drank Assam Rani by TeaFrog

Got my TeaFrog samples today! I knew mine shipped out late (yes, this is from the Select a couple of weeks back) because I got the Earl Grey Special, so I wasn’t too worried, but it was very exciting to find in the mailbox today.

This is a very tasty plain black tea – the citrus is the description is right on. If I didn’t know better, I would have thought this was an orange scented tea from the aroma. Pretty similar to an Earl Grey, actually, but milder and sweeter. This was a little harsh for me plain, but it’s great with milk (the spicy citrus flavor is still there).

Second steep (5 minutes) is a little milder and sweeter, enough to drink plain, but plenty strong enough to drink. Spice/citrus notes are still present.

1 heaping tsp (2g) in 8oz water

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA