Black Currant Bai Mu Dan

Fruit White Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

From 52teas

It’s white tea week at 52teas. I accidentally ordered a bit too much white tea, so here we are with a couple of extra blends this week.

Sometimes I think white tea is not as much fun as the others. It’s such a delicate and subtle flavor to begin with that it doesn’t lend itself to things like chocolate peanut butter cup. What DOES pair well with it are nice sweet fruits, like black currant.

Chelsea, my faithful sidekick insists that our black currant papaya green tea is great for taking baths in. She says it makes her smell good and it leaves her skin feeling softer. Clearly, I’m not one to take a bath in our teas, but I have to admit that it’s pretty sexy to think of Chelsea taking a bath in them. (Sorry Sheri).

Anyway, (and before I get myself in too much trouble) whether you drink it or bathe in it, I think you are going to find this tea amazing. We actually doubled up on the amount of real black currants in this blend and it is delicious.

About 52teas View company

Sipdown no. 161 for the year 2014.

I tried this hot at least once, but alas, I appear not to have written a note about it. It was a while ago, but my recollection is that it was pleasantly fruity, with the fruit dominant over the tea flavor. The fruit is, I suppose, currant, though I think of currants as tasting raisin-y and this tastes more grape-y or perhaps a grape-cherry mix of some kind.

But I remembered reading somewhere that this was good iced (I think it was Angrboda whose note I’m remembering) so I decided to give this a try as a cold brew. Unfortunately, given the size of my preferred cold brew receptacle, that pretty much did away with all of what was left in the packet, and there wasn’t even quite enough to make me confident that this would brew well cold (because the leaves are so much bigger, I was planning to put in a couple more spoonfuls than usual).

Fortunately, it was enough, and it worked really nicely. I steeped this for probably longer than I should have, about 12 hours, but no bitterness. A really nice fruit flavor, and a little bit of a leafy white tea flavor in the background, which, thankfully, doesn’t have that dead plant thing going that white teas sometimes have.

I’m really sorry I don’t have any more of this. I’m rating it high because it’s one of the tastier cold brew experiences I’ve had. Very refreshing, very mellow, really hits the spot. And it wasn’t too shabby hot, either.

Now for the sad story. I have a mystery envelope in my Steepster mailbox. I think someone sent me a message then realized they sent to the wrong person and deleted it before I opened it in my mailbox. (I did see an email telling me the post had come but I was tied up and couldn’t get to it for a few days.) Somehow this had the effect of making a permanent red envelope with a one on it in my mailbox. I wrote to the Steepster overlords who suggested clearing my cache. I have just started using Google Chrome (I am still nervous about it, as in my book Google is the new Microsoft and I’m not too excited about their having information about what I do online but so many sites are now optimized for Chrome I finally gave up) so I went to clear my cache and when I did, Chrome suggested I browse incognito. Stupidly, I said yes, then couldn’t figure out how to get rid of that mode. I searched online and everything I read said you can’t get rid of it without editing the registry. Well, I was a crack at DOS, but I have never gotten along with Windows, so I wasn’t about to attempt that. I found a utility on CNET that claimed to remove incognito so I downloaded it. Guess what. Got rid of incognito but loaded me up with malware! Thirty minutes later I’m much better (thank you Malwarebytes, you’re my hero) but after all that I STILL HAVE THE RED ENVELOPE!

Sigh.

Iced 8 min or more 8 tsp 64 OZ / 1892 ML
Jennkay

Oh man, sorry to hear about that annoying envelope. I hate when my apps on my phone have little red notification bubbles. For something so small, they sure are annoying!

__Morgana__

I know, I hate those little things on my phone, too. Ugh.

This is a cup-worth of tea that I saved from a Traveling Box C and what I scribbled on my baggie was Black Currant Bergamot Shou Mei… but there is no way in hell I can find that here on Steepster.

I found this, however, and perhaps that’s what this is supposed to be. Especially that I’m not getting any bergamot out of this.

Anyway, it’s a pleasant white tea with an unmistakable black currant flavor. The flavoring is not artificial in any way, and the smooth, slightly sweet white tea base blends well with it. I’m not head over heels in love with it, but it’s a nice companion for this pre-stormy yet peaceful afternoon.

2089 tasting notes

Additional notes: Sipping this OLLDDD sample and the black currant is still strong and delicious. This might be my favorite black currant tea. The others are usually gross. It helps I saw an actual black currant in the teaspoon. Upping the rating from an 82.

Fjellrev

Stupid me never picked this one up when it was available because I’d always chase after the LE ones.

One thing is for certain, fruity white teas are my jam! This one is no exception. I have had a few currant-flavored things in my day and it is distinctly unique. This tea has it, and it is mild and juicy without being sour. Just plain flavor. Win.