drank Maiden's Ecstasy by Samovar

In line with the pairing suggestions, I’m drinking this with bread and butter :) I’ve been off pu-erhs for awhile, so unfortunately I’m getting more of the barnyard taste (that I acclimate to when drinking pu-erh frequently). It’s also not comparing well to some of the plain blacks I’ve had lately, just for strength of flavor. But, it is exactly what I wanted after my bike ride – something smooth, sweet, and mild, but also energizing (and for a bonus, re-steepable and forgiving) – so points for that.

We’ll see if it grows on me after a couple of cups.

1 tsp leaf, 4oz water, dumped first rinse with boiling water

Cofftea

Not sure I’d personally give it bonus points for being resteepable. Most pu erhs should give you 12ish so it would be a pretty crappy pu erh (lol! didn’t think of that pun when I typed it) if you couldn’t resteep it.

Grinnyguy

Hmm yes pu-erh with bread and butter sounds like a good combination. I’ll try it tomorrow. I don’t find my pu-erh very smooth at all though, possibly it’s not a very good one.
It’s all about having a forgiving tea when you’re tired. Nothing worse than sitting down and forgetting the tea for 5 mins only to find it tasting horrible when you go to rescue it

Cofftea

I agree Grinnyguy, but I like my pu erh w/in a very specific set of parameters so this isn’t int for me:)

teabird

I am liking this better after a few cups; I think I’m on my fifth steep now? Cofftea, I kind of bought this particular one for the yixing pot it came with :P I’m sure it’s not stellar (I have had a little sheng pu-erh that definitely impressed me more), but it’s nice to have around.

Grinnyguy, forgiving was definitely the order of the day ;)

Comments

Cofftea

Grinnyguy

teabird

Grinnyguy, forgiving was definitely the order of the day ;)

Some notes on ratings:

I’d have separate rating scales for tea types if that were possible (probably Black, Flavored Black, Darjeeling/Dark Oolong, White/Green/Light Oolong, and Herbal) because the flavors and quality markers are just too different. A flavored black rated 100 isn’t better than every oolong I’ve ever drunk, just delicious for a flavored black.

Ratings are a combination of my enjoyment and the perceived quality – I do often demote teas a few points for artificial flavorings, small quantity of steeps supported, or weakness of flavor (requiring extra leaf).

I pay less attention to the number than the order of my ratings; I don’t necessarily keep a stock of everything rated 80+, but if two breakfast blends are rated 82 and 84 I consistently enjoy the 84 more.

And in case it’s not obvious? I am not an expert. I don’t even know what I like until I taste it sometimes, but I’m ok with that :) I like learning to like new teas, as well as enjoying the comfort of familiar ones.

Boston, MA