Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha

Green Tea
Green, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice, Creamy, Sweet, Vanilla, Burnt, Decayed wood, Earth, Nutty, Roasted, Grass, Hay, Rice, Autumn Leaf Pile, Butter, Cream, Toasty, Nuts, Burnt Food
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

2 Images

• “Indulging in a celebratory cup (or rather, travel mug)-ful of this one! What am I celebrating, you ask? Why, snagging another pouch of this! Haha. Anyways, it’s delicious as always. Nice and...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3069 tasting notes
  • “More cold brew for me. This batch definitely tastes better that way. Not as sweet and more toasty rice for the win. I’d like to finish a bit more tea before going back to the Island so there...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 1442 tasting notes
  • “I love this tea so much. I have the non-vegan version… and after having tried the vegan version, I can say that this one is much better. Sweet, very marshmallow treat-y. Yum Yum Yum!” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4835 tasting notes
  • “I finished this one recently. I’m sad to see it go :( I just realized what a great transition tea it is for the Fall. It retains some of the lightness that I tend to crave in Spring/Summer tea...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 357 tasting notes

From 52teas

Had some extra genmaicha (and a little bit of uji (matcha mixed with-) genmaicha that we blended together to create this awesome blend. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough of anything to make it a tea of the week, so here’s a bonus blend (VERY LIMITED EDITION) for this week.

We’ve blended genmaicha (Japanese sencha (I got it before the earthquake, so no worries) blended with toasted rice) with mini marshmallows and natural flavors. This blend is going to go FAST, and we won’t be able to blend any more for a while, if we ever do, so DO NOT drag your feet about this one.

About 52teas View company

Got this for my birfffffday! It’s nice and tasty too.. love the marshmallow but wish it had more matcha in the blend like Samovar’s Ryokucha. Still great though!

I absolutely love this genmaicha. It tastes nothing like a marshmallow treat to me, however, it tastes and smells a lot like cream soda. I LOVE cream soda. Though, I only drink diet sodas and rarely do, at that, cream soda is my favorite of them all. Pairing my favorite green tea with my favorite soda flavor = instant staple in my cupboard.

Note: This is an edited version of a review I made to one of my Tumblr blogs. (It will appear on Steepster before it is posted to my blog, since I’m using a queue.)

Note 2: This is the reblend version with the marshmallow root.

I added: Sugar.
Smell (dry): Slightly sweet marshmallow treats (left out awhile, maybe). (Sometimes you catch an edge of bitterness to the smell, but otherwise it smells nice. I left the packet open on the table as I wrote the review and the area smells nommy.)
Smell (brewed): Matcha with a dash of rice tea scent.
Color (brewed): Greenish-gold

Taste (plain): Green tea. I’m not sure how else to put it. It doesn’t taste at all like it smells (either dry or brewed). It’s a fairly mellow green tea (not too bitter). I don’t taste the toasted rice, marshmallow root, or anything else.

Taste (sugared): With the sugar, the green tea seems to oddly taste more bitter. (I wonder if that’s the matcha I taste? I could smell it for sure, but didn’t know it was in the mix until I went back to the 52 Teas website) I can taste a bit of the toasted rice and a faint marshmallow flavor now. I can better taste the sweet/marshmallow flavor if I “gulp” and let it roll over my tongue rather than letting it linger.

Actually – I got to the end of the cup where I suppose most of the sugar settled and suddenly it tastes quite like a marshmallow treat… and then is quickly overpowered by the bitterness of the green tea. It may be a flavoring issue on my end, rather than the tea itself.

Other comments: This was the tea that started it all, really. Or, at least, my tendency to order from 52 Teas specifically. I was reading reviews of a different tea (the one I’ll review next) on Steepster and looked at their Top Something list of teas where I saw “Marshmallow Treat” listed. I was fascinated – and then immediately disappointed when I realized it was a limited edition flavor. But it made me browse the site and sign up for their newsletter.

And then, one day near December, it happened: They re-released the flavor! Iee! I ordered three packets of tea (Pancake Breakfast, Cinnamon Roll Honeybush, and this) and prepared myself for the taste explosion to come!

Unfortunately, even fresh it never lived up to the hype – for me.

Would I buy it again?: Sadly, no. Maybe if it were paired with another base? I love the concept and it’s easy to tell from the smell that they came close. But I’m not sure I like green tea anymore. I know it’s meant to be very good for you and I certainly want to like it, but the bitterness I generally taste turns me off. It also smells like what I want it to taste like, but doesn’t taste like it.

Noting: It’s pretty good for a green tea. It’s one of the least bitter green teas I’ve had, actually.

Would I recommend it?: If you like green tea and you like marshmallow treats, why not? It’s a limited edition flavor, but I know for sure they’ve re-released it at least once. So you always have a shot if you keep your eyes open for it. Just be prepared to work with it until you get the right flavor balance. It may be something like, “Add cream!” or “Add half a tablespoon of sugar.” – I don’t know.

PS: I did try it with creamer for my third cup on a whim and it was… interesting. It may be just my imagination that it tasted more like marshmallow, though. But it certainly utterly negated the bitterness. I may try it like this again.

Oh happy day! I found my teeny remaining pouch of this. Now that I’ve been drinking mostly green, white, and oolongs, this one tastes even better if that’s possible. Toasty rice marshmallow scent rises from my cup and each sip is a glorious embrace of marshmallow, roasted rice nuttiness, and smooth green goodness.

Flavors: Green, Marshmallow, Toasted Rice

Daylon R Thomas

Interesting combo.

As a genmaicha lover I had to try this. I’m pleasantly surprised. Not too sweet and good genmaicha base. It’s not something I could see myself drinking daily but maybe once in awhile

YUMMMM. Oh, I really like this one. :) The dry leaf smells intensely of vanilla, sugar, marshmallow. Once the hot water hits, that continues but the roasty toasty notes of the genmaicha are added in. The aroma translates well into the flavour, and the tea is quite sweet (I actually pulled up the website to see if there was some kind of sweetener in this) and creamy and delicious. The green tea base is subtle and in the background – no bitterness or astringency.

Flavors: Creamy, Marshmallow, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vanilla

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Am I out of my Vulcan mind for drinking this with my breakfast? No, because I am not Vulcan :)
Okay… So being in Tokyo this year I was able to taste a lot of genmiacha teas. This tea does more than justice… It has this sweetness that is not too much. I really enjoy the powderyness of this, whatever it is :p I may just have to reup with this coupon!

This is my first time trying genmaicha.

I am guessing I am not a fan of genmaicha. So, please keep that in mind with reading this review. What is not MY cup of tea could very well be YOURS!

This smells incredible! Seriously, it smells just like a Rice Krispy Treat! It does not taste like it smells, which is unfortunate.

I couldn’t even finish a cup, and I’m sad to say that. So far, I’ve been impressed with the other 3 samples I’ve gotten from the NEW 52teas! I plan to order more.

Flavors: Burnt, Burnt, Decayed wood, Decayed wood, Earth, Earth, Nutty, Nutty, Roasted, Roasted

You know, being a creature of the internet (now you know the real reason I panicked when my computer died, I am literally made of internet) means that I tend to follow the various silly trends. #TBT (or Throw Back Thursday for those not hashtag savvy) is pretty much what it says on the tin, usually you post a selfie/photo of yourself taken a long time ago, and I thought, I should apply that to my blog. Basically it is my plan to make Thursday the day that I visit one of the neglected teas languishing in my stack of tea notebooks. I had originally planned on this being a Friday thing, but it didn’t feel right, so clearly I just needed the right meme. Also, I leveled up, tonight is game night and I can turn into animals (as long as they don’t fly, swim, or are too powerful) now, go Wild Shape!

So, before I get into today’s #TBT I want to point out an awesome Kickstarter that is currently in the works, Frank, the original creator of 52Teas is handing over the reigns to mother-daughter team Anne and Amethyst, you might know Anne as the cofounder of SororiTea Sisters, a very prolific tea blog, so you know that she knows her teas! I have been very hit or miss with 52teas flavors (very much so the nature of the beast when you come up with some of those wacky blends, once a week) but I am super excited to see how things go. Good luck you two, and to Frank with Southern Boys Iced Tea! So on to today’s tea, it was part of the sampler I ordered during the Indiegogo campaign and I won’t lie, it was the one I was most excited for because it has my much loved marshmallow root! Yes, I am talking about none other than Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha, as a person who has made and then subsequently eaten entire batches of rice crispy treats, you can see why I was excited. The aroma is sweet and slightly nutty with toasted rice, and a distinct note of grass. It reminds me a bit of laying in the grass while sniffing a rice crispy treat, the green notes are odd but not at all off putting, just like eating dessert in nature.

Steeping the tea is quite a treat, the aroma is rather delightful and intense. Notes of richly roasted rice and sweet marshmallow drift up from the soggy leaves (Genmai Cha always looks so sad once it is soggy) there is also a hint of grass and a bit of a savory note from both the rice and the green tea. The liquid without its soggy friends is all rice crispy treat all the time, no green tea to be found, just warm gooey marshmallows and toasted rice.

It is an odd mingling of flavors, this tea. Starting out with slightly kelp and slightly nutty umami tones along with a hint of grass, then the roasted rice builds and then boom, marshmallow explosion! It is really quite sweet and very evocative of rice crispy treats, but with a green tea twist. Something about the umami tones and the sweetness from the marshmallow mixes really well, the umami keeps the marshmallow from being too sweet and the marshmallow keeps the tea from being too savory, it is a balancing act. The finish is one of marshmallow, it lingers for quite a while making for a happy me. So yeah, of all the 52teas blends I have tried, this one might be my favorite, its other competition being the other marshmallow root teas, can you tell I have a fixation on that root?

For blog and (kinda awful) photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/01/52teas-marshmallow-treat-genmaicha-tea.html

Fjellrev

Oh man, I miss this one, especially the earlier blends. And I’m made of internet too!

DeliriumsFrogs

“laying in the grass while sniffing a rice crispy treat”… yeah, that pretty much sounds like the best to me. :)

Alexsia 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

I miss this one too, if it ever comes back I am snagging myself some more

I tried this one three times at slightly different brewing parameters. It’s hard to get this to taste right, but the trick seems to be low temp and short steep time (approx. 165f for 1 minute or less). If not steeped just so, it ends up tasting like burnt rice and the burnt note lingers. The marshmallow comes out more as a mallowy texture at the end of the sip than any actual flavor. When steeped exactly right, this does taste like rice cereal treats. It’s actually nicer hot than iced, even when done right. I would rate this an 80 for flavor, but the blend loses points for being so fickle.