Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish Black Tea

Berries, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

2 Images

• “I am REALLY tempted to get the iced version of this. REALLY tempted. My one hold up is how much I like it with milk and sugar, though... you can't exactly do iced tea with milk unless it's like...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 765 tasting notes
  • “Mini sipdown. I have officially finished up the last of my first package of this one. I have an unopened package still sitting in my cupboard but i'm fairly certain that will just be tossed into...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “This tea is officially my favorite tea. I have put my order in for a pound! Frank has kindly said yes to my request and if all goes well with the mail, I will be receiving a beautiful pound of tea...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 158 tasting notes
  • “This was my first cup today. Had a late start, but it was so nice to get some extra sleep! This tea is perfect as a breakfast tea. Went nicely with my toast topped with butter and blueberry jam!...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 426 tasting notes

From 52teas

Wow are you guys in for a treat this week!

Here’s our premium Indian black teas (a little extra Assam in this blend since I envisioned it as a breakfast tea) blended with GREAT BIG, whole freeze-dried blueberries and natural flavors. I have a feeling this is going to be a VERY popular blend. Enjoy!

About 52teas View company

So… I woke up and made a pot of this. But as I was waiting for it to cool I fell asleep and woke up an hour later… So it got turned into an iced tea today. It’s still good. Nice blueberry flavor and I’m getting more of a pastry type flavor. Fingers crossed I won’t be turning all of my hot teas into iced ones today…..

Alright, I LOVE cream cheese danishes and I adore blueberries so this tea is right up my alley. The aroma is overwhelmingly of fresh, juicy blueberries and it smells so awesome! Taken with milk and a tad of sugar, the tea is very smooth and creamy. The cream cheese is right around the edges, but it really works. The blueberry aspect of the tea is great and not at all artificial. It is almost like a trick tea – you think it is a delicious blueberry tea but then the cream cheese pops out to surprise you.

I don’t think I would even want more of the cream cheese aspect because this tea is bold and I imagine would be perfect for breakfast. The addition of more cream cheese would make this more of a dessert tea – but I bought it for the bold, Assam rich, breakfast tea aspect. Another hit from 52teas! Seriously, I’m beginning to wonder if they have ever blended a tea that wasn’t awesome.

I have been dying to try a tea from 52teas and Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish sounded particularly appealing. I haven’t gotten around to ordering from them yet…but I will. I was thrilled to receive a surprise sample from Sil.

Dry the tea smelled lovely. Blueberry with a bit of something extra. The only way I can describe it without sounding like a lunatic is like when you walk into an old school bakery the first thing that hits you is that smell of pastry. That’s what I got here. And it was lovely. I could not stop smelling the tea. My family thought I was insane.

Brewed all that lovely pastry smell disappears. Some slight spice remains but it is nothing near the “Holy crap!” of the dry tea. The blueberry taste was pleasant but it’s not my favorite blueberry tea ever. I did get a nice bit of tang that did remind me of cream cheese. I also wish there had been a bit more flavor from the black tea.

Update Okay so when this tea cools off, the flavor profile completely changes. The pastry taste comes out, the blueberry tames itself, the cream cheese tang does its thing and the black tea tastes like black tea. Sugar helps too. Now I’m getting it.

Thanks to Sil for the surprising and joy inducing sample.

Tealizzy

I like this one steeped for 3 minutes at 185 degrees. The pastry flavors seem to come out more. :)

Dexter3657

Thanks Tealizzy for posting that comment. I am going to go and make some of this following those parameters.

graceatblb

I have another serving left so I will try it again. Thanks!

