Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish Black Tea

Berries, Cream, Vanilla, Blueberry, Pastries
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

2 Images

• “I am REALLY tempted to get the iced version of this. REALLY tempted. My one hold up is how much I like it with milk and sugar, though... you can't exactly do iced tea with milk unless it's like...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 812 tasting notes
  • “Mini sipdown. I have officially finished up the last of my first package of this one. I have an unopened package still sitting in my cupboard but i'm fairly certain that will just be tossed into...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5241 tasting notes
  • “This tea is officially my favorite tea. I have put my order in for a pound! Frank has kindly said yes to my request and if all goes well with the mail, I will be receiving a beautiful pound of tea...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 160 tasting notes
  • “This was my first cup today. Had a late start, but it was so nice to get some extra sleep! This tea is perfect as a breakfast tea. Went nicely with my toast topped with butter and blueberry jam!...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 608 tasting notes

From 52teas

Wow are you guys in for a treat this week!

Here’s our premium Indian black teas (a little extra Assam in this blend since I envisioned it as a breakfast tea) blended with GREAT BIG, whole freeze-dried blueberries and natural flavors. I have a feeling this is going to be a VERY popular blend. Enjoy!

About 52teas View company

This is quite good! Thanks Emilie!

It has a nice balance of blueberry and tea flavor. I didn’t taste any astringency. Dry and steeped it smelled fruity. There was a slight bakey flavoring in the background…not much sweetness though. I like this one better then the Cinnamon Roll HB. Perhaps I’m just not a fan of Rooibos/Honeybush? Idk… But this one is pretty tasty:)

While this isn’t my favorite 52 teas blend it’s quite good. My only complaints are that the base is a bit bitter and the blueberries taste more dehydrated than fresh, though I have no idea how you’d get a fresh blueberry taste in tea so it’s probably as good a flavor it’s going to get.

I forgot this tea was steeping, so I went well over the suggested 4-5 minute steep time. (It was probably closer to 10-15 minutes…yikes!) I was afraid that the tea would be bitter and undrinkable having steeped so long, but I was pleasantly surprised by both the aroma and taste.

The plump, full blueberries in the tea are the star here, transforming a plain cup of black tea into something extraordinary. I added sugar and just a touch of cream to bring out the cream cheese notes in the blend, and it was a very, very satisfying cup.

I just have to remember next time not to oversteep it!

Boiling 8 min or more

Oh Emilie, you do spoil me! This is a fantastic tea! I am drinking it for breakfast as I type and am overwhelmed by the bursting flavors. The blueberry is strong in this one. This is a very well balanced breakfast black with an amazing depth of creamy flavor. Now this is a tea i would drink each and every morning!

I’ve run out of banana bread black by 52 teas (I may cease to exist until a reblend).

Luckily, Lisbet sent me a pouch of this in a swap, and while not quite the crack that banana bread black has become for me, it is really quite good.

The dry tea is definitely blueberry all the way. I could imagine myself sitting on hot Canadian shield rocks in late summer, picking and eating the ripe, wild blueberries. A great feeling to have from smelling a bag of tea!

Steeps up nicely, with blueberry smells wafting around the room. I’m not quite as fond of the black Assam base, but the blueberry taste is rich and lovely, not at all fake and just perfectly sweet. Definitely an overall good tea, although it won’t replace my banana bread sigh

I love this tea. The scent of the dry leaves is the most amazing blueberry bakery scent ever. Steeped, I get a creamy blueberry on a nice black base. I’m happy I have a whole bag of this – I just hope this gets reblended at some point.

Holy stromboli! It doesn’t get much better than this. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t order this because I already love DT’s Blueberry Jam and I was looking to see whether or not it was indeed the best blueberry black tea. Wrong! This one takes the cake by a mile! It’s the first pastry tea where I can actually taste the flaky danish-y goodness. The blueberry also tastes much more “real” compared to other blueberry teas. I didn’t put any sweetener in it – the blueberries sweeten the cup nicely on it’s own. However, a splash of milk really brings this blend to life. Really happy I ordered it!

Sniffing the tea leaves reminded me of freeze-dried blueberries, which are not particularly appealing. Drinking the tea, I can’t really taste the blueberry or the danish… and yet, it’s definitely not just a plain black tea. I can smell blueberries, and perhaps taste a hint of something reminiscent of a danish, but if someone handed me this tea blind, I would have no clue what it was supposed to be. Tastes pretty good, though!

Thanks to LiberTea for passing on a sample!

Having this tea this morning, now that my traveling box has traveled on.

I am enjoying this tea, and would like to buy more of it…somewhere. I can really taste the blueberries and it tastes like a blueberry danish. It really does! I especially enjoy AFTER the sip, where I can still taste the blueberry danish, and it all comes together then…after the sip.

4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

So, I realized I have developed a bit of a backlog with tea tasting notes, since I only review one tea a day…and I drink a lot more, well it makes sense that my notebooks are filled with older notes. I do not want to neglect these teas, but the teas I am sent to review take precedent over teas I receive as gifts, buy for myself, or get in trades, it just seems polite. So, once a week I am cracking open the ‘vault’ and reviewing a tea from my older notebooks, sadly this does mean some of the photos are not the best. So glad I finally discovered the sweet spot for taking tea pictures, who knew I would have to rely on flash photography!

Today we are taking a look at 52Teas’s Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish Black Tea, no this tea is not exactly from 2010, I got my sample when I supported their Indiegogo campaign last year. I had heard a lot about 52Teas on Steepster and wanted to try a lot of their teas, but since Frank creates a new tea every week, usually once they are gone they are gone (unless you can trade for them on Steepster or get them from traveling tea boxes) so this was a perfect opportunity to crack into twelve of their most popular blends, and this was the one I tried first. The aroma is really sweet, it smells just like one of those vending machine danishes (I don’t think I have ever had any other kind of danish actually) there is intense blueberry notes with a hint of cream cheese and a touch of yeastiness like pastry. Add a touch of malty tea and it reminds me of drinking tea and having a vending machine pastry while waiting for my train. Very specific memory there, the Pittsburgh train station to be exact.

Once I give the tea a steeping the aroma of the leaves is really quite brisk, you can certainly tell it is an Indian black tea because of that distinct oak wood, malty, briskness that always comes to mind (at least for me) when sniffing it. There is also a nice burst of blueberries and a tiny hint of the other flavors present in the dry leaves. The liquid is rich and sweet, a nice brisk blend of malt and blueberry with a tiny hint of yeasty pastry at the finish.

The taste is fairly mild, a bit of malt and oak wood (like one expects from an Indian black tea) and a bit of sweet and slightly tart blueberries, much like blueberry jam. I decided to give this tea a try with some cream and sugar to see if it made any of the flavors pop, I can detect a bit of creaminess and a touch of a pastry like taste, but really this tea left me a tad bit underwhelmed. It is by no means bad, just did not knock my socks off as I had hoped. I guess the same can be said about the danishes I have had as well, maybe a real not from a vending machine danish is mild too. But even though this tea left me going ‘meh’ Frank’s imagination and blends always make me smile, especially the geeky reference teas.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/11/52teas-blueberry-cream-cheese-danish.html