Pancake Breakfast Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves, Marigold Petals, Organic Flavours
Butter, Nuts
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by hapatite

2 Images

• “Tea of breakfast yesterday, with some creamer. I wanted pancakes but was all out of maple syrup. Luckily I had this on hand - got all the buttery maple syrup flavors I needed without having to...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 779 tasting notes
  • “Something really important happened this weekend... Something important enough to keep me away from tea and Steepster for a weekend! ... It was my 27 birthday!!! 27... Wow... I feel like I was just...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 158 tasting notes
  • “This one is easily my fave of 52Teas. I love the combo of maple syrup and butter - pancakes without the calories! Since I let this steep for the length of the cup, second infusions don't go too...” Read full tasting note
    tea-slinger 576 tasting notes
  • “I just downed a gigantic plate of tofu nuggets like nobodies business whilst drinking this and Prairie Berry. It seems like a totally strange combination of flavours, but somehow it really worked?...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1713 tasting notes

From 52teas

I’m tempted to start this post with, “You’re not going to believe what we did this week!” But we’ve created enough unique, one-of-a-kind blends, that I imagine our unique-ness is getting rather ho-hum.

But seriously? Who else would bring you a PANCAKE BREAKFAST tea? With the essence of hot, buttery, maple-syruped pancakes infused through our premium black teas (a bit heavier on the breakfast teas this week). Who else, really?

Our new Tea of the Week for the week of April 4th, 2011

About 52teas View company

Note: This review is an edited version of a review that I posted previously in one of my Tumblr accounts.

I added: Nothing.
Smell (dry): A bit bitter and a touch of something sweet, like maple syrup.
Smell (brewed): Hint of something flowery.
Color (brewed): Almost a maple syrup golden-red color.

Taste: It tastes like a nice black tea to me, with hints of other flavors. When made properly, there is little to no bitterness to the taste.

I remember it as tasting like maple syrup the first few times I tried it, but I don’t taste any of that now. I’m not sure if my memory is at fault or if it’s just had a few months to be past its prime in flavor. I probably also added honey to it, which certainly would have given it a different body.

Since I’d already written about my current impressions of the taste, I went ahead and added a spoonful of honey to the cup and it brought out more of the flowery taste I could smell from the aroma. So I would certainly recommend adding honey to the tea if you just taste the black tea rather than the marigold and other flavors they added to this blend. Try it first without the honey and then add just a bit to bring out the other flavors.

Other comments: This isn’t the first time I’ve had this particular tea. I bought it a few months ago because the flavor sounded nothing short of wonderful. I mean, look at the photo on the package. Can’t you just taste the warm, buttery, bready pancake flavor? It honestly was not at all like I expected it to taste, which was a bit of a disappointment, but once I got over that, it was pretty nice for what it actually was. I’m just saying: do not expect it to taste like it looks as if it would.

Tonight when I made the tea, I added too much water to the first cup. You’ll still taste “something” more than just hot water if you add too much water (of course), but it’ll be a very bland sort of generic tea. You might taste the marigold or the maple as a note in the background, but more likely you’ll just have something bitter along with standard tea-ness. (When I say “standard tea-ness” I’m trying to describe something very generic and forgettable and sort of… well, to put it as I see it in my head, it’s sort of a desaturated brown taste.)

I’m a little disappointed I didn’t think to review teas earlier. I would have liked to have been able to describe the flavor as I originally tasted it rather than from memory of it.

Would I buy it again?: There are a lot of interesting flavors on 52Teas and at the moment, Pancake Breakfast isn’t a “favorite” enough to buy it on my next shipment after this packet runs out. It’s certainly a “maybe” though.

Would I recommend it?: As long as you’re perfectly aware that it will not taste like buttered pancakes and the thought of black tea with marigolds sounds nice to you, by all means try it! I recommend only opening the packet if you’re prepared to drink nothing but that tea until it’s all out, though – just in case the flavor goes “dead” like mine seems to have.

This is the first “sad” sipdown I can recall. I don’t know if this is because I don’t think I will ever get it again or my “diet” that does not encourage me to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is the first cup of this I remember enjoying this much, maybe it’s because it has had time to “marinate” like I’ve heard others talk about with some of 52Teas blends. I get yummy buttery pancakes. In the past I’ve added a little brown sugar and it reminded me of liquid pancakes, this time I did not add anything but it was the best cup.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me EvaGrimm, from our first tea swap :)

Thank you to Roswell Strange for the generous sample!

I love pancakes, so I was SUPER excited to get this sample! This is a lovely buttery, nutty, slightly maple-y cup! I think a prefer the “French Toast” blend, with the added cinnamon, just a tad more, but it’s close!

I think I might try adding maple syrup to my next cup instead of sugar. Just to be completely silly.

I got this tea from MissB as a part of a mystery package.

It was a lovely tea to start my day with. I tried not to make a big deal whether this tastes like what it says it would taste like because WHATEVER. It was a delicious, dessert black tea, sweet without any sweetener, creamy and buttery. The black base was surprisingly robust but not overwhelming or bitter. I enjoyed this cup a lot!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea smells sweet and cinnamonny. Is that what it’s supposed to smell like?
Ahh well, either way, it smells gooooood!
Thanks a bunch to NayLynn for sending me a sample of this!

Hmm.. I don’t know what’s going on with me right now. For some reason all my teas have come out bitter! This and the last one, the flavour was off. But at least the cup was still drinkable :) I made sure to let the kettle settle for much longer in case my temp was off, but dang. Today isn’t a very black tea day.

I’ll stop it with the blacks because they’re giving me problems, so I’ll move on to other teas :)Luckily I have enough of this tea to make it again so I’ll try sometime in the future!

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Okay. I gave this tea a second try. I thought maybe the first time I didn’t brew it right, or it just wasn’t what I was in the mood for, or… who knows? Anyway, I searched for anything in the flavor that I might call “pancake-y,” and I just don’t think I ever found it. I definitely got the maple, no issues with that. I even added milk, which usually helps to bring out “baked goods” flavors in tea… and it just didn’t help. I want to like this one, but without the pancake flavor, I am not prepared to say I do.

1ST CUP:
Served: Iced
Amount: 2 tsp
Brewed In: 1.5 cups
Cup Size: 23oz tumbler full of ice
Sweetener: stevia in the raw
Temp: boiling
Steep Time: 3 min
Method: Finum paper tea filter

Notes:
After drinking British Breakfast the past 2 mornings in a row, my first thought was that this wasn’t quite strong enough. But the more I sipped while actually having pancakes & turkey bacon for breakfast, this was really good.

The flavors really paired well with the breakfast rather than compete so that it was the ultimate pancake breakfast experience. Will have to resteep to get a 2nd cup!

So glad I bought this & remembered I had it this morning! Yum-yum!

- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
RESTEEP:
Served: Iced
Amount: Initial 2 tsp + 1 tsp fresh
[same as above]

Well, that kicked it up a notch! Flavor is much more mellowly sweet & deep. And now that I’ve inhaled my actual pancakes, I can continue to have that lovely taste without the extra carbs. : )

Signed,
Jane

Smell: OMG PANCAKES.

taste: add honey and OMG PANCAKES.

After reading all of the reviews decided to buy it. Very disappointed. No butter notes, slight maple maybe. Tons of black tea flavor. Underwhelmed and very disappointed. : ((