her and my father’s joint checking account, she’s tempted to put up a fuss.

… it’s fun to watch.

In any case! Another add on to my “order from Samovar” list. That list keeps getting bigger! I wish I lived in San Francisco because that tea room looks incredible!

takgoti

@Cofftea Heh, yeah. My mom’s pretty open to things [she and my dad love to travel] so I don’t think drinking something out of a bowl would faze her. But she’s so accustomed to her tea that I suffered a little shock when she asked me to make her something. To think that I might actually get her to start drinking loose leaf regularly is a small miracle. I’m trying not to hold my breath.

@Micah This was the very first time and it took a good two years for it to happen, so maybe there’s hope? It’s kind of flattering she asks you to make some for guests, though. And Samovar’s tea rooms are wonderful! The only location I haven’t visited is the Mission-Castro one. Hopefully I’ll be able to knock that one off the next I’m out there.

Comments

Cofftea

Angrboda

Ricky

Auggy

Yay! Creamy!

Micah

… it’s fun to watch.

takgoti

Former coffeeist, turned teaite. Lover of writing, reading, photography, and music. Traveler of life. Known to be ridiculous on occasion.

Virginia, USA