Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha

Green Tea
Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

2 Images

• “Indulging in a celebratory cup (or rather, travel mug)-ful of this one! What am I celebrating, you ask? Why, snagging another pouch of this! Haha. Anyways, it's delicious as always. Nice and...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “More cold brew for me. This batch definitely tastes better that way. Not as sweet and more toasty rice for the win. I'd like to finish a bit more tea before going back to the Island so there would...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 757 tasting notes
  • “I love this tea so much. I have the non-vegan version... and after having tried the vegan version, I can say that this one is much better. Sweet, very marshmallow treat-y. Yum Yum Yum!” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4219 tasting notes
  • “If you’ve been reading my tealogs for a while, then you may already know that I’m working on overcoming my self-inflicted aversion to Genmaicha. (This linked tealog illustrates my departure and the...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes

From 52teas

Had some extra genmaicha (and a little bit of uji (matcha mixed with-) genmaicha that we blended together to create this awesome blend. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough of anything to make it a tea of the week, so here’s a bonus blend (VERY LIMITED EDITION) for this week.

We’ve blended genmaicha (Japanese sencha (I got it before the earthquake, so no worries) blended with toasted rice) with mini marshmallows and natural flavors. This blend is going to go FAST, and we won’t be able to blend any more for a while, if we ever do, so DO NOT drag your feet about this one.

About 52teas View company

Got this for my birfffffday! It’s nice and tasty too.. love the marshmallow but wish it had more matcha in the blend like Samovar’s Ryokucha. Still great though!

I absolutely love this genmaicha. It tastes nothing like a marshmallow treat to me, however, it tastes and smells a lot like cream soda. I LOVE cream soda. Though, I only drink diet sodas and rarely do, at that, cream soda is my favorite of them all. Pairing my favorite green tea with my favorite soda flavor = instant staple in my cupboard.

Note: This is an edited version of a review I made to one of my Tumblr blogs. (It will appear on Steepster before it is posted to my blog, since I’m using a queue.)

Note 2: This is the reblend version with the marshmallow root.

I added: Sugar.
Smell (dry): Slightly sweet marshmallow treats (left out awhile, maybe). (Sometimes you catch an edge of bitterness to the smell, but otherwise it smells nice. I left the packet open on the table as I wrote the review and the area smells nommy.)
Smell (brewed): Matcha with a dash of rice tea scent.
Color (brewed): Greenish-gold

Taste (plain): Green tea. I’m not sure how else to put it. It doesn’t taste at all like it smells (either dry or brewed). It’s a fairly mellow green tea (not too bitter). I don’t taste the toasted rice, marshmallow root, or anything else.

Taste (sugared): With the sugar, the green tea seems to oddly taste more bitter. (I wonder if that’s the matcha I taste? I could smell it for sure, but didn’t know it was in the mix until I went back to the 52 Teas website) I can taste a bit of the toasted rice and a faint marshmallow flavor now. I can better taste the sweet/marshmallow flavor if I “gulp” and let it roll over my tongue rather than letting it linger.

Actually – I got to the end of the cup where I suppose most of the sugar settled and suddenly it tastes quite like a marshmallow treat… and then is quickly overpowered by the bitterness of the green tea. It may be a flavoring issue on my end, rather than the tea itself.

Other comments: This was the tea that started it all, really. Or, at least, my tendency to order from 52 Teas specifically. I was reading reviews of a different tea (the one I’ll review next) on Steepster and looked at their Top Something list of teas where I saw “Marshmallow Treat” listed. I was fascinated – and then immediately disappointed when I realized it was a limited edition flavor. But it made me browse the site and sign up for their newsletter.

And then, one day near December, it happened: They re-released the flavor! Iee! I ordered three packets of tea (Pancake Breakfast, Cinnamon Roll Honeybush, and this) and prepared myself for the taste explosion to come!

Unfortunately, even fresh it never lived up to the hype – for me.

Would I buy it again?: Sadly, no. Maybe if it were paired with another base? I love the concept and it’s easy to tell from the smell that they came close. But I’m not sure I like green tea anymore. I know it’s meant to be very good for you and I certainly want to like it, but the bitterness I generally taste turns me off. It also smells like what I want it to taste like, but doesn’t taste like it.

Noting: It’s pretty good for a green tea. It’s one of the least bitter green teas I’ve had, actually.

Would I recommend it?: If you like green tea and you like marshmallow treats, why not? It’s a limited edition flavor, but I know for sure they’ve re-released it at least once. So you always have a shot if you keep your eyes open for it. Just be prepared to work with it until you get the right flavor balance. It may be something like, “Add cream!” or “Add half a tablespoon of sugar.” – I don’t know.

PS: I did try it with creamer for my third cup on a whim and it was… interesting. It may be just my imagination that it tasted more like marshmallow, though. But it certainly utterly negated the bitterness. I may try it like this again.

Gods, I adore genmaichas…there’s something about the melding of toasty rice and grassy greens that I find intensely comforting. With this blend you get the added layer of sweet and smooth marshmallow (both roots and flavouring, I think) woven in between the familiar notes…

My only real complaint is that it gets sorta bitter and astringent as it cools and that clashes with the sweetness of the marshmallow. It might be better as an iced tea and for that reason I’m going to have to knock the rating down a bit.

Not sure it’s my favourite tea ever, but I’ll probably drink it intermittently.

This is really good. Tastes just like the name describes, and I’m not sure what else to say about it. The flavoring is nice and subtle, and not at all artificial tasting. Now I really want to try the strawberry version. Can’t wait to read those reviews…

Based on previous ratings I’ve read, I steep this at a pretty low temp. The water is slightly warmer than lukewarm, maybe between 140-160 F. I also don’t steep for long, and I find this to be the most satisfying. With too high of a temperature, the tea tastes like traditional genmaicha, and the buttery marshmallow tones are lost. It smells a lot like popped rice treats too. I don’t care too add much sugar, and cream and milk seem to mellow the flavor too much. The first cup is best, though the second is often great too. It tastes very buttery, and subtly sweet. I like to use more tea per cup b/c there are so many different pieces of…stuff… in this blend. It’s my favorite blend from 52teas thus far (I’ve tried this, pancake breakfast, and strawberry pie honeybush).

Flavors: Butter

I really don’t know what I’m doing wrong with this. I’ve tried it twice now and in the bag its smells amazing. But once I make it…it tastes almost like cardboard. I know I got this in a swap and I remember steeping it once before. I thought I noted it so I’ll have to see if I enjoyed it better the first time. All in all its not the worst thing I’ve drank, but totally not something I’d pay for.