Interesting, mixed experience with this one. I plan to try it again, and maybe give it less steep time. This is generally why I stay away from Earl Grey blends; a few seconds more or less of steep time makes or breaks the whole cup. But I wanted to give this one a go, because I’ve been looking for a good decaf black blend, and I usually have a good experience with Twinings.

To be totally frank, the first few sips tasted like cleaning chemicals to me. I was eating leftover Chinese food, which had quite a bit of garlic in it at the same time though, so I decided to wait until I had finished eating before passing judgment on the tea.

It did get better after I let it cool. The black tea base is very light, as promised on the box. I feel like having bergamot AND orange in the same blend is a nice idea in theory, but in practice can be a bit overwhelming.

Verdict: I ended up liking this tea for the feeling that it left me with, more than for the experience of actually drinking it. I’m going to give it another go, but for now:

I’d recommend ditching the tea bag sooner rather than later when making a cup of this tea.

Hello! I’m a recent college graduate, trying to find my way in the world. I love literature, politics, and tea.

Favorites: black, oolong, and white teas (anything with chocolate, vanilla, nutty, or spice notes!); pu- erh, yerba mate, chamomile, tulsi.

I have a love-hate relationship with kombucha, and I’m very picky about my chai- It has to have a high-quality black tea base for me to really enjoy it.

Dislikes: Plain green teas, rooibos, honeybush, fruity herbals, hibiscus in high quantities, plain peppermint. (Although I am not opposed to trying blends that cross into these neighborhoods if they come from reputable companies.)

I’m not a swapper, but I hope we can still be friends :)

90-100: Perfection and heaven and magic, all in one cup.

70-89: Good.