Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha

Green Tea
Creamy, Marshmallow, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vanilla, Burnt, Decayed wood, Earth, Nutty, Roasted, Grass, Hay, Rice, Autumn Leaf Pile, Butter, Cream, Toasty, Nuts, Burnt Food
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

2 Images

• “Indulging in a celebratory cup (or rather, travel mug)-ful of this one! What am I celebrating, you ask? Why, snagging another pouch of this! Haha. Anyways, it’s delicious as always. Nice and...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3034 tasting notes
  • “More cold brew for me. This batch definitely tastes better that way. Not as sweet and more toasty rice for the win. I’d like to finish a bit more tea before going back to the Island so there...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1246 tasting notes
  • “I love this tea so much. I have the non-vegan version… and after having tried the vegan version, I can say that this one is much better. Sweet, very marshmallow treat-y. Yum Yum Yum!” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “I finished this one recently. I’m sad to see it go :( I just realized what a great transition tea it is for the Fall. It retains some of the lightness that I tend to crave in Spring/Summer tea...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 357 tasting notes

From 52teas

Had some extra genmaicha (and a little bit of uji (matcha mixed with-) genmaicha that we blended together to create this awesome blend. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough of anything to make it a tea of the week, so here’s a bonus blend (VERY LIMITED EDITION) for this week.

We’ve blended genmaicha (Japanese sencha (I got it before the earthquake, so no worries) blended with toasted rice) with mini marshmallows and natural flavors. This blend is going to go FAST, and we won’t be able to blend any more for a while, if we ever do, so DO NOT drag your feet about this one.

About 52teas View company

At, you will find unique, hand-blended artisan loose leaf teas: a new limited edition creation every week of the year. We pride ourselves on offering truly unique, one-of-a-kind tea blends that you won’t find anywhere else.

So I ordered this along with a few others the when they were re-blended; I also don’t know why I put my tea spending on hold, since I never listen to myself.

Ok, I don’t know if the new vegan flavors Frank is to blame, but lately it seems a lot of his new tea’s have this weird sanitized alcohol liquor smell. All though people have mentioned that when a blend is re-made quickly they get that smell due to not being aired out long enough or settling first. It does smell gooey sweet though, like cake flavored vodka.

The overall taste though was good! Very buttery. Maybe unami quality to it, but more sweet.

Feeling lazy so not going to go into much detail (I think there are enough tasting notes though.) I am going to compare this one to the smores one and see how that goes.

Pot: Porcelain
Leaf: 1.5 tsp
Water 8oz
Steeps: 2 combined (16oz cup)
Sweetner: 2 spoonfuls of light agave.

This was a sample provided to me from Rachel!

I was so excited to try this tea, especially with all the rave reviews! I opened the bag and smelled genmaicha with a hint of the marshmallow root. Brewed up it’s very much genmaicha with sweet marshmallow root added to it. It’s good, it’s unique, it resembles a marshmallow treat, but I’m not finding it nearly as good as most others have. I’d just rather have a gemaicha tea and eat a rice krispies treat. Thank Rachel for sending me some of this and allowing me to try it!

Thanks to Azzrian for a sample of this.

Genmaicha can be hit or miss for me. Most of the time it’s a miss. I’m not sure what it is exactly. Maybe it’s the fact it’s not very tea like? Or just the overpowering flavor of the toasted rice? Hard to describe. But everyone always raves about it, so maybe I’m missing something. Anyway, when I saw this, I wanted to try and sample. I’ve never had genmaicha flavored with anything before, and the marshmallows mixed in intrigued me.

The tea smells really good. It really does match the smell of a marshmallow rice krispie squares. And brewed up, it’s not too bad. I was worried with toasted rice would be overpowering, but it’s really not.

I wonder if they plan to bring this around again. It is very unique..

This tea is delish, but I’m not getting enough marshmallow for me.
If I could find a source for mini marshmallows (the real mini kind) and add them in myself, I totally would. The marshmallow root isn’t really doing it for me :(

I’m not getting a lot of genmaicha flavour either though. I’m more getting a texture, a sort of thick but creamy texture that is a bit sweet.

I’m still thankful this one was in the sampler though :)

Loved it last time, love it again.. had this with my sister this morning, it was delicious!! Unfortunately I was so tired I automatically put sugar in it… bad idea.. It really didn’t need the sugar, it’s better without.. but still all in all it was delicious and all gone! Only a little left of this!! nooo… :(

I just drank marshmallow rice crispy treat flavored green tea, while eating green tea flavored marshmallow rice crispy treats! :-)

(Recipe from , but I used DoMatcha because that’s what I had)

This is the reblended version of Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha, from the “new” 52 Teas. I knew, instantly, upon opening the pouch that I was going to love this one. The scent coming off the dry leaf is just amazing – pure, creamy, marshmallowy wonderfulness. This looks to be about a 50/50 split between toasted rice and green tea leaves, but there’s also a fine coating of matcha on everything that makes it look rather different from its forerunner. There are a few shreds of marshmallow root also. The green tea leaves are fairly fine and spindly – some are long (around 2cm) but the majority are fairly finely shredded. I’m interested to see how this one works out! I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 2 minutes in water cooled to around 175 degrees. The resulting liquor is a bright yellow green, the scent toasty with an underlying sweetness.

To taste, this is pretty spot-on marshmallow treat. There’s a toastiness in the initial sip that’s perfectly reminiscent of the crispy rice base, followed quickly by the sweet, creamy, almost thick-tasting flavour of marshmallow. The green tea base is mild and fairly unobtrusive. I get a flash of it every now and then while I’m sipping away, but it really doesn’t interfere with what is, essentially, a sweet, dessert-like flavour. I wasn’t sure what the matcha would contribute, but I think it adds a mellow sweetness that works well here. It’s certainly not as grassy as I feared – indeed, grass really isn’t a feature here at all!

I was starting to become a little disillusioned with flavoured teas, but this one has encouraged me to keep trying. When they’re good, they’re brilliant, and this one is a prime example. It’s also inspired me to look up 52 Teas again – I’ll be buying more of their creations on the strength of this one alone. If you were a fan of the original Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha, you’d be a fool to overlook this reblend – it’s just as good (possibly even better!) I’d also recommend it to fans of sweet, dessert-style teas – this one’s a real (marshmallow) treat!

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

That does sound good. I didn’t pick any up because I tend not to like green tea, but maybe I will if it’s ever reblended.

jealous… this was one that i totally wanted to buy

Alright. So I opened the bag of this one is POW! Lots of sweet marshmallowy smells came jumping out at me. I thought this would mean it was going to be super marshmallow tasting (oh no!), but once I scooped out a tsp and put it in the pot, the smell was much more balanced. I guess all together it was just too much!

The smell of this one dry is more marshmallow than anything else. There are the roasty/toasty genmaicha notes that I love so much, but it is mostly marshmallow. The scent DOES remind me a Marshmallow Treats, which is awesome. I used to love those when I was a kid.
Once brewed, the marshmallow calms down further, and the toasty notes of the genmaicha stand out a bit more. Yay! It still reminds me of treats, but now there is a little more depth to the smell. It’s both sweet AND toasty. The toasted rice smells awesome.

Taste-wise, I’m picking up subtle/mild marshmallow notes, and these are especially notable at the back of the sip. I’m picking up the toasty, earthy genmaicha the most – not a bad thing. The marshmallow root does add a sweetness to the genmaicha that is completely different and interesting. The marshmallow treat taste is there, it’s just not as heavy as it was in the smell – again, I don’t think this is a bad thing. Yes, I quite like it. The mouthfeel is very “fluffy”. It’s got a lot working for it. It’s not overly sweet, it allows the genmaicha to shine, and it brings back childhood memories. =)

Overall, I’d say this one is a win.

NOTE: Once it cools down a bit, the marshmallow becomes more detectable. I like it best after it sits for a few minutes.

yum! jealous! :)

I’m also jealous. It was sold out by the time I woke up in the UK! Sounds really lovely, though. I can almost taste it.

I have been wanting to try this for some time now. When it first came out back in April I thought “marshmallow in genmaicha?” I could not see it. Then I read the reviews and wanted to try it. I missed the xmas box, so when it was blended last week I jumped at the chance. Of course I did not read the difference in this blend from when it was first blended. No matcha or real marshmallows…..:(

I opened up the bag and it smelled great. I brewed it and the sent from my wabi sabi pot was nutty, which was great since I thought the marshmallow root would over power the brown rice. Then when I drank it I lost the nuttiness and got more vegetal green with vanilla….
Hmm..I might grow to like this, but I wished I would have had the original blend with the matcha and real marshmallows…:(

I’m afraid that I don’t love this. :(

It seemed like such a sure thing because I love genmaicha and I love marshmallows. (Plus I was hoping I would love this as much as the famous Malted Genmaicha!)

But I don’t taste yummy fluffy sugary marshmallows—I taste fruity pop rocks! Tossed in with some astringent green tea and toasty rice. I like the toasty rice—but the fruitiness is a bit overwhelming. I know that vanilla can sometimes manifest as “fruity” in perfumes—I’m wondering if it’s the same with flavors?

But anyways, I’m sad to say that this is not a fave. At least it is not what I hoped.

Next time, I’ll try brewing this with less leaf and see what I get.

Sorry this one didn’t turn out to be a success. :(