Mayan Chocolate Chai

Black Chai Blend
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Nutmeg
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

2 Images

• “Got this as a gift from the wonderful and smart Carolyn! I love chais. And I love chocolate. And I love things w/ chili/red pepper. I have my chais 2 ways, w/ and w/o milk. I don’t sweeten my...” Read full tasting note
    Cofftea 865 tasting notes
  • HOLY CRAP. My throat is on fire! I just drank an unsweetened/milk-free sip of the tea and it’s ridiculousy spicy. Definitely need Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3034 tasting notes
  • TTB 1.2 I’ve heard a lot of great things about this tea but I admit I was a bit afraid of the cayenne included in this blend. The dry tea smells really good –...” Read full tasting note
    mrawlins2 1015 tasting notes
  • “I’ve been awake for a few hours and just feeling kind of blah… when it occurred to me that I hadn’t taken the time to make myself a cup of tea. You see, my youngest is a bit...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes

From 52teas

The Mayans worshiped a chocolate deity and every year, they sacrificed a chocolate colored dog to it. Kind of nasty. Not at all like this awesome tea.

It has been called “a delicious kick in the mouth”: Our traditional masala chai blended with organic cacao nibs and cayenne pepper! Hold on to your tastebuds, this tea has some BITE!

Ingredients: Assam tea, ginger root pieces, cinnamon, green cardamom, cacao nibs, almonds, cayenne pepper, natural and/or artificial flavors.

About 52teas View company

At, you will find unique, hand-blended artisan loose leaf teas: a new limited edition creation every week of the year. We pride ourselves on offering truly unique, one-of-a-kind tea blends that you won’t find anywhere else.

While most chai teas would like to add that extra kick by making the spices stronger, thus intensifying the chai flavor, this tea does it differently.

By keeping the flavor intact, simply adding cayenne pepper seems to give a well balanced chai taste while giving you that extra kick in the mouth.

This tea, while bringing the heat, is bloody delicious as well, definitely igniting a fire of flavor in every sip.

Southern Boy Teas

One of our Twitter followers once said of this tea, “It’s a delicious kick in the mouth.” I always thought that was a great description. Glad you are enjoying our teas. :)

I should start off by saying that chai is my favorite kind of tea. Ever. So when I saw 52teas offering this as part of their end of year top 10, I jumped at the chance to try it. It smells wonderful in the package, but I was a little concerned about the overwhelming amount of cayenne pepper I could see in the bag. Turns out, that concern was well founded. It’s hard to say whether I liked the other flavors of this tea as the cayenne just overpowers the rest of it. It needed more of the cinnamon and chocolate and way less of the cayenne, though the pepper in moderation would add just the right amount of spicy to this blend. All in all, it was okay, but I don’t think I’ll be ordering it again.

Starla, if you’re looking to rehome this I’d be more that willing to love and cherish it for you. Just let me know what you’d like in return.

I am currently sipping on a cup of this – a reblend. This tea was requested as a reblend as part of a “You Choose the Reblend” incentive tier from the start-up Kickstarter campaign and I am taste testing it now. (It will be added on the website – in limited quantities – on Monday, November 23 after it’s been first offered to the person who ordered the reblend and to those that contributed at a certain level on our Kickstarter campaign.)

This is really good. I changed the recipe a bit because first of all, my black tea base is different. Second, I used cacao shells in the blend in addition to roasted cacao nibs and mini VEGAN chocolate chips. Third, I used crushed chili pepper flakes instead of cayenne pepper powder because it’s easier to distribute the pepper flakes throughout the chai than it is to ensure that the powder remains properly distributed.

This is really good. Spicy! Lots of chocolate flavor. It starts out more chocolate-y than spicy, with just a really warm yet gentle heat on the back of the throat. Then as i continue to sip, the heat develops, becoming spicier and warmer. By the time I finished the cup, my tongue was tingly with heat (but not so much that I felt like I needed to eat or drink something to cancel out the heat) and I could feel a burn on the throat, but not uncomfortably so.

I find this to have a perfect balance between spicy heat and sweet chocolate flavors.

My first 52teas I received from BrewTEAlly Sweet’s Sale in February. After reading the tasting notes of this I could not wait to try this and burn my mouth. This being the main complaint I figured it would be perfect for me and my husband.

I tried this as soon as I received it, I was so excited to try this until I smelled it the smell reminds me of a spicy cologne my grandfather would wear. I figured maybe that was because it was a “mans…..tea made to appeal to men, but I have not noticed this bothering anyone else. The taste, all I remember all I remember is I felt like I would be sick if I continued to drink it. I can’t get past the smell, just thinking about it makes my stomach churn.

Luckily my husband likes this and it did not go to waste. I’ve made this as a latte with 2t sugar for my husband and I took a few sips before giving it to him. So, I’m glad all the spicy heat was not lost and the milk helped mute the smell for me. Tonight I iced it for him with a little milk and sugar, I forgot to try it again but I’m happy it is gone

So I like spicy, but holy crap is this tea ever spicy!! Like so spicy that I ended up giving it to my boyfriend (who really likes it, so maybe that justifies the mantea label). Now and then though, I crave this blend. You can taste both the chocolate and the spice equally. It is definitely a milk and sugar kind of tea though. Particularly the latter.