Pancake Breakfast Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves, Marigold Petals, Organic Flavours
Butter, Nuts
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by hapatite

2 Images

• “Tea of breakfast yesterday, with some creamer. I wanted pancakes but was all out of maple syrup. Luckily I had this on hand - got all the buttery maple syrup flavors I needed without having to...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Something really important happened this weekend... Something important enough to keep me away from tea and Steepster for a weekend! ... It was my 27 birthday!!! 27... Wow... I feel like I was just...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 158 tasting notes
  • “This one is easily my fave of 52Teas. I love the combo of maple syrup and butter - pancakes without the calories! Since I let this steep for the length of the cup, second infusions don't go too...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes
  • “I just downed a gigantic plate of tofu nuggets like nobodies business whilst drinking this and Prairie Berry. It seems like a totally strange combination of flavours, but somehow it really worked?...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1811 tasting notes

From 52teas

I’m tempted to start this post with, “You’re not going to believe what we did this week!” But we’ve created enough unique, one-of-a-kind blends, that I imagine our unique-ness is getting rather ho-hum.

But seriously? Who else would bring you a PANCAKE BREAKFAST tea? With the essence of hot, buttery, maple-syruped pancakes infused through our premium black teas (a bit heavier on the breakfast teas this week). Who else, really?

Our new Tea of the Week for the week of April 4th, 2011

About 52teas View company

Thank you goes to Mercuryhime for this sample!
Pancake breakfast, what a strange and intriguing flavor for a tea! I can taste the maple and the butter, but I’m not able to pick out the pancake part. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to let the other flavors let my imagination fill in the pancake part or it there is a component that I am missing. Either way, I like it and am glad I got to try it.

Yvonne

Mmmm…this is on my must try list.

I’m not sure how to feel about this tea… The smell is heavenly, like sweet maple cake. The taste is another story. The black tea is too strong for the delicate flavors, and the sweet flavor isn’t helped at all by the bitter notes. I wanted to love this, and I’m just not sure I can.

So my first cup of this was terrible. I must have oversteeped it too long or something because it was really bitter and tasted of maple and this odd flat wooden flavour like bad pipe tobacco that I really didn’t like. So I tried again.

The dry leaves smell strongly of maple and a little bit like rum to me. I made the second cup with a shorter steeping time and a bit more sugar (a rounded teaspoon rather than a level one) and a splash of milk because I like to with black teas.

On to the taste: I don’t pick up much of a ‘pancake’ taste, but it is definitely mapley and buttery and sweet and quite good. There’s still an odd ‘wooden’ taste in the background but it’s not so strong that I can’t overlook it. All in all, this is a very interesting tea, but it will probably go into my ever-increasing swap list.

I really enjoy this tea in the mornings at work, it has a sweet maple smell pouring out with it from the bag into my cup. The tea liquor doesn’t mimic a pancake, but it has exactly the amount of flavoring I would want and has real artificial taste. It’s a little buttery with a hint of doughy at the end, overall strong black taste, fair astringency, is a wonderful caffine wake me up. This will be a regular tea for me, finally a replacement for my calorie laden morning coffee!

While hot I wasn’t totally impressed, but once cooled to room temperature the flavor and aroma REALLY shined. I know that’s how most stuff goes, but this one should really be allowed to cool down a bit after steeping to fully appreciate the flavor and aroma. Totally representing of the name in every aspect! Yummy. Glad this was reblended and I got to try it out! The base is also nice, it’s not too bold or bitter and it doesn’t overpower the buttery, syrupy, pancake flavors. Great breakfast tea.

Today’s discussion on tea latte inspired me to try with my first Pancake Breakfast tasting. My darling makes me a cappuccino, sized to fit in a little espresso cup and I used the leftover milk foam. Mmm deliciousness. I love the syrupy pancake batter scent but brewed up, I taste honey. Great way to get effect of sweetness without adding anything more.
Does not resteep well but that is expected for this type of tea.

So, I steeped this in a frothy water-and-milk mixture today, and it was way better than steeped in regular water. Sweet and creamy, like a breakfast tea, with butter and maple notes. I haven’t had good luck with 52teas so far but this one is pretty good

Had a cup of this tonight to crave my sweet tooth. I first tried it straight up. It was ok. I think I could have used a little more leaf. I added a little sugar and it really brought out the maple flavor! Yum. I like this. I am going to try another cup and add a bit more. (Preparation: 1tsp/8oz, 3mins @ 212)

I’m impressed with the pancake flavor here—I assumed this would just taste mostly like maple syrup (and there is that, especially dry, and it’s wonderful to an ex-New Englander like myself), but actually there’s an uncanny pancake fluff element. You even sort of get that mouthfeel after eating a bunch of pancakes, you know the one I mean? The film of sweet starch on your teeth and tongue (sorry if that’s gross)?

That said, I am a little disappointed with the black tea base. It’s kind of wispy in the same way David’s and Adagio’s tend to be for their flavored blends. I put a tiny bit of milk in because the tea was oh so barely bitter initially, and it did that thing those other companies’ dessert blends do, where it immediately made the tea watery tasting.

But man. That pancake mouthfeel is something else.

I love love love Autumn! Waking up on still dark mornings, snuggling under warm rugs while I mentally debate how I really ‘must’ get up, then planning exactly how & what to throw on eg: socks are essential as I just know the kitchen floor is going to be freezing cold ..

Well this was my (Sunday) morning, and what inspired me to dig out the secret stash of tea I’ve had hidden away in an airtight/dark box at the back of my cupboard for OMG- nearly a year!

I swear it was like running into an old lover and finding out the spark is still there .. Memories came flooding back as I read the names of various blends and stole wiffs out of different tins & baggies .. Ahhh, how could I have ever given this up – oh yeah, I went on a holiday to Cleansville via Juice Fasting lol .. Well you know what, if a cup of tea is what kills me, then I promise I won’t complain!

Soo, I guess I should add some tasting notes :D

Very aromatic and naturally sweet, tho I confess I did end up adding a small amount of raw sugar which totally amped up the Maple Syrup flavour .. I don’t have any milk in the house but wonder if adding a drop would boost the creamy/buttery/pancakey notes? That’s something I’d like to try so perhaps I’ll take my pouch when I go visiting friends later today ..

My only negative comment on it is that I found the after-mouthfeel a touch too astringent, meaning it left my tongue feeling somewhat puckered – but remember this is OLD tea and I haven’t drunk tea (other than jasmine pearls) for a looong time, so anyone reading this needs to take that into account .. Still, all up I’m going to give it a high rating 90(from me) = Mmm Yummy Stuff!

52teas

Welcome back. You might try a shorter steeping time for this one to reduce the astringency. Maybe 3 minutes.