Finally! I’m getting around to drinking another one of the samples from Kittenna. Thank you very much!
The dry leaves smell delicious! Like my Oma’s homemade blueberry jam! Oh boy I am so excited. I also smell some custardy notes.. Hurry up kettle!
1st steep: 98C, 2.5 minutes:* Hmm.. just a little sip.. too hot.. too hot… HOLY BLUEBERRY! Oh my gosh this is delicious. It has a really tasty cream flavour too it too which reminds me of custard. Hmm yummy pastry taste too. This would satisfy my worst cravings. I just immediately rushed to 52teas website to make sure this was permanent.. then was saddened to see this amazing tea wasn’t. Re-blend?! Please?! Oh my stars I would be so excited if that could happen.
Thanks again Kittenna! It was so kind of you to share such a delicious tea!

Fjellrev

This is one of my all-time favourites. If he doesn’t reblend it, I just may need to custom order a pound. :/

Totally agree that it’s like Grandma’s homemade blueberry jam!

Ninavampi

It is my favorite ever!!!! I actually gave in and ordered a pund of it!!! And it is almost gone!

tigress_al

I only got to try a sample of this. But I would definitely get some if it was re-blended!

Lynne-tea

Incendiare I would go in on a pound with you! If he doesn’t want to reblend it… It’s so soo good that I can’t imagine going without. I’ve only gotten to have a sample of it, but based on that sample I would 100% go in on a pound of it! I hope he reblends it either way. He would sell out in a second!

I am SO in. :D

Lynne-tea

Yayyy!! Jumps for joy Lets work out the logistics!

shneebo

Hey I just thought I’d let you know that I’m selling two unopened pouches of this tea on eBay in case you still want it.

This is yet another cream cheese/cheesecake blend that I couldn’t resist buying (knock it off Frank! I’m trying to afford college!).

The smell of both the dry leaves and the steeped tea is very much like blueberry, as is the taste. There’s an extra element of creaminess to this; I suppose that’s the cheesecake. The blueberry taste hits the back of your throat as you’re swallowing. It’s not quite as tart as I was expecting, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. This will definitely be a good morning tea for me to bring to class.

LiberTEAS

re: (knock it off Frank! I’m trying to afford college!). I know, right? It kills me when I see his new offering every week and it’s one that I MUST have. He needs to make something that I won’t want. LOL

Caitlin

Haha – I third the trying to afford college thing – I keep caving on tea and I need to afford Grad School too – oh joy!

LiberTEAS

Well, I’m trying to afford college on another level… trying to afford putting my daughter through it.

Meghann M

I’m trying to afford life after college. The time when the student loans are paid back, also the time when I am wondering what I thought I would do with my French degree :) Franks blends are just too good!

Another tea from *VariaTEA*’s package (thank you!). This is one that I’ve wanted to try for a while. I love 52 Tea’s Blueberry Zabaglione, so I thought this one would be great too. It does have a nice fresh blueberry flavor that has just the right amount of sweetness so that it isn’t artificial tasting. The flavor is initially all blueberry with a little maltiness. Adding milk and sweetener brings out a tiny bit of the cream cheese, but I’m still not getting any bready pastry flavor. I like this one, but I think I prefer the creaminess of the Blueberry Zabaglione more. Still glad that I finally got a chance to try this one!

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves with large dried blueberries.
-Dry leaves smell strongly of sweet blueberries. Tea liquor aroma is of fresh blueberries and black tea.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium yellow brown color.
-Fresh berry flavor with a light malty finish. Soft blueberry aftertaste.
-Best with sweetener. Milk optional.
-Good tea. Fresh blueberry flavor. Milk and sugar needed to bring out a hint of light cream cheese.

VariaTEA

I am sorry this was not as tasty as the Zabaglione but at least now you know for sure and won’t be wondering. Yay for trying new things!

Josie Jade

Very true, VariaTEA! And I won’t mind finishing the rest of the sample, either. :)

I’ve made this a few times now. And I really want to love this like so many of you do. And it’s good for sure, but I guess I can’t seem to get it quite right. I’ll keep experimenting but blueberry crumble still wins the blueberry battle easily in my book.

Tealizzy

Yay for blueberry crumble!! :)

Uniquity

I assume this is one of the newer batches but in case it’s not, try a shorter steep and/or lower temp. I have some of the older stuff still and it can only go about 2 – 2.5 minutes without becoming bitter. Good luck!

TastyBrew

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Lindsey

I wonder if it’s something with this new batch. I received mine about 3 or 4 days ago (so I assume it was from the same batch as yours), and I’m having the same reaction that you are. The dominent taste is bitter black tea. I had to pour out my first cup (steeped for 4.5 min) and now I’m on my second (2 min steep). While this one is better, it’s still a bit bitter (even with a piece of rock sugar) with not much flavor. I’m a sad panda after reading all these rave reviews. I think I’m going to step away from it for today and try again next week to see if I can get it right.

I’ve tried this tea a few times now, and I have to admit that I wasn’t that impressed the first time I tried it. The black tea tasted very bitter to me, and the blueberry flavor wasn’t strong enough to compensate for the bitterness. I felt particularly bad about not loving this tea because the lovely Rachel of iheartteas not only rescued this tea from retirement, but she also graciously sold me a package from her private stash. sigh

I’m happy to report that I like this tea better today. I adjusted my Breville to a medium strength brew, and this helped a lot with the bitterness. I also let my tea cool off to room temperature which brought out more of the blueberry flavor. I’m considering cold steeping Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish as iced tea, like Rachel did the other day, to see if I can get the cream cheese flavor to come through.

DaisyChubb

best of luck with the cold brew! That should do away with the bitterness at least, hopefully enough to let the cream cheese through. Yum :)

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

Wow, I am so happy you enjoyed this. I too made this cold brewed but it was a little strange. Please don’t let that stop you though. Give it a go and let me know what you think. Thanks for your kind words too. :)

As per many suggestions, I steeped this at a lower temperature for only 2.5 minutes. It does wonders for the flavors. This tea smells and tastes delectably of blueberries! Yum!! However, I am not picking up on cream cheese flavors (although a bit it is creamy in texture). I am not complaining though because it is still a deliciously flavorful drink.

I would say it is similar to DAVIDs Blueberry Jam except less artificial tasting and with a stronger sweet blueberry flavor. In fact, I would say this flavor is probably what DAVIDs was aiming for as this has a more sweet blueberry jam (or perhaps even more like blueberry pie filling) taste while Blueberry Jam tastes more like juice.

Fjellrev

I find the cream cheese and pastry notes come out more in the second infusion.

VariaTEA

I infused it a second time and got nothing. It tasted like water.

Fjellrev

Weird! I always let it steep longer though and find that there’s a better balance of notes.

VariaTEA

I let it steep for a minute or so extra and mostly just got hot water. I will try letting it go longer next time to see what I get.

Ok so today is turning out to be a VERY good tea day. Wowsa!!
I chose this, reaching into the sample bag hoping for a black and this was what I pulled out… which left me a tad disappointed given that I generally dislike blueberry sweets. Thus, when I brewed this up I expected a decent tea, yet yearned for something that would hit that dessert black tea craving, but had little hope that it would be just what I wanted. Well, surprise!! It’s exceeded my expectations by a lightyear!!!
It really tastes like blueberries, and cheese! without any of the nasty texture I dislike (duh). I added some milk n sugar, which brings it way over the top to a place I can only describe as paradise. That means I’ve been to tea paradise and heaven in one day >sighs<
Big BIG BIG love to Jenn for sending me this sample. I can’t wait for my second steep! and then it’s off to meet a fellow steepsterite. Again, what an amazing tea day… I credit it partly to all the positive tea vibes I got from y’all yesterday so muchos gracias for those as well!

Jenn

Yay! What a great day :) I love it when a tea exceeds my expectations.

Indigobloom

I know, it’s a great feeling! I’m hoping tomorrow will be decent to, given the sad lack of hot water. Two more days at that workplace and then I am outta there!!

Jenn

Sometimes, leaving a job feels soooo good :)

Indigobloom