Mmm, this is delicious. On the advice of some other Steepsterites, I’ve resolved to use more leaf when steeping whites, so this was 1tsp/3.5oz. The brew is a bright almost-but-not-quite-greenish yellow; it smells fragrant and delicately fruity. I don’t know that I’d call the flavor champagne, almost like grape perfume perhaps, but it is sweet and delightful without being overpowering.

I’m a little confused as to how to rate it, though. It’s very tasty, but I really prefer strong blacks still. I wouldn’t pick this over any of my “breakfast” teas, but it’s certainly not worse than them. Ah well, maybe I’ll just consider this on a separate “whites” scale.

Another 2 steeps around 4-5 minutes each came out quite well – champagne/grape flavor still present in the 3rd steep

__Morgana__

I tend to find myself rating greens against greens, blacks against blacks, etc. subconsiously, though sometimes I find myself comparing to other offerings of the same company. I imagine as I taste more things I’ll find other trends as well.

Comments

__Morgana__

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA