Cashew Turtle

Chocolate, Nuts, Nutty, Caramel, Creamy, Drying, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

• “This week is a five-day series of sleep, starve/drink protein shakes while doing lab work until the wee hours of the morning, come home, eat, sleep, repeat. So no time for tea decisions, I’m...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 3132 tasting notes
  • “Hey, you guys? Guys? Guys! Guess what? I’m opening my very last pouch of my FAVOURITE 52teas flavour for a very special reason… I got a seasonal position at...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 514 tasting notes
  • “So ladies and gents, I was able to wrangle a small sample of this one from the lovely Kittenna who is hanging on to the last of her bag for dear life :) I have to say that...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 7757 tasting notes
  • “Snuck a quick cup of this in before heading out to the dentist yesterday morning. It also happened to be the last cup I had of this from last year’s Xmas sampler. This was one of the teas...” Read full tasting note
    chrine 545 tasting notes

From 52teas

After getting behind last week, only to find my office flooded via some plumbing mishap at the end of the week, I went in to work this weekend and decided that we really needed a special treat for our tea of the week this week. Something rich and decadent and sinful. Something to ease a troubled and harried mind…

So here we are: I started with a bold blend of Assam teas; none of those lighter crisper teas for this blend, this is to be a full, rich experience. Into that blend of Assam teas, I’ve added organic cacao nibs for a rich, chocolatey experience and real cashew pieces along with all natural chocolate, caramel and cashew flavors.

If you can open a pouch of this tea and your mouth doesn’t instantly start to water, you might want to check your pulse. This folks, is a Dessert tea with a capital “D”. Enjoy it, and don’t miss out. It’s not going to last long!

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of August 1st, 2011

About 52teas View company

Wow! I really like this one. It’s a dessert tea, sweet, with a base of black tea and a thread of caramel. I don’t really get a nutty flavor to this, but the overall idea of a chocolate turtle is definitely there. I’ll be trying milk with this soon to see how it tastes.

Thanks to LiberTea for passing on a sample!

Wow. If you want a tea that tastes exactly like what it says, this is a good one to try. You can taste the nutty overtones very strongly, and there’s a hint of chocolatey caramel that mixes distinctively with the cashews. If I chew on my ice cubes it’s like I’ve eaten a little sweet treat without the guilt. I am on an iced tea kick, as usual in the summer, and this one is brilliant over ice. I use a splash of half & half to up the creaminess, and I sweeten with splenda. I’m sure it would be just as lovely with other sweeteners, especially honey (I imagine it taking on a honey nut cheerio flavor) — overall I think this tea is really wonderful for a hot summer day, or as an after dinner tea. Really, it’s great any time of day, but I don’t really place time restrictions on tea with the exception of chamomile (bedtime). Love it, love it!!

What a perfect christmas tea! Unfortunately I didn’t read any of the caveats about oversteeping until after I committed the same sin. I typically like my flavored black teas a little stronger, and disregard steeping instructions, but this delicate blend would have none of that! Despite the bitterness, there was excellent deep, dark chocolately flavor mixed with caramel and a hint of nuttiness that made for a decadent indulgence, which helped get through today at work! After all, isn’t that what the holidays are all about?

Not a bad cup of tea by any means, but not particularly noteworthy either. I taste more caramel than chocolate, and the cashew adds just a hint of nuttiness.

Cashews!
I’m excited, because here is a tea where the cashews are a prominent note. Finally!
I get a lot of cashew creaminess, but can’t say I get a lot of the “turtle” aspect. This isn’t dreadful to me, as chocolate teas and I have an agreement not to bother one another too much.
I have enough for another cup later, and I’m looking forward to giving it another spin.

Finally getting through most of my older 52Teas! I’ve been looking forward to this one, because cashews are my favourite kind of nut. I’m the kind of person who always hogs the cashew chicken when we’re having Chinese. I wanted this tea to be good (52 Teas from this era are so hit and miss), and, fortunately, it is!

I used 1 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 3.5 minutes in boiling water, splash of milk. The initial flavour is smooth, silky caramel, followed by a hit of dark chocolate that even the milk hasn’t managed to mellow out. So rich and cocoa-like! The cashew, glorious, creamy nuttiness, comes out mostly towards the end of the sip, and works really well with the chocolate and caramel (of course it does!). It’s such a good combination, I’m pretty sure I could drink this all day and not tire of it.

I’m enjoying this one. It’ll be a good way to say goodbye to the last of my old 52Teas, if there’s still some left when I get to that point!

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 1 tsp
Evol Ving Ness

How old is this one? You say old and I want to know how old is your old.

52Teas

I believe her pouch is one from the original pouch when Frank blended this one. :)

Evol Ving Ness

Thanks, 52Teas. :)

The “cashew” part of this is a TOTAL LIE.
They’re actually, due to food allergies, sunflower seeds. I suppose this is an acceptable alternative to keep people from dying. I GUESS. WHILE YOU’RE AT IT, GO HUG A TREE, HIPPIES.*
(*I can’t taste the difference whatsoever.)

On to the taste.
I’d rank the flavors in the following order of strength:
1) nuts
2) black tea
3) chocolate
This is a really solid, tasty blend.
It’s like dating a lumberjack who gets along with your mom AND your grandma. You might not marry him, but he helps out around the house and generally improves everyone’s day.

Flavors: Chocolate, Nuts, Nutty

Kittenna

Haha, I like your lumberjack analogy!

Yummy chocolate, caramel, and creamy nuttiness. This is one of my favorite teas. I loved the original version that was created several years ago. And, I’m surprised to see that I never reviewed it. I specifically asked for this to be reblended as part of the Kickstarter for the 52Teas Reboot. I’m so glad I did. I can’t easily compare this to the original blend, but I remember really liking the creamy caramel and nutty flavor of the original and that’s what I like most about this reblend as well. The flavors really shine when it has cooled a bit but is still warm. I think this reblend may be a little more chocolaty than the original, but it’s hard to say. The chocolate is definitely there even though this isn’t really a chocolate tea. It’s the creamy caramel and cashew that shine. Cashew is my favorite nutty flavor in tea. I could just drink this all day. Sometimes with almond flavors there is something cloying about the flavor that while I “like” it, I really can’t have more than one cup in a sitting. And caramel teas are so hit or miss for me. This one pulls it off perfectly.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Nutty

Wam Bam, back to tea! I’ve been away for so long mainly bc life D:

I’m slowly getting tea back into my life and I actually forgot how much I love it!
Anyway, I got this from Sil AGES ago. It did have that old tea taste, but I’m not too picky and it still tasted pretty good with a bit of milk and sugar to help it along!

The chocolate and caramel notes in this tea was lovely. Smooth, not overly bitter like some other chocolate teas that I’ve had before.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

welcome back!

jump62359

Thank you! It’s good to be back :)

HHTTB

I’m not getting much at all from this tea, but I pulled it from a traveling tea box that has had several rounds and it’s in a regular zip plastic baggie, so the odds are stacked against this poor tea! It could be quite old.

tea-sipper

I make sure to remove any teas from the HH teabox that I’ve seen before.. certainly if they’ve been in the box for two rounds. Definitely don’t want those well traveled teas in the box! :D