Got my Samples from Herbal Infusions today! They’re just big enough for one small cup each (and in cute tiny bags), but hey – free! I used ~1g with 3oz water. The package smelled divine, mostly from this one and the Scottish Caramel Pu-Erh, I think. The leaves are kinda small and dusty on this one, but I think part of that is from the long shipping/tiny quantity. This tasted a bit harsh for my taste plain, but was pretty sweet and creamy with milk. The maple flavor is strong, but I can still taste the black tea underneath. Might buy!

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA