This tea didn’t taste like I thought it would at all. It’s a very smoky flavor. Not exactly unpleasant, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Like it says on the box, don’t make it with boiling water, because it will be bitter. I like to put the electric kettle on for about a minute or two, and then pour it over the teabag and let it steep for five to seven minutes.

I stopped drinking coffee a few months ago, and switched to tea full-time. Now I drink this mate when I need an extra energy boost- it’s awesome because it won’t give me the coffee jitters.

Finally, about this brand- Guayaki doesn’t use a lot of smoke-roasted yerba mate leaves. The smoke-roasted ones are the ones that can cause cancer- they use air-dried instead when they can. And this tea is also organic and grown sustainably. So the company overall is pretty ethical and cares about their customer’s health. If you’re going to drink yerba mate, I highly recommend Guayaki’s!

Hello! I’m an American college student, trying to find my way in the world. I love literature, politics, and tea.

Favorites: black, oolong, and white teas (anything with chocolate, nutty, or spice notes!); pu- erh, yerba mate, chamomile, tulsi.

I like green teas as long as they are blended with fruit and/ or spices, and I LOVE them when they’re blended with floral notes.

I have a love-hate relationship with kombucha, and I’m very picky about my chai- It has to have a high-quality black tea base for me to really enjoy it.

Dislikes: Plain green teas, rooibos, honeybush, fruity herbals, hibiscus in high quantities, plain peppermint. (Although I am not opposed to trying blends that cross into these neighborhoods if they come from reputable companies.)

I’m not a swapper, but I hope we can still be friends :)

90-100: Perfection and heaven and magic, all in one cup.

70-89: Good.