White Chocolate Grasshopper Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Spearmint, Vanilla, Mint
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

• “Thanks to Batrachoid for this sample. This is really good. It is similar to DAVIDsTEA mint chocolate rooibos. But, this one has white chocolate with a honeybush base. It is nice...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 1118 tasting notes
  • “What must my mailman think of me? For nearly 4 years, all he delivered was bills, a card or two, and the odd package or two once or twice a year. I had 4 packages in my box today. Had 2...” Read full tasting note
    Madmama 902 tasting notes
  • “Well… I managed one sipdown tonight, at least! Although since I drank a whopping half cup of cold tea yesterday, I really needed to have made more progress than this today… Anyways,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3107 tasting notes
  • “Just received this in the mail this afternoon. I have to admit that this was one that I wasn’t sure if I’d order or not. I mean, it sounded good, but, I wasn’t sure if it was...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4837 tasting notes

From 52teas

One of our regulars is always trying to combine different combinations of vanilla and mint. His most recent favorite is blending our vanilla bean cheesecake chai with the mintastic. So, this one is for Truong.

Here’s a caffeine-free African honeybush blended with white chocolate chips, organic vanilla beans and fresh cut spearmint. Enjoy!

Our Tea of the Week for the week of October 5th, 2010

About 52teas View company

You know, the name of this tea was a big part of the reason why I got it. I mean, grasshopper tea? With white chocolate? Come on, how can that not be awesome?

It smells like creme de menthe liqueur mixed with white chocolate – very mouth-watering (I love white chocolate). At first the tea mostly tasted like mint and honeybush but when it cooled a bit the sweet choclolate and the vanilla were more easily apparent. The result is a lightly sweet, creamy tea with just the right amount of cool, refreshing mint. It’s a unique and delicious blend that’s another winner from 52Teas.

Where to begin? I had just gave into the naughty tea demons perched on my shoulder and purchased two of the 52 tea honeybush blends. It was daring, since I had yet to sample a honey bush tea, and red bush doesn’t get on with me for some reason.

Fast forward to the next week, the new teas hadn’t yet arrived & now there is a White Chocolate Grasshopper tea to be had. OMG!!! The tea demons were clamouring, the penny pinching angels were ’tsk’ing vigourously. How could I justify? How could I know? What do I do?

Well, guess what. I did it.
And when to came, it smelled of gentle spearmint bending on a white chocolate breeze. The tea (w/ milk) was amazing. Gentle, sweet. Minty. Chocolatey. Lovely. It lived up to the special magic that I feel with a cup of Tetley’s (the proper english tea) on a bad day…it was a ‘hug in a cup.’ But this wasn’t a bad day at all, this was cause for celebration. For this heralds the arrival of the “tea of happiness” :D

All is happy here in the world of tea. ….but I don’t even want to think what will happen when I run out. :O

Cofftea

I hate red bush. LOVE green bush though!

Very nice. I’ve learned that I don’t love tisanes, but this one is good as they go. Really lovely, sweet, just minty enough goodness. I tried it hot and cold, and definitely prefer it hot. What a nice variation on mint and honey bush, all rolled into one!

The last of the samples I ordered from Rachel!

This one sounded good in theory – I like honeybush, I like spearmint, and I like white chocolate. And it is both tasty and accurate to each of these flavors – however there’s something about the aroma that is really off putting. I don’t know what it is specifically, and why I only get it in the smell and not the taste – but it’s really taking away from what would be a pleasing late afternoon drink.

Boiling 8 min or more

This tea is pretty yummy. Definitely has a sweetness to it that I like (I think it’s the vanilla and perhaps the white chocolate), but also a nice mint component as well. I think that the mint is the dominant flavor, followed by the sweetness in the swallow. The honeybush is a fantastic background for these flavors. Not my favorite from 52Teas, but I’m glad that I tried a pouch. It’s a bit too much mint and not enough of the vanilla/chocolate. I might want to try this tea iced now that the weather is getting warmer!

How did I miss this? Oh how? How? :)

Sipdown (146)

I was putting on the dishwasher and had just enough room for my milk frother so I decided to make a latte. My original plan was to make Evol Ving Ness’s Apple Custard latte with honey but we are out of honey. So, I put honey on the shopping list and opted for another caffeine free tea I thought would make a good latte – it was between this and Intensely Buttermint. In the end, this obviously won out.

I ended up using the whole 1/2 oz portion for a 15 oz latte. I let it steep for about 8 minutes in slightly less than boiling water. I then prepped about 8 oz of milk to froth. The first thing I noticed once I finished prepping was that the latte was a lovely pink color…which matched my lovely pink mug: https://www.instagram.com/p/BBYxfYoPJeetn9n0_JpBqkFlNQFep2LVKSO2qo0/?taken-by=rachel12610

Anyways, as for the taste, I am pleased to say this doesn’t taste overly of honeybush. I wish I had some to try plain as I am not sure if it is the milk covering up the base flavor or the tea is just well flavored (I recall I had the problem a lot with 52 Teas where the honeybush drowned out everything else). The foundation flavor, besides the milk, is definitely the white chocolate. Usually I find white chocolate comes through more as a creaminess than the actual flavor but here it is a distinctive white chocolate taste. Building on the base, is the mint – sweet and creamy and present enough to keep things interesting. Floating throughout the mix, is the vanilla which ties everything together nicely.

This is exactly what I wanted when I got a white chocolate grasshopper tea so I am glad it all came together. Now I wish I knew if that was because of the prep method or the tea itself…

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more 8 tsp 15 OZ / 443 ML
Evol Ving Ness

It sounds delightful. I have a bit of this left. When I locate it, I will let you know. I tend to drink it straight up.

tigress_al

Oh man, now I wish I would have tried this as a latte way back in the day when I had it!

I received my 52Teas purchase on Friday and have been drinking away since then, though this weekend was anniversary weekend with the boyfriend, and we were out and about doing too many fun things for me to have a chance to log my teas on here!

I had this twice over the weekend. One cup was steeped about 8 minutes and the other was around 10 minutes. Both cups tasted about the same, though I feel like the 10 minute one was slightly creamier and sweeter. For me, the mint is the main flavor here. I don’t actually taste a chocolate flavor, but get more of a sweet creaminess that keeps this from being a straight mint tea. I may try adding milk to this to get more creaminess. I’ve never added milk to honeybush, is that a good idea or a terrible idea?

195 °F / 90 °C 8 min or more
gmathis

I’ve successfully put milk in sweeter rooibos blends, so I think honeybush would behave the same way…

review from NEW 52 teas.

I am a fan of this one. It won’t top my list of mint chocolate teas ever, but it’s a good one. What is particularly appealing to me is the use of spearmint. There never seems to be enough mint chocolate spearmint teas. this is like winter to me..that sensation when you brush your teeth and then suck cold air in to your mouth… only not as intense because of the white chocolate which smooths things out a little. Yep. I’ll enjoy my little sampler or this one.

It is evening, just a few hours before bedtime, and I find myself wondering what non-caffeinated tea I am going to drink.

Maple Oh Canada I think. And then, no, I decide against it. So, I rustle through my rooibos and honeybush stash.

Aha! White Chocolate Grasshopper Honeybush! Am I ready for risk-taking with an unknown—to me— tea at the moment?

I am almost certain that I am going to dislike this tea. Spearmint—-bah! Any mint, really.

I open the pouch. The dry leaf smells great: vanilla and mint. Fresh and fresh.

I boil the water. Because I don’t have a temperature-controlled teakettle, I add a couple of spoons of cold water to cool the water a bit and prevent that sour wood honeybush thing.

The steeped tea smells great: pretty much like the dry leaf smells. And the taste is right there too. The vanilla has mellowed the mint right out. The honeybush grounds the blend but stays in the background. A bit sweet, a bit herbal. Just right.

Not bad for an evening cup or two or three of a tea I was determined not to like.

Flavors: Spearmint, Vanilla