Hot Buttered Banana Bread

banana, Cake, Butter, Walnut, Baked Bread
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

• “This is up there on my ‘top 5’ 52teas list. Mostly because with milk and sugar this tastes exactly like the banana bread my mom made when I was little (that I asked for instead of a...” Read full tasting note
    joonsusanna 863 tasting notes
  • “OK… I’m having that second cup now. I really like this. The banana is sweet, a subtle nutty flavor from the walnut, and a nice bakey taste to it too. Creamy smooth buttery finish. ...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “This is definitely one of Frank’s better blends. He seems to be kind of pro at breakfast/baked good black tea blends. :) I really am enjoying this tea. It definitely tastes like banana bread....” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 809 tasting notes
  • “I’m a huge fan of banana bread with walnuts, so I was delighted to have got my little paws on the last of this. 1 teaspoon per 8 ounces, 3 minutes at 200 degrees in my Breville One-Touch. The...” Read full tasting note
    ashleyannie 158 tasting notes

From 52teas

Here’s our premium black teas blended with real freeze-dried bananas, chopped walnuts and natural flavors. The banana is a bit strong on the nose, but the bread, walnuts and touch of butter are all there in the cup. This is an awesome tea, probably even better with a touch of cream and sugar. I’m looking forward to all of your reviews on Steepster.

About 52teas View company

At, you will find unique, hand-blended artisan loose leaf teas: a new limited edition creation every week of the year. We pride ourselves on offering truly unique, one-of-a-kind tea blends that you won’t find anywhere else.

It is minus 2 degrees outside and this tea is perfect – so comforting with the walnut, banana and butter flavors.

Banana flavoured teas are making their way up my favourites list. This summer, I enjoyed some herbal and rooibos banana blends which I enjoyed but generally found the base too light.

And now, bam, banana and a black tea base.

I tried not to get my hopes up too much, because we know how that goes when you are anticipating a distinct flavour combination and the reality becomes quite different.

The scent of the dry leaf is just lovely and enticing sweet and true banana. There are bits of broken dry banana slices throughout the tea.

The black tea base is extra lovely and to my taste, well-suited to flavouring. Medium body. Just assertive enough to be present and sturdy enough to carry the flavours.

True clear banana flavour with a bit of cake/sweet bread at the end of the sip. Just like banana bread, really. Just clear and true. No other flavours intruding or muddying things up, happily.

Very enjoyable. As I make my way through my cup and then my second, my rating of this tea has steadily creeped up from my initial assessment at 80 to 95. This tea may well find a place beside my beloved Buttered Rum. I cannot find anything wrong with this tea nor can I think of what might somehow make this tea absolutely perfect, but somehow resist giving it a 100.

Thankfully, I ordered a large packet of this, so I look forward to many future steepings.

Well done, Anne of 52teas! A really nice tea.

Flavors: banana, Cake

Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Thank you! :)

1963 tasting notes

I tried this one yesterday along with everyone else. I don’t know how Sil brewed it, but she tends to go with hotter temperatures than I do, for about the same amount of time.

So the base was a little too present, but I think it’d be fantastic with some milk and/or some sugar to bring the banana flavour out. I ordered some, because although I thought I was against banana flavours, it turns out that I love them. :)

Maddy Barone

I enjoy this one!

I’m really impressed with the three teas I’ve tried. And the west coastal people have now done a bigger order and I’m stealing bits from all their bags. Hehehe.

I really love it with milk and a dash of sugar, it totally reminds me of banana bread with cream cheese on it (where without milk its just banana bread!)

Another one from yesterday courtesy of Indigobloom I was less impressed with this one because i think i always want more banana in teas. Not cough syrup flavoured banana, but real bananas. I liked that while this one was too subtle for me, you could still get the sense of it being not just “banana” tea, but banana bread. :)

Next month I will have an amazing banana tea. :)

drool yes please!

Another banana tea? SOLD!!!

This review is for the new 52teas 2015 reblend, courtesy of Indigobloom (thanks!!)

The five of us kind of split a mug of this shortly before OMGsrsly had to head to the airport, so we wouldn’t have quite so much tea to drink. Good plan, as we all then tasted the same thing. I was quite fond of this, and felt like it tasted quite like banana bread, with a distinct lack of runts flavour, and a lovely buttery/bready essence. Apparently I was in the minority, however, which was ok because that meant I got to finish the mug!

Anyways, I’d happily order some of this to have around. Tasty.

(I ordered some! AHH!!!)

Milk or no milk, I do adore this tea!!

Another excellent tea from 52Teas! So sweet, creamy and buttery before I even added a splash of milk. I think I detect a slight bit of spice in there too. I don’t get the banana flavor, but I imagine that is me and my failure of a nose. Teas like this make me want to bake. But today it was way, way, WAY too hot for that. Heck the overnight low is expected to be 77, which just makes me want to cry. The air conditioner is struggling valiantly along, but it’s still darned hot in my apartment, so I won’t re-steep this one. I’m going to put it carefully away and save it for this fall. It is worth keeping.

Resteep as an overnight cold steep maybe?

Maddy Barone

Maybe next time. The weather is gloriously cool and rainy today. Perfect weather for a cuppa and a book.

:) Sounds like a great plan.

I need to preface this review: I had been reading about this company for several months and was wowed by the positive reviews only to find the company was closed (but on the verge of re-opening!) Once they did, I chose my samples wisely and figured I couldn’t go wrong with the highly praised ones. I just had to order from 52teas again after running out of my “Sun & Clouds” sample. 52teas, you are going to cause me to go broke! I can’t resist buy samples of new flavors I think I will love!

And now, this tea. I knew this would be one of the teas I would try if they offered it again. By the time I saw it, I’m guessing the samples were all sold out. SIGH. Let’s be real – $12 is a lot to spend to find out if you even like a tea. So for a couple of days I thought about it, would it be worth it? What if was really good and I missed out? Oh well, I bought it anyways. SO GLAD I did. It’s amazing.

It seriously does taste like hot, walnutt-y banana bread! I drank it so fast. I am going to hoard this, I can tell. =)

Flavors: banana, Butter, Walnut

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I love banana bread and the flavor of this is spot-on DELICIOUS! Add sweetener and it’s like drinking desert from a cup. I let my daughter sample it and she requested that we order some asap, so I really hope that he re-blends this soon.

Thank you NayLynn for adding this to the TTB! This has been a lot of fun…now I have to look up who added the others. :))

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter

TTB&C #18

I pulled out a tsp of this last night before packaging up the box. I steeped this for 2 mins, per some suggestions for 52 Teas I have seen recently. I also added a tad bit of sugar since I was hunting around the house for chocolate:) I get a subtle hint of bananna and a bakery like teaste. This isn’t too bad. I am thinking the 2 min steep time might be a sweet spot for the 52 teas. Will have to try it with a few of the others I own. Thank you for including this NayLynn!

Just enough in a cheeky little sample from the wonderful ashleyelizabeth for me to brew up a pot of dessert, topped off with some vanilla soy. Yes, perfect with creamer and sweetener (or a creamer/sweetener duo like vanilla soy!); not as good on its own. But who needs to drink this on its own anyway? Yum.

3 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML