drank Caramel Matcha by Red Leaf Tea

Caramel Matcha comparison tasting, part 2/2!

This review is for the Royal Green matcha with Delicate flavoring.

The royal, when prepared, is a noticeably more vivid green than the classic matcha. It also whisks more easily into a foam, the foam lasts longer, and it smells… more like green tea somehow, in comparison. The caramel flavor isn’t less, exactly, but the tea flavor is more. On sipping, I can really taste a difference between the grades here. Some of the citrus notes I got in the royal Bavarian Cream matcha are also present here, so that’s actually the royal base. The tea is also sweeter! Really just a whole different flavor profile – think, like, sencha vs. gyokuro. Both good, green teas, prepared the same way, but one has a sweetness and depth of flavor.

A teaspoon of milk seemed to bring out all the flavors in the royal matcha in a really interesting way – not just the caramel but also the green tea. With the milk providing a creamy base, each flavor seems to stand more on its own.

As it cools, the royal/delicate doesn’t get bitter at all, it just shows different flavor facets – less bright citrus, more dark green and cream.

If anyone who’s been playing with Red Leaf’s matcha likes green tea and hasn’t tried the higher grades yet, I recommend doing so at least once! The Royal is different and fun.

This who tasting was fun! And now I have lots of caramel for blending with my other dessert flavors :)

You can buy this at http://www.redleaftea.com/matcha-tea/caramel-matcha.html

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA