Black Currant Bai Mu Dan

Fruit White Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

From 52teas

It’s white tea week at 52teas. I accidentally ordered a bit too much white tea, so here we are with a couple of extra blends this week.

Sometimes I think white tea is not as much fun as the others. It’s such a delicate and subtle flavor to begin with that it doesn’t lend itself to things like chocolate peanut butter cup. What DOES pair well with it are nice sweet fruits, like black currant.

Chelsea, my faithful sidekick insists that our black currant papaya green tea is great for taking baths in. She says it makes her smell good and it leaves her skin feeling softer. Clearly, I’m not one to take a bath in our teas, but I have to admit that it’s pretty sexy to think of Chelsea taking a bath in them. (Sorry Sheri).

Anyway, (and before I get myself in too much trouble) whether you drink it or bathe in it, I think you are going to find this tea amazing. We actually doubled up on the amount of real black currants in this blend and it is delicious.

About 52teas View company

I had planned on posting this log yesterday…must love holiday travel!! So, here’s what I wrote up yesterday:

Gar, I’m in a rush this morning to pack and travel to my parents’ for the hols. I’ve got so much to do, and I’m supposed to be there by noon…I don’t see that happening. Anyway, I opened up the tea of the day, measured out all of it (3 tsps) and remembered to put 3 cups of water into the Breville!! Oh, joyous day that I did something right tea-wise first thing! And it’s a new tea to me. Happy dance!!

It’s very nice and light. Love the Bai Mu Dan, and there’s just a touch of the black currant to make it gently berry. Very sweet and just a touch tart. It’s delicious, and I’m definitely glad I got to try it. I don’t know if I’ll invest in a full pouch, but if these samplers are regular things (and I really hope that they are, cause it’s a great idea), I’d pick up another one to have a small variety on hand (like I don’t have a variety of tea on hand already).

After reading tasting notes on this one I decided I have to place an order for it. Then I thought hmmm maybe just maybe AmazonV sent this to me in her (very generous selections) that she sent to me.

I opened up the box and squealed “Thank you, Thank youuuu AmazonV!!” Grateful I didn’t have to place a order and wait for it to find out if I like it. I steeped it up according to the directions and had a bit of a tea failure in that I spilt some of the leaves into my actual cup by over pouring water into the strainer. So I am having my tea leaves and all!

Okay so dry leaf smells the same as steeped tea (keep in mind there is actual leaf in my tea cup) the smell reminds me of Bath and Body Works. I love the smell in Bath and Body works so this is a good thing and it’s not a strong smell a very faint scent of B&B.

The tea tastes very good! It is white tea mixed with berry flavored I can only think berry as I ‘ve not knowingly ever eaten a black currant and therefore am unsure what they taste like. I enjoyed this cup I think I will make a cup iced today since I read in Jacqueline’s review that it is yummy iced I will try it and revisit my notes then.

Thanks AmazonV you rock!

P.S. Anybody looking to trade some Black Currant Bai Mu Dan for a almost whole bag of Buttered Raisin Cinnamon Toast let me know. :)

Can somebody say Wine Flavored?

Yum-a num!!!

Gonna need to order this one. Just incredibly delish and love the fact that I’m a Wine-o and now can enjoy that at work without getting in trouble!

Thanks Kristin for the sample! Delish!!

KeenTeaThyme

As a fellow Wine-o, that is music to my ears. :) It’s the little things that make the work day that much easier!

Nichole

I’ll send you some in your next pkg :)

Okay, so I’m trying really hard not to toot my own horn here. I don’t want to ruffle any feathers. But you guys HAVE to try this. I know it’s not as out there as Buttered Cinnamon Raisin Toast or Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, but this is DELICIOUS! I’m thinking we may have listed the ingredients incorrectly. (We’re supposed to list ingredients according to weight, so that whatever there is most of has to come first. Well, I think instead of “tea, black currants…” it should have been “black currants, tea”). We really put a lot of delicious black currants in this blend and our Bai Mu Dan is spectacular with it. Really, you should try it.

JacquelineM

This sounds really lovely. I do think I have to try it! Off to order!

Cofftea

I think anything you guys come up w/ falls into the HAVE to try catagory because even if you don’t have the “OMgosh THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD!” reaction, you have the “OMgosh… this is weird… GOTTA TRY IT!” reaction. Although I will say this is a little too much on the normal side for my expectations of 52teas.

52teas

Yeah, the thing is (as I tried to say in the posts related to the white teas), white tea doesn’t really lend itself to the extravagance of cherry vanilla cola or buttered cinnamon raisin toast or chocolate peanut butter cup. At least in my opinion, the white tea is too subtle to be drown in such flavors. It would be like putting ranch dressing on sorbet.

We are working on a white chai, but I’m not quite happy with it yet.

Cofftea

Sign me up for that one! Yeah, I know what you mean though. Infact when you said currants should have been listed 1st I was concerned right away. I thought even that may drown out the white tea.

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Even though I haven’t ordered from you yet, I’d been meaning to comment somewhere on Steepster to you that your white tea blends sounded quite yummy, even if they aren’t as bold or unusual as your usual blends.

Wow! This one is like a POP of grape- This has been a perfect tea for the hot summer days….

So, here I sit, trying to put off grading final exams. (Again.) I needed something light and decided that now was the moment to try my ValenTea from 52teas.

Black currants have a unique taste. I happen to like them a lot. They’re berryish, but with a deep, rich tartness to them. In the dry tea, the berries are visible and they smell so promising.

Steeped 175/3 min. The tea is a rich golden color and the smell is nice. Not as fresh as before, but still pleasant. The tea tastes very nice. I’m impressed with the berry flavor. It’s definitely a true black currant taste, not like blueberry at all. The aftertaste is slightly medicinal and I’m not certain where that’s coming from, but the tea is so flavorful that I’m already on my second cup. It’s a very nice flavor and a very nice tea. Perfect excuse for not grading final exams.

WOW!!! I did not expect this to taste like this. It is flavorful and reminds me of lightly candied fruits. Even though it isn’t a holiday tea per say I would say it would definitely work as a nice cuppa in winter. Will have to get some sometime.

Note: Frank can you please include steep times and temps on the labels again? I miss it.

I am new to black currants… this is only the second tea (or anything) I have had with black currants in it. I like it! Nice light white tea with a sweet fruity taste. I wish I had more in my sampler. I want to try this as an iced tea! I think I will resteep the leaves to try this iced.

Light and fruity. Both the tea and the black currant taste equally strong with a lovely sweetness. This one is dainty and classy, a perfect tea to sip while sitting on a patio on an early summer morning. I however, chugged it like a marathon runner whenever I had the opportunity while racing around the offic, trying to get everything done before the end of the day…it still tasted good.

Black currant is one of my favorite “everyday” tea flavors, so this was definitely a pleasant surprise to find in the 12 teas of Christmas set. I must admit, I’m just not a big fan of white tea. Maybe my palate just can’t appreciate the subtlety, or maybe I just enjoy black tea too much – I’m not a big fan of greens either. This was not bad, but the white tea I think is jut too “delicate” for me. I like the currant flavor, but I think I still prefer black tea over white. I could see this making excellent iced tea, though.