Pancake Breakfast Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves, Marigold Petals, Organic Flavours
Baked Bread, Maple Syrup, Butter, Sweet, Maple, Pancake Syrup, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by hapatite

2 Images

From 52teas

I’m tempted to start this post with, “You’re not going to believe what we did this week!” But we’ve created enough unique, one-of-a-kind blends, that I imagine our unique-ness is getting rather ho-hum.

But seriously? Who else would bring you a PANCAKE BREAKFAST tea? With the essence of hot, buttery, maple-syruped pancakes infused through our premium black teas (a bit heavier on the breakfast teas this week). Who else, really?

Our new Tea of the Week for the week of April 4th, 2011

About 52teas View company

At, you will find unique, hand-blended artisan loose leaf teas: a new limited edition creation every week of the year. We pride ourselves on offering truly unique, one-of-a-kind tea blends that you won’t find anywhere else.

Note: This review is an edited version of a review that I posted previously in one of my Tumblr accounts.

I added: Nothing.
Smell (dry): A bit bitter and a touch of something sweet, like maple syrup.
Smell (brewed): Hint of something flowery.
Color (brewed): Almost a maple syrup golden-red color.

Taste: It tastes like a nice black tea to me, with hints of other flavors. When made properly, there is little to no bitterness to the taste.

I remember it as tasting like maple syrup the first few times I tried it, but I don’t taste any of that now. I’m not sure if my memory is at fault or if it’s just had a few months to be past its prime in flavor. I probably also added honey to it, which certainly would have given it a different body.

Since I’d already written about my current impressions of the taste, I went ahead and added a spoonful of honey to the cup and it brought out more of the flowery taste I could smell from the aroma. So I would certainly recommend adding honey to the tea if you just taste the black tea rather than the marigold and other flavors they added to this blend. Try it first without the honey and then add just a bit to bring out the other flavors.

Other comments: This isn’t the first time I’ve had this particular tea. I bought it a few months ago because the flavor sounded nothing short of wonderful. I mean, look at the photo on the package. Can’t you just taste the warm, buttery, bready pancake flavor? It honestly was not at all like I expected it to taste, which was a bit of a disappointment, but once I got over that, it was pretty nice for what it actually was. I’m just saying: do not expect it to taste like it looks as if it would.

Tonight when I made the tea, I added too much water to the first cup. You’ll still taste “something” more than just hot water if you add too much water (of course), but it’ll be a very bland sort of generic tea. You might taste the marigold or the maple as a note in the background, but more likely you’ll just have something bitter along with standard tea-ness. (When I say “standard tea-ness” I’m trying to describe something very generic and forgettable and sort of… well, to put it as I see it in my head, it’s sort of a desaturated brown taste.)

I’m a little disappointed I didn’t think to review teas earlier. I would have liked to have been able to describe the flavor as I originally tasted it rather than from memory of it.

Would I buy it again?: There are a lot of interesting flavors on 52Teas and at the moment, Pancake Breakfast isn’t a “favorite” enough to buy it on my next shipment after this packet runs out. It’s certainly a “maybe” though.

Would I recommend it?: As long as you’re perfectly aware that it will not taste like buttered pancakes and the thought of black tea with marigolds sounds nice to you, by all means try it! I recommend only opening the packet if you’re prepared to drink nothing but that tea until it’s all out, though – just in case the flavor goes “dead” like mine seems to have.

I had this one… yesterday morning? So this is from memory. One thing I thought was interesting about this is that it seems to me like a classic “breakfast tea”, in the sense that the base is a fairly robust, malty, wake-up-your-tastebuds kind of black tea. It’s smooth though, I didn’t have to add milk or anything. The maple in this tea is very nice, and apparently I’m picky about maple in things. The pancakes… well, if I really concentrate I can imagine some pancake flavour there, but I think if you had just handed me a mug of this tea I wouldn’t have picked up on it. Good tea though, I’m looking forward to having it again.

I’m working my way through trying out the new 52teas very slowly before processing and sending them towards Sil.

I like maple, so seeing this and the maple tieguanyin included in this packet was pretty awesome. Both teas deliver on the maple but do it in different ways. This is more of a starchy maple as opposed to the equally good but buttery maple of the tieguanyin. It was delicious with milk and made a very sweet “wake me up” breakfast tea. I’m not sure it necessarily stands out from the other delicious maple black teas I’ve tried though.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Maple Syrup

Last night my father appeared over my shoulder, “You’re looking at tea?! You have tea all over the place!” If only he knew how I envied the stash of many of them members of this site ;)

I am off to a late start to this labor day weekend. I have a list I made of teas to drink this weekend, I don’t know now if I’ll get to all of them with waking up three hours later than planned. This one was at the top of said list as I made it for a work morning and wanted to be sure to fully review and appreciate it. I liked this better at the 2 minute steep time, today was 3 minutes and the black tea taste took over the cup a bit too much for my true liking. I still finished the cup, but I would have preferred to have more of a balance with the maple flavor.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Looking at tea and making up orders is free until you hit submit. ;)

Exactly ;)

Ah… What a wonderfully scented tea. My sense of smell kicked in early this morning so I went through my teas, inhaling to find the one I wanted this morning. This one won. I swear, there is a hot pancake inside the pouch, drenched in butter and maple syrup. An excellent tea.

Flavors: Butter, Maple Syrup, Sweet

Glad to hear you’re able to enjoy some scent-worthy teas!

Love reading this.

Me too!

The more I drink this tea the more I am falling in love with it. It’s simply delicious. Tastes exactly as described.

This tea seems like something I would reach for in the fall/winter, however …. here I am, right in the middle of a heat advisory, drinking it hot in my mug! It’s that good!

Flavors: Maple, Maple Syrup, Pancake Syrup, Sweet

Backlog…from last night.

Well, I am more than pleasantly surprised. I lean more towards tea’s without added flavours, but I had been curious about the 52 blends since discovering Steepster, and lovely Lala generously shared a bunch of samples. This is surprising good – I couldn’t imagine how that pancake mouthfeel would present itself in tea form but it’s wonderfully represented. Got lots of butter too. The maple made a special guest appearance a couple of times, but very elusive.

This would definitely satisfy my pancake craving. I only have pancakes once or twice a year…when we have brunch breakfast at work for sponsored charities…and I pack ‘em away like nobody’s business. I think I will have to keep an eye out on frank’s site to see how often this is available…this will definitely do for those in between times.

Thank you Lala! yum yum!!

You’re welcome! Glad you enjoy. I think this is one of the best 52 Teas.

Aimee Popovacki

definitely one of the best from 52 teas… its one of my favorites!

From Pass the Stash TTB 2

I was really excited to try this one to compare to the perfect blend blueberry pancakes from DavidsTea that I recently received.

This one is much more subtle with a heavier black tea background. I really had to search for the maple & buttery flavors.

This is the first “sad” sipdown I can recall. I don’t know if this is because I don’t think I will ever get it again or my “diet” that does not encourage me to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is the first cup of this I remember enjoying this much, maybe it’s because it has had time to “marinate” like I’ve heard others talk about with some of 52Teas blends. I get yummy buttery pancakes. In the past I’ve added a little brown sugar and it reminded me of liquid pancakes, this time I did not add anything but it was the best cup.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me EvaGrimm, from our first tea swap :)

Thank you to Roswell Strange for the generous sample!

I love pancakes, so I was SUPER excited to get this sample! This is a lovely buttery, nutty, slightly maple-y cup! I think a prefer the “French Toast” blend, with the added cinnamon, just a tad more, but it’s close!

I think I might try adding maple syrup to my next cup instead of sugar. Just to be completely silly.