drank Fujian Baroque by Adagio Teas

Tried this one without milk this morning, and bumping the rating a little because it’s way better than I expected (or remembered) plain. Lots of complexity, sweetness, yes cocoa and spice, but also some floral notes I wasn’t expecting. (There is black tea, too, if you’re wondering). I used boiling water, but poured it into a room temp mug for steeping, so actual temp was more like 200˚F – I really think hotter water can ruin this one. Still, at $8/4oz, I’d call this a steal – I’ll certainly be buying more at some point.

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA