Buttered Popcorn

Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “Okie dokie, well, given my penchant for unusual tea flavors (with the exception of peanut butter flavored teas... sorry, still not going for it), you know I had to order this one. And ... OMG...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4661 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! 780. Well, it took me 11 months to get back to this one, but I have. And again, I got the most deliciously buttery aroma from the brewed up tea (which was unexpected, given the age and...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2606 tasting notes
  • “I had the last of my first pouch of this tea today (from the 12 days of Christmas sampler). I liked it a little bit more... but not enough to ever want it again. It does taste exactly like pop...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 160 tasting notes
  • “I don’t know what it is about this tea, but the flavors really fade over time. It doesn’t taste much like buttered popcorn anymore, and I was really careful to keep it in an air-tight container. ...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 551 tasting notes

From 52teas

I’ve been dragging my feet a bit this week, hoping I would get in some supplies I’ve been waiting for to create a more Thanksgiving-like blend, but I guess I will just have to save that idea for our special secret Christmas blend (See the “12 Teas of Christmas” post below).

Even though this may not be considered as Thanksgiving-like as what I had planned, I think you’re all going to be blown away by this.

Our premium black teas blended with real popped corn and natural flavors. P.S. This blend IS vegan-friendly!

Our new Tea of the Week for the week of November 22nd, 2010

About 52teas View company

This is crazy, it actually tastes buttery. The dry leaves smell absolutely AMAZING! The finished product tastes great as well. I found this one to be disturbingly similar to the real deal. Very cool!

Now, most people wouldn’t think of popcorn as either a tea flavoring or as a Thanksgiving thing. Luckily, Frank thought of it as the first, and I’ve always had popcorn at some point over the Thanksgiving hols, ever since watching Charlie Brown and Snoopy making their Thanksgiving feast.

The smell reminds me of the Buttered Cinnamon Raisin Toast tea…rich and buttery. The taste is also rich and buttery…the movie popcorn butter type of buttery. Almost like you’ve got a big mouthful of movie popcorn in your mouth and wash it down with hot tea (though the actual popcorn taste is more of an aftertaste to me). The black tea base is bold and stands up well to the flavorings.

And if you like kettle corn, add agave nectar like LiberTEAS did. NOM!!! The flavors aren’t masked at all by the nectar, and that touch of sweetness gives it this amazing kettle corn taste. I must get some caramel syrup to try with it…caramel corn!!

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

That does it…I need to order this one.

Jaime

You won’t regret it.

This is the last tea from the 12 teas of Christmas that I hadn’t tried.

I didn’t think I was going to like this, because I cannot stand that popcorn flavored jelly bean. But it is so very different because the butter here is not disgusting.

It is a savory tea, that’s for sure. It’s a lot like pancake breakfast, but I think even more buttery. The popcorn taste isn’t nasty at all. It’s like a salty aftertaste, with more of a savory taste from the grain. I like it.

We’ll see if it’s enough of a like to spring for some more.

Vegan friendly :)
this is the tea equivalent of the Jelly Belly Jelly Bean World of Buttered popcorn-just in Tea ;)
it nicely combines a smooth black tea with buttery popcorn. Not too weird and nice to drink. It’s more subtle, which is good, because then the flavors might get weird…maybe it’s like the black tea equivalent of genmai cha ?..but without the history behind it…and that slight seaweed taste. It’s nice having the buttery-toasty aroma come at you while you are sipping. fun, different
Anyway, I like it….
ok, headed to Times Square on a Christmas Eve to work :/

TeaBrat

The whole thought of this just seems so odd to me but everyone seems to like it!

rmark25

It all comes together nicely, though and is not that strange after you try it. The flavors are subtle enough

Holy crap. 6 pouches of tea from Frank came yesterday (didn’t get the mail in til this morning). And I still have one more coming! Luckily 1 is for a friend… wait. Who am I kidding? 6 pouches is not much better than 7 lol.

I was so excited when Frank made a 3rd of my ideas come to fruition even though I was thinking using a Chinese sencha for a flavored and Chinese ode to gen mai cha. But I can definitely see this as a black tea so it’s all good.

When I open the package I can definitely tell there are at least 2 different black teas in the base. I just wish I knew what the were. But it smells… almost fruity?

Based on the steeping parameters I would have thought this would have been darker than dark, but it’s almost caramely… it even has that milky quality to it. The taste is oddly caramely too… I’m not going to rate this til I figure out what went wrong. I do know the base needs a bit of lapsang souchong and it needs salt. Several of Frank’s teas need salt. I wish he’d put it in for us.

I think the appeal of this lies quite simply on how much you want to taste popcorn in tea form. The popcorn taste is impressively spot-on and tasty (and becomes kettle corn if you sweeten it, yum!) but personally I think I’d rather just eat popcorn. Nonetheless, these odd tea flavors from 52teas are a lot of fun to sample, and that’s more than I can say for a lot of tea!

Well after reading all the reviews I am glad to see that I wasn’t the only one who thought this tea smelled fruity which is kinda of weird… I sweetened this because that is what I do with all my teas, I was not sure how it was going to turn out but it was pretty pleasant. This is one of the teas that I wanted to try but not buy such a large amount. It does taste like popcorn a bit smokey almost. I get just a hint of butter at the end. I think I may have steeped a bit to long though because the black tea is pretty astringent. I am really glad to try it but it wouldn’t have been something that I would keep around. Nice job though Frank for getting the flavors correct.

Thank you CHAroma for a sample of this one a while back! One of the 52Teas blends I’ve always wanted to try. This blend seems to be black tea with some popcorn pieces with flavoring. This is NOT like a genmaicha blend, but rather than corn, genmaicha is actually popped rice anyway. I’m taking into consideration that this isn’t the freshest blend, but the flavor isn’t bad. There is a flavor that could be buttery popcorn. Certainly a little buttery and a little savory. The black tea tastes a little like hay, tomato soup, and a little like the new base I don’t like. The second steep somehow still had popcorn flavor. But if you’re looking for this flavor, you might as well be drinking a genmaicha. Always willing to try any tea though!
Steep #1 // couple minutes after boiling // 3 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min

First Try! (with salt and cooler brew temp)

How I got my brew on…
Brew amount: 1 level teaspoon to approx. 8 oz. of water
Brew temp: 200°f (definitely getting a new kettle after the holidays have passed)
Brew length: Approx. 5 minutes (forgot to set the timer but kept an eye on the clock)
Added: A pinch of salt, after first sip

Smells like…
In the bag: Nothing at all. I opened the bag, sniffed, and smelled nada. Very strange.
In the cup: A faint buttery note but no popcorn :(

Tastes like:
Without salt: Black tea with a far-away whisper of butter.
With salt: Holy cow. Butter galore. A little too much butter for my taste. Slightly fruity black tea base.
Aftertaste: Faint (in this case I mean almost non-existent) popcorn

Second Try! (with sugar, hotter brew temp)

How I got my brew on…
Brew amount: 1 heaping teaspoon to 8 oz. water
Brew temp: 210°f (took a lot of work to get my poor kettle to boil water to this temp!)
Brew length: 5 minutes
Added: Sugar and a pinch of salt.

Smells like…
Corn pops cereal! Yummy.

Tastes like…
With sugar: Black tea with a hint of butter. No popcorn to be found.
With sugar and a pinch of salt: Black tea with a hint of salty butter.
Aftertaste: Salt and butter, with a hint of popcorn. Wow. Finally! :D

Note:
The color was light and somewhat yellow for a black tea. Does this have something to do with flavorings? Or perhaps the blend of black teas used?

Overall…
A nice novelty but not one that I would drink on a regular basis and I’m not sure I’ll keep this one around.