LiberTEAs’ Tomato, Basil & Black Pepper

Edit tea info Last updated by Sara

From 52teas

When our good friend, LiberTEAs asked us to create this blend, I have to admit that I tabled the idea for a few days, thinking she would forget about it. We’ve created some unusual blends, but tomato, basil and black pepper? Really?

Well, she didn’t forget about it and though it took me a while, here we are.

We’ve blended our premium Indian black teas with just a tiny touch of lapsang souchoung, sun-dried tomatoes, black peppercorns, basil and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

I can really taste the black pepper today! Perfect with polenta & veg and tomato sauce for lunch.

TeaEqualsBliss

I’m so hungry and this pairing sounds awesome :)

Janefan

This tea is great with any remotely “Italian” food. Hmm, I wonder if you could use it in place of some of the broth in a risotto…?

LiberTEAS

Yum… yes, it sounds great with Polenta.

As I have been sorting through my tea stash (it’s quite an undertaking, let me tell you), I have been coming across some teas that I stashed away because I knew I wouldn’t have the opportunity to order them again, among them was this … which is one of my favorite teas from 52Teas (in the top three… probably the top 2, second only to the French Vanilla Assam) It’s so yummy. Savory and wonderful, like a nourishing bowl of homemade tomato soup (not that nasty stuff that comes in a can) … only better, because it is also tea. It’s like combining two of my favorite comfort foods in one. Now… if somehow chocolate would go well with this, then I’d be in tea heaven.

And even though it has been a while since I’ve had this, it still tastes wonderful. I do need to try this with the bacon flavored tea, which means I’m probably going to have to buy more of the bacon flavored tea… and I think that I should also try it with the jalapeno tea just for fun.

LOVE

BTVSGal

Wow…never thought that there could be a soup tea. Sounds interesting,probably great to cook with/

Azzrian

Dang wish I had some thanks for sharing the info in case they make it again!

Thomas Edward(Toad)

Sounds good to me.

seule771

Soupy or soup like?

This is quite peppery today, and I can pick up a hint of smoke and the basil, but am missing out on the tomato, as I think I did last time. It’s probably because there wasn’t a chunk of sundried tomato – I should have added one in. Definitely a savoury blend, though!

Scatterbrain

Interesting.

Stephanie

I didn’t realize this was a thing!

Lariel

That sounds like a pasta flavour.

Kittenna

Yes, yes it does, haha.

RogersCK

Wow, that sounds very savory. Very interesting!

oh man i love this…except my brain thinks this is soup. not tea. thank you kittenna! really…this is super tasty delicious! It’s a savoury tea and though kittenna didn’t get much tomato, i for sure am. The black pepper adds a certain spiciness that i love. I can taste both the pepper and basil in this one. YUM! so glad i got to try this one out!

Wow – a huge thanks to LiberTEAS for instigating a swap with me!
Not only did she send me an amazing package, she was awesome enough to send me a sample of the famous blend!!! Thank you !

The flavour is over the top. I only used 1.5 teaspoons and a pinch of seasoning salt, steeped for 3 minutes and I’m in love.

Some reviews have mentioned that you have to be in the right mood for a tea like this. I think I would agree – but luckily for me, I was in the perfect mood! I had a suuuper sweet lunch and breakfast and was craving something salty and savoury. This seriously did the trick.

The strongest flavour I’m getting is basil, with the sweetness of the sundried tomatoes and then finally the black pepper kick at the end. It’s subtle but definitely there.

My favorite part about this tea is that it tastes like tea~! It’s blended perfectly, the black base with the hint of smokiness from the lapsang souchong (it really is the perfect amount) is so satisfying.

Thank you LiberTEAs for letting me try this seriously one of a kind tea! I’m a fan. :)

(Also, this tea will be the very first review to christen my blog! ee!)

Mélissa

Sounds great!

Decided to play w/ this a bit and add 1/8tsp each dried oregano and garlic powder and have it w/ my lunch (Left over buffalo chicken pizza I added pineapple and corn to dipped in tetziki sauce w/ a pear and a salad w/ cucumber, carrot, cranberries, and shreadded coconut w/ Italian dressing.)

Now this looks like tomato soup! While pale, it’s red and slightly opaque. Smells like tomato soup too!

OHMYWOW! This is so good! The oregano and garlic really beat the lapsang into submition to the point where it’s pretty much hiding. It does make the tomatoes taste as if they’re fire roasted instead of stewed though. For a person who hates tomato juice and exceptionally watery pasta sauces, I’m shocked I love this so much. This cuppa absolutely gets a 100 in my book.

A salsa flavored tea would be good! Tomato, black and red pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic… maybe a version w/ a bit of watermelon and mango (the type of salsa I like on my fish tacos).

Sara

A salsa flavored tea sounds amazing! This one makes me suddenly all into the idea of savory flavored teas – a whole new world has opened up to me!

Cofftea

I love savory teas!

Sara

I saw that, I was just hunting through your page for recommendations and about to follow you when I saw you followed me! Awesome. :)

One thing I love: tomatoes. One thing I don’t: most black teas. Here is how good this tea is: I got mine in the mail, made myself a cup, and was not even halfway through it before I got back on 52teas.com and ordered the very last package of the stuff. Each ingredient stands out – smoky, sun-dried tomatoes, the flat intrigue of basil, the spicy purr of black pepper. One of the most creative and marvelous-tasting cups of tea I’ve ever experienced. Bravo, Frank.