Hot Buttered Banana Bread

Baked Bread, banana, Nuts, Sweet, Tea, Butter, Cake, Walnut
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Magycmyste

• “This is up there on my ‘top 5’ 52teas list. Mostly because with milk and sugar this tastes exactly like the banana bread my mom made when I was little (that I asked for instead of a...” Read full tasting note
    joonsusanna 863 tasting notes
  • “OK… I’m having that second cup now. I really like this. The banana is sweet, a subtle nutty flavor from the walnut, and a nice bakey taste to it too. Creamy smooth buttery finish. ...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “This is definitely one of Frank’s better blends. He seems to be kind of pro at breakfast/baked good black tea blends. :) I really am enjoying this tea. It definitely tastes like banana bread....” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 818 tasting notes
  • “I’m a huge fan of banana bread with walnuts, so I was delighted to have got my little paws on the last of this. 1 teaspoon per 8 ounces, 3 minutes at 200 degrees in my Breville One-Touch. The...” Read full tasting note
    ashleyannie 158 tasting notes

From 52teas

Here’s our premium black teas blended with real freeze-dried bananas, chopped walnuts and natural flavors. The banana is a bit strong on the nose, but the bread, walnuts and touch of butter are all there in the cup. This is an awesome tea, probably even better with a touch of cream and sugar. I’m looking forward to all of your reviews on Steepster.

About 52teas View company

It is minus 2 degrees outside and this tea is perfect – so comforting with the walnut, banana and butter flavors.

OMGsrsly was kind enough to send me a sample of this and I really feel bad for asking – I know how much she liked it.

This is just ok for me. The flavors just aren’t as bold as I would like – nothing offensive just a little flat for my tastes.
Thanks for the opportunity.

OMGsrsly

I seriously don’t mind. I liked it while I had it, but I have so much… there’s no point hoarding anything.

From OMGsrsly!

When my Ontario Tea Friends here on Steepster all met up back, uhh, whenever that was they all tried this tea together and not gonna lie I kind of felt like I missed out on a cool experience getting to do a group tasting with people actually interested in tea to the same caliber I am. So, when I got OMGsrsly’s package and saw this tea included I made sure it was the first tea I steeped up because I just had to know what it was like not only because it’s the first 52Teas blend by Anne I’ve tried but because they all got to try it…

I made my mug with milk, by the way. I still have enough of OMGsrsly’s sample to try it plain if I want to, but milk just seemed appropriate to pair with this one. Initial thoughts: The black base Anne’s using is DEFINITELY an improvement upon Frank’s. Frank’s base just had this incredibly strong and distinct flavour that was really unpleasant. I always want to describe it as “starchy”. But this is smooth with a lovely bouquet of malty notes. I absolutely love that not only can I taste the base really well, but it also doesn’t seem to be competing with the flavouring and isn’t drowned out by it either.

On the flip side; one of my favourite things from “Frank era” 52Teas was his banana flavouring. I will never forget Keychange and I discussing on tasting notes how much we “loved Frank’s banana”. Something about the way he conveyed that particular flavour was very well executed and while I enjoy the banana in this tea quite a lot I have to begrudgingly admit that it’s really not the same. This is sweet and accurate to “Banana Bread” but somehow not as… lively?

Other things worth note: There’s a nuttyness to this tea which is super pleasant and accurate to banana bread that also does a wonderful job adding dimension to the flavour. Also, the “Buttered” part of the banana bread isn’t really coming through for me, but at the same time I don’t particularly feel it’s needed to convey the idea well and in a tasty, appealing way. Overall; as my first taste of “Anne era” 52Teas I think this was a success and it definitely makes me feel better about backing the kickstarter and the order I’ll be placing… Eventually.

Seriously; I swear I will place an order eventually! There’s just only three teas I’m interested in currently and that shipping is kinda killing me…

LiberTEAS

The shipping kills me too! It boggles my mind that I live here in Washington and Canada is like … right there! And I can ship something to Florida for 3 bucks while to ship the same exact package to BC costs 8 bucks!

tigress_al

Same here with the shipping issue :(

keychange

Frank sure had a powerful banana ;) ! and you need to come to Ontario and join in on a tea meet one day…or we can all troop out there!

Evol Ving Ness

Shipping fees suck, seriously. On the flip side, I can’t even image how many more orders I would be making with 52teas if the shipping costs were not as outrageous. Incredible self-discipline and all that.

Fjellrev

I totally would order if shipping weren’t so brutal too. :/

This version is from the 52Teas reboot.

Good tea with a touch of sweetness. It takes a bit of resting on my tongue for the banana bread to come out, but it’s definitely there, just hiding in the background, waiting for the tea to step out of the spotlight so it can peek out from behind the curtain.

This is a very nice tea, but I’m not getting quite enough banana bread flavor. What’s there blends beautifully with the black tea, but there isn’t quite enough of it to stand out. This might be another case of my needing to enhance it with a bit of milk and sugar but… I almost never remember to do that. I like others from this brand better.

I am starting to wonder if I’m doing so wrong, or maybe I’m still developing my tea tasting buds. I’ve enjoyed all the teas I’ve tasted from 52Teas so far, but there seem to be several where I don’t quite pick up on the flavors as much as I’d like. Then again, when I do get it, it’s generally a home run for me. It’s like the tea equivalent of BPAL for me.

Flavors: Baked Bread, banana, Nuts, Sweet, Tea

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
52Teas

I don’t think that it’s something you’re doing wrong. Everybody’s palate is a little different. :)

Banana flavoured teas are making their way up my favourites list. This summer, I enjoyed some herbal and rooibos banana blends but generally found the base too light.

And now, bam, banana and a black tea base.

