drank Huang Jin Bolero by Adagio Teas

Getting more flowers this time, and it’s getting better as it cools. I’m much more impressed than the last time I made this, though the flavor is still relatively weak for an oolong.

And now I’m losing the flowers as it cools more – boo. There seems to be a sweet spot for drinking temp. Still bumping the rating a little.

Steep 2: ~3 minutes. The liqueur is the same color, a yellow so pale I’d almost call it cream.

Steep 3: ~4 minutes. Still good color, but the flavor is getting very mild. If I liked white teas, I might continue with this, and I’ll probably give it one last long steep, but I think these leaves are mostly tapped, for my taste.

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA