Dreamsicle Darjeeling

Natural Flavours, Orange Peel
Cream, Herbaceous, Orange Zest, Spices, Vanilla, Citrus, Creamy
Edit tea info Last updated by Pyroxy

From 52teas

Orange you glad we didn’t just do another ho-hum Orange tea? Oh, my darjeelings, we couldn’t do that to you!

Instead, here’s a blend of real Margaret’s Hope Estate Darjeelings blended with real orange peel and natural orange and cream flavors. It’s a Dreamsicle Darjeeling. There’s some purists out there who might find it an outrage that we would create a flavored blend with what is known as the “Champagne of teas”, but we’re not scared. Give this a shot and you’ll be wondering why no one has attempted it before.

Just remember that Darjeeling is a bit more delicate than most black teas. Some tea nerds would argue that it is technically an oolong, as it is only oxidized about 90%. The upshot of all of this is that you have to steep it in water just below the boiling point (180-190°) for three to four minutes only.

About 52teas View company

From Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

I like citrus flavored teas, and I love Darjeeling, so I have high hopes for this one.Honestly, I don’t know how I missed this one when Frank first offered it, but I’m happy to see it in the TTB.

Because it’s a Darjeeling I boiled the water and allowed it to cool to around 200 degrees. The first sip reminds me strongly of orange rid and does have a fair bit of astringency. I don’t consider some dryness a bad thing in a Darjeeling, so I’m good with this. As the tea cools some there is much more of the dreamsicle flavor which melds really well with the muscatel notes in the tea. Lots of bright orange flavor and a nice creaminess. This is definitely the golden spot for this tea. It does make me wonder if this would be a good cold brew. I’ll have to try that before passing this one along.

Pass the Stash TTB 2.0

This is the first tea I’ve tried from 52 Teas. Theirs flavors seem interesting, but it’s not something that’s high on my tea priority list. I’ve also never had a Darjeeling that I know of… Looks like black tea leaves with a bunch of pieces of dried orange peel. It smells very orangey in an orange peel oil sort of way – more sharp than sweet. I don’t know much about Darjeeling, but I’ve heard it needs to be steeped at a lower temperature, so I did 190 in lieu of my usual 200.

This tea is…interesting. The orange is very present, and it’s definitely that same sharper orange oil flavor. There’s a touch of sweet and creaminess from the vanilla. And the base is giving me this interesting herby spice flavor, similar to what I’ve tasted sometimes in some Yunnan teas. Fennel seed, maybe? It’s definitely a savory spice. Overall, I feel like the flavor combination of this tea wasn’t that well thought-out. This is definitely the wrong type of orange flavor to go with vanilla. A sweeter, more juicy orange would have worked better for a dreamsicle tea. Overall, I did like it, but I kept coming back to its shortcomings…

Flavors: Cream, Herbaceous, Orange Zest, Spices, Vanilla

mj

You really should try a non-flavored darjeeling! They don’t get a lot of love on Steepster, but I like them a lot especially as a good summer tea

Cameron B.

I definitely will eventually. I’m just working on Chinese blacks right now and after I feel like I’ve got a good grasp, I’ll probably move on to Taiwanese or Indian. :) What’s the general flavor profile of a Darjeeling?

apt

taiwanese blacks are better than indian blacks

mj

Generally, Darjeelings are very light for a black tea. There are often grape (like wine, not fresh grapes) notes and what I think of as “mountain air” taste hehe. Sometimes there’s citrus flavors too. They taste different based on when they are harvested, although I haven’t experimented with the different flushes yet. Oh, and darjeeling is actually a Chinese tea even though it’s grown in India :)

This tea has a pleasingly light, crisp taste of citrus. It’s fantastic as an iced tea. It is not at all bitter or astringent and the flavors are very light. It’s like catching a whiff of orange and a hint of cream. The aftertaste is short, crisp, and mainly the black tea with a touch of creaminess. It’s delicious and very refreshing, but it may be that I might prefer slightly more leaf or a longer steep time. I brewed this hot and chilled it overnight.

Flavors: Citrus, Creamy

If I were to choose between this one and Dreamsicle Puerh, I would definitely pick this one. Beyond that though…..Meh. But I wonder if part of my dissatisfaction of this tea has to do with Della Terra’s Pineapple Upside Down Cake, in that alot of other teas would just pale in comparison? Hmm. Possibly.

Dry smell: Creamy orange to the forefront, with a I guess Darjeeling smell coming in the rear.
Tastewise it is just the opposite. I would prefer the Orange be just a touch more prominent, not to the extent of drowning out the Darjeeling, though I have limited experience with Darjeeling, what I’ve tasted for the most part I’ve liked. I think I will let it cool down, maybe add alittle more sugar, see if it would do well as a iced tea.

I’ve tried the Dreamsicle Puerh in the past, so I’m curious to see how the Darjeeling stacks up. In the bag the smells are very similar – I’d say the darjeeling is a bit more in your face about the orange flavouring, but not in a bad way.

Once steeped – with a tsp of sugar and wee spot of milk – I’m a little surprised by how bossy the darjeeling is…it stomps right up to the front of the cup and demands to be acknowledged, leaving the orange and cream notes to trail meekly behind.

It’s not bad – although nothing like the puerh, where the flavouring sits at the forefront – and strikes me more as a nicely flavoured breakfast tea than as a dreamsicle cup of deliciousness.

And as it cools the orange and cream notes come more to the forefront. It’s still a more full-bodied cup than the puerh, but that seems to be working in its favour.

A tasty cup and one I would have again, but not my favourite of the two.

Sipdown no. 116 of the year 2014. Just enough left for me and the BF this morning.

An enjoyable sipdown. I hope for more like this, where I’m not dreading having to make the tea go away (and arranging it so the BF’s cup is much bigger than mine each time I steep it).

I should find/drink more orange flavored tea that I like. I’m sure I have some in the stash somewhere. I really do like orange flavor. I have an orange from our tree in my refrigerator at the moment. I didn’t even know we had an orange tree until the BF and kids came in with three huge oranges. I think what happened was: we had a crazy neighbor who we couldn’t work with on a fence repair so the deer had been eating the little trees and the fruit. The crazy neighbor died, and a couple with kids bought her house and completely gutted it and made it look very nice. They also, of course, worked with us to put in a new fence. I think the tree has recovered! I’m pretty sure we have a tiny lemon tree out there somewhere too.

Lest you think it is weird that I don’t even know what sort of trees I have in the backyard, our house is on a hill, and it’s a pretty steep slope. The backyard is terraced but not very easy to get to and not overly usable, so we don’t go down there a lot. I’d like to change that—would really like to completely redo it and make it kid play friendly but landscaping is so incredibly expensive.

Time to buy a megabucks ticket.

Stephanie

Nice that you can have citrus trees outside where you live. I have some baby dwarf ones indoors in containers. In a few months I will put them outside for the summer!

__Morgana__

Yeah, I’ll say one thing for this area. The weather is nothing to complain about!