drank Masala Chai by Teavana

Drank this iced this evening (brewed double strength chilled and cut with ice and milk). It was quite tasty, but I wasn’t paying close enough attention to note much more than that. Not too bitter (which was a concern with the CTC leaves, so I made sure not to oversteep), and I got two steeps out of it. Ginger is the only flavor I remember standing out, probably because it’s my least favorite chai spice, but that wasn’t strong enough to ruin it for me.

Cofftea

I had a blended iced chai half milk half ice at Starbucks the other day. Unfortunately it was made w/ concentrate. Blech. Even w/ mocha and caramel syrups the spice was too strong… I couldn’t taste the extra syrups at all.

Comments

Cofftea

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA