drank Lychee Black by Samovar

Hrm. This one is very light, but interesting.

Yet another takgoti + Samovar = awesome treat! The leaves here are quite tiny, and they smell of rose, almost. Very fruity-floral.

I’ve only had lychee in terms of lychee jelly in bubble tea or lychee-flavored juice drinks. I’ve never had the fruit itself, but when I think of lychee I think juicy-sweet, so I’m a big ? is appearing over my head. The other big ? is that takgoti said to steep this up between 170-175, which is interesting for a black tea.

So I watched this steep to a lovely light nut brown, and the smell coming from the cup smells like sweet, candied roses. My first sip… I was surprised at how light this one is! Very ethereal, if I do say so myself. Gossamer-like.

The black tea base here is more cuddly than substantial, and it fades softly into a floral-like note. It tastes like a rose tea, almost. What differentiates it a bit, though, is the juicy sweetness that is the endnote of every sip. It’s very lychee, if I do say so myself.

As it cools, the floral note becomes more of a blanket for the lychee fruit taste, which I actually really enjoy. So juicy and full and luscious. I can imagine this one being awesome iced, as Samovar recommends. It might bring the fruity notes out a little bit to the forefront. I’m finding I’m enjoying this one more lukewarm than hot-out-of-the-pot.

I can’t see myself craving this all the time. It’s really delicate and serene, which is wonderful, but I could see myself tiring of this. Iced, on the other hand, might be pretty awesome. I actually might try it like that and see what happens.

I’m sort of becoming a big fan of this Samovar-thing. takgoti, you devil, you… you are the ultimate converter to the Samovar experience.

Cofftea

Whoa, um yeah… that is quite an interesting temp for black tea:) Being not a black tea fan I’d be absolutely terrified it’d be watery.

wombatgirl

Ooo.. I want to try this sometime. I’m heading to San Fran next Christmas. I’ve been thinking about checking out their storefront.

takgoti

@teaplz Hee, lychee isn’t something I can drink everyday either, but I’m glad that you enjoyed it!

@Cofftea I accidentally boiled this once and it scorched the flavor. It does fly in the face of usual black tea logic, but tea has a lightness about it that benefits from the cooler water.

@wombatgirl Oooh, you should! Their lounges are awesome.

teaplz

Yeah, this one is actually really, really delicate-tasting. I could see it getting pretty bitter at higher temperatures. Mmm, though, Samovar…

Do you know what I love doing? I love sniffing my empty mug after a very fragrant tea like this. The smell just sort of lingers… in a wonderful way.

Cofftea

Haha! I do that too teaplz!

Comments

Cofftea

wombatgirl

takgoti

@wombatgirl Oooh, you should! Their lounges are awesome.

teaplz

Cofftea

Haha! I do that too teaplz!

22-year-old NYC girl just starting out on her tea adventures! I used to hate tea. If you asked me a few years ago what I thought of tea, I’d tell you it tasted like hot, dirty dishwater. Not anymore! I acquired a taste for tea when I started drinking peppermint tea for my upset stomach problems. From there I graduated to teas like chamomile and Lipton. But Lipton wasn’t strong enough!

I’m getting the hang of this loose leaf thing. Black’s my default, but I’ve found that I really love teas that fall into every category. I’m a purist – I always drink my tea neat. I prefer unflavored tea over flavored tea, and really dislike anything flavored with artificial-tasting substances. I’ve grown up a bit in my tea drinking, and I find that novelty appeals to me less and less.

I also am the happy girlfriend of the boy that created the tea randomizer, which can be found here: http://www.jaydeee.net/pickatea.php

New York City