Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha

Green Tea
Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

2 Images

• “Indulging in a celebratory cup (or rather, travel mug)-ful of this one! What am I celebrating, you ask? Why, snagging another pouch of this! Haha. Anyways, it's delicious as always. Nice and...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “More cold brew for me. This batch definitely tastes better that way. Not as sweet and more toasty rice for the win. I'd like to finish a bit more tea before going back to the Island so there would...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “I love this tea so much. I have the non-vegan version... and after having tried the vegan version, I can say that this one is much better. Sweet, very marshmallow treat-y. Yum Yum Yum!” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes
  • “If you’ve been reading my tealogs for a while, then you may already know that I’m working on overcoming my self-inflicted aversion to Genmaicha. (This linked tealog illustrates my departure and the...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes

From 52teas

Had some extra genmaicha (and a little bit of uji (matcha mixed with-) genmaicha that we blended together to create this awesome blend. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough of anything to make it a tea of the week, so here’s a bonus blend (VERY LIMITED EDITION) for this week.

We’ve blended genmaicha (Japanese sencha (I got it before the earthquake, so no worries) blended with toasted rice) with mini marshmallows and natural flavors. This blend is going to go FAST, and we won’t be able to blend any more for a while, if we ever do, so DO NOT drag your feet about this one.

About 52teas View company

I missed this one the first time around. So I was thrilled to find it in my 12 Teas of Christmas box today! It smelled just like marshmallow treats….so much so that my husband thought I made some. :) I don’t know how Frank does it, but I’m glad he does. This one was spot on marshmallow treat for me. All the flavors were there and it was a total win! I need more…I mean I would like more please! :)

This blend is genius. Seriously. My husband saw me with a bag of tea with actual marshmallows in it and said “So have you officially given up on drinking real tea?” I had to explain that the marshmallows scared me at first too- but that this was genmaicha, and that the toastiness of the genmaicha (it has toasted rice in it) works remarkably well with the marshmallow. As I explained, he considered the notion and agreed that he could see how it might, just maybe work.

I love this one. It’s an utterly surprising blend- the sweet and the nutty/toasty genmaicha go really well together. The sweetness of the melted marshmallows really is very mild- I don’t sweeten my teas and it’s acceptable for me :) This is truly, truly creative. Bravo!

Cold steeped this one today for work. It tasted like genmaicha, but something was odd about it. I think I read somewhere of a metallic smell or taste, and that’s probably the best description too. Something chemical or artificial. I don’t know if this was over-leafing or the cold steeping, but I do intend on having more hot with an eye on the amount I use.

This was from CrowKettle. I’ve been wanting to try this one for a long time. I’m hoping subsequent steeps are better.

I’m a fan of genmaicha, and I had high hopes for this one based on all the rave reviews on here. I do like it, it is sweeter than straight genmaicha, but is it marshmallow? Almost, or at least that’s how I feel. I don’t think this is quite marshmallow enough for me. Or maybe it’s my uneducated palate that can’t quite pick it out. Either way, I’m happy to have tried it. Thanks JackieT for sending me this sample.

I have had many cups of this tea, but haven’t actually logged it yet. I had actually missed the original release of this tea and the reblend as well. I thought my chance to try it was gone, but thanks to the lovely Rachel Sincere, I was able to happily drink this blend.

In short, I don’t think that this tea is exactly like a marshmallow treat, but it is very, very yummy. What I notice first is the toasted rice against the green tea. I usually don’t like roasty teas, but this is the perfect amount. The green tea base is smooth and not too grassy. The initial toasty flavor changes into a wonderful sweetness… very much like a marshmallow in that it tastes almost like pure sugar. All it needs is that fluffy character and it’d be just like a marshmallow.

I think that this tea is one of 52Teas’ best. I hope that it pops back up on the website again in the future. Thank you, Rachel Sincere, for sharing this tea with me!

I have never been a big fan of rice crispy treats, but for some reason when I saw this available I had to get it. It smells delightful. I am still not very familiar with green teas and this is my first Genmaicha. It does taste a little like marshmallows, and I can taste the rice. I added about a teaspoon of sugar, and it is very pleasant. Not my favorite, or one I would rebuy, but I am glad I got to try it. I think my husband will love this one. (Link to full review will go here)

I made this way too weak on Sunday and was sad because I bought a bag before I even got my 12 teas of Christmas set. Today though, I did it right. Awwww yeah.

I love genmaicha and I love marshmallow treats. It tastes exactly like that. Sweet, nutty, and delicious. I’m glad I got a bag because I am definitely going to want more. I think the rest of my sample will be used before I even get back to my apartment tomorrow afternoon!

It also has me wondering what if I made green tea marshmallows and then use them to make rice krispie treats…

This is my first from Frank and I was not disappointed. Got this on Friday when I came home from work and had to try it. Normally I stick to rooibos after work but I figured it was a Friday and a green so why not? Awesome tea! The marshmallow is subtle but there. I added some splenda to it and it was really good.

My only beef with the tea is that it didn’t come with brewing instructions. I rarely drink greens because I generally prefer bolder flavors so I had to look at the back of a Teavana blend for brewing instructions for green tea. As such, I’m not sure if I brewed it right, my marshmallows didn’t melt completely so I may have lost some flavor there.

Held up well for a second steep, probably could have done a third but I wanted to try my other new teas so I tossed it after the second.

Ashley Bain

I wish I could find some of this to try! I’m obsessed with anything marshmellow.

LefTea

Ashley, you may be able to talk me into a swap here. I haven’t had it since I posted this review (although after re-reading it, it makes me want to make it again). Thoughts?

Ashley Bain

That would be awesome! I was going to message you but realized I can’t. lol. I have several 52 Teas I can send you though.

I definitely oversteeped this one, but it was very forgiving! I like this one a lot but I think I might like the s’mores slightly more. It is basically a good genmaicha with a hint of marshmallowey sweetness :)

I received this in a swap with AlphaKitty, thanks! The dry smell is amazing. It smells like a light hint of marshmellow with a doughy kind of scent, which I attribute to the brown rice. I’ve never tried a genmaicha before and I didn’t even know what it was. All I know was that is said Marshmellow so I was excited. Brewed, the scent of the rice and the green tea stands out more to me than the marshmellow, which made me nervous. I don’t know how I felt about having rice in my tea. On first sip, it really is quite good. It sort of has an earthy flavor mixed with the light sweetness of marshmellow. I was pleasantly suprised by the rice taste. It’s soft and earthy without making me think of rice floating around in my tea :). Quite delicious. A nice, gentle dessert tea.