I tried not to get my hopes up too much, because we know how that goes when you are anticipating a distinct flavour combination and the reality becomes quite different.

The scent of the dry leaf is just lovely and enticing sweet and true banana. There are bits of broken dry banana slices throughout the tea.

The black tea base is extra lovely and to my taste, well-suited to flavouring. Medium body. Just assertive enough to be present and sturdy enough to carry the flavours.

True clear banana taste with a bit of cake/sweet bread at the end of the sip. Just like banana bread, really. Just clear and true. No other flavours intruding or muddying things up, happily.

Very enjoyable. As I make my way through my cup and then my second, my rating of this tea has steadily creeped up from my initial assessment at 80 to 95. This tea may well find a place beside my beloved Buttered Rum. I cannot find anything wrong with this tea nor can I think of what might somehow make this tea absolutely perfect, but somehow resist giving it a 100.

Thankfully, I ordered a large packet of this, so I look forward to many future steepings.

Well done, Anne of 52teas! A really nice tea.

Flavors: banana, Cake

Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Thank you! :)

Yum. But it’s gone now.

That’s OK. I enjoyed it, and might revisit in the future if the CAD ever recovers against the USD.

kristinalee

What was the cause of the deflation? Was it the collapse of the Euro and the fact that the USD got closer than it’s been in the past to that?

Er, inflation, I mean.

kristinalee

I’m just curious because during my year in Montreal (about 9 years ago), the difference was only about 10 or 12 cents, and I was astounded when I looked it up recently. Hadn’t realized things had changed that much.

Roswell Strange

There are a few things that play into it, but it kind of boils down to being because of the collapse of oil prices.

I have no idea.

kristinalee

Yeah, I just looked it up and found the oil answer.

kristinalee

Does it have to do with the Keystone Pipeline?

kristinalee

Okay, it looks like it has more to do with Canada’s economy being more dependent on oil exports. I hadn’t realized that.

OMGsrsly

Facebook is telling me: “Canadian Dollar: Value of National Currency Decreases Following Decline in US Stock Market”

That is as much as I know.

kristinalee

USD should fall in that case, though, and it’s gone up in value against other international currencies (which I had not realized until just now). Has something to do with OPEC loosening quotas and the fall of oil prices.

kristinalee

And apparently the US economy is less dependent on oil exports than a lot of other countries.

Lindsay

Yeah, the price of oil dropped dramatically and the CAD followed it. Oil isn’t actually as big a part of our economy as some politicians would have you believe, but the oil we do sell (especially the stuff extracted from the tar sands) is more expensive to produce than the stuff that just comes out of the ground in other places, so the price drop hits our industry particularly hard. I think the idea is that OPEC is deliberately setting the price of oil low, so that the smaller/more expensive operations like those in Canada will go out of business, and then once they’ve eliminated a good bunch of the competition they’ll hike the prices up again.

Totally feel your pain.

Evol Ving Ness

About the dollar and cross-border tea shopping.

I think the sad state of the Canadian dollar might also have something to do with the sad state of manufacturing in this country as well.

Another one from yesterday courtesy of Indigobloom I was less impressed with this one because i think i always want more banana in teas. Not cough syrup flavoured banana, but real bananas. I liked that while this one was too subtle for me, you could still get the sense of it being not just “banana” tea, but banana bread. :)

52Teas

Next month I will have an amazing banana tea. :)

drool yes please!

Indigobloom

Another banana tea? SOLD!!!

Review for the new 52teas reblend.

Enjoyed this tea enough at the Toronto meet-up that I picked up my own bag of it. No regrets. It’s a great black tea; I enjoy the bold base (picked up some astringency but that would be me oversteeping/overleafing… it’s much more tolerant than other black bases I’ve tried), and it truly does taste like banana bread. Complete with bready flavours and ripe banana. I don’t really like banana bread, but I enjoy this tea. Haha.

Chey

Yum! This sounds so good and cosy! Banana bread is always something that reminds me of my nan’s home growing up. I’ve never tried any of 52teas blends. I really ought to!

Another excellent tea from 52Teas! So sweet, creamy and buttery before I even added a splash of milk. I think I detect a slight bit of spice in there too. I don’t get the banana flavor, but I imagine that is me and my failure of a nose. Teas like this make me want to bake. But today it was way, way, WAY too hot for that. Heck the overnight low is expected to be 77, which just makes me want to cry. The air conditioner is struggling valiantly along, but it’s still darned hot in my apartment, so I won’t re-steep this one. I’m going to put it carefully away and save it for this fall. It is worth keeping.

OMGsrsly

Resteep as an overnight cold steep maybe?

Maddy Barone

Maybe next time. The weather is gloriously cool and rainy today. Perfect weather for a cuppa and a book.

OMGsrsly

:) Sounds like a great plan.

I need to preface this review: I had been reading about this company for several months and was wowed by the positive reviews only to find the company was closed (but on the verge of re-opening!) Once they did, I chose my samples wisely and figured I couldn’t go wrong with the highly praised ones. I just had to order from 52teas again after running out of my “Sun & Clouds” sample. 52teas, you are going to cause me to go broke! I can’t resist buy samples of new flavors I think I will love!

And now, this tea. I knew this would be one of the teas I would try if they offered it again. By the time I saw it, I’m guessing the samples were all sold out. SIGH. Let’s be real – $12 is a lot to spend to find out if you even like a tea. So for a couple of days I thought about it, would it be worth it? What if was really good and I missed out? Oh well, I bought it anyways. SO GLAD I did. It’s amazing.

It seriously does taste like hot, walnutt-y banana bread! I drank it so fast. I am going to hoard this, I can tell. =)

Flavors: banana, Butter, Walnut