Cherry Cheesecake Genmaicha

Green Tea
Cream, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Mmmmmmm. Wanted Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha tonight, but decided it would be better to go through some samples I have instead of getting closer to finishing off my beloved half-empty bag (I think I...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “I’m surrounded by boxes from the move. Boxes, boxes, boxes everywhere, and one of them contains my teapot! GASP!!! The horror!!!! I feel certain that I labelled the box with my teapot to be...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes
  • “This tea is simply too good. I started writing this review, and then took a sip, and then another sip and relaxed... and then started putzing around online, daydreaming... Anyway, we've been...” Read full tasting note
    telepathboy 185 tasting notes
  • “I'm trying to drink up more old teas before I open new ones (except Weeping Angel, I'm almost to the Doctor Who episode they first appear in and I'm having a cup with it), and I completely forgot...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes

From 52teas

After the success of our Malted Genmaicha and Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha, we’re back at it again. Here’s a blend of Japanese Genmaicha (sencha green tea and toasted rice) with real freeze-dried cherries and natural cheesecake and maraschino cherry flavors.

About 52teas View company

Another wonderful Genmaicha blend from 52teas. The natural cherry flavoring is rather delicate but is not overwhelmed by the roasted nutty goodness of the genmaicha base. At first sip, you don’t get a very strong cherry taste but it really comes through at the end for a well rounded blend. I did find that the flavors really blossomed as the tea cooled to just above room temperature and was best enjoyed at that point.

Thank you to Anne for sending me this sample :)

The tea leaves smell very sweet and enticing. I can definitely smell the cherry sweet aspect of it. This stuff smells amazing!

First steep : 2 minutes, 170 degrees – Not a very strong smell from the tea itself. Very light tasting. I didn’t get much cherry in the first steep, but I really did enjoy the flavor overall. It definitely has a smooth buttery taste to it.

Second steep : 3 minutes, 170 degrees – I enjoyed this steep much more! Will continue to steep for 3 minutes in the future. The full flavor of the tea really came out! I love that this tea is sweet in a way but not overpoweringly sweet and still has a light aspect to it. I’m really enjoying this one. I’ll be sad when this sample is gone.

Thank you Marzipan for this lovely tea. I really haven’t had genmaicha before. I think I taste the brown rice. Not tasting much cherry which is a bit disappointing. I am tasting some cheesecake but not a lot. A pleasurable cup of tea. I’ve never had a cheesecake tea except the cheesecake matcha latte(Red Leaf) that I am so in love with. The matcha has a much better taste since it is made with a milk substitute. It isn’t fair to compare them. Still enjoyable. Thanks Marzipan!

First sample from my swap with Dustin! I’d only tried one 52teas blend prior to this one—Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish with the black base—and didn’t care for it at all, mostly because I thought the base tea was just gross. I’m pleased to say I like this one quite a bit better.

I love genmaicha in general and find it relatively hard to mess up, so that’s a point in this tea’s favor going in. Dry and while steeping, the aroma’s all genmaicha—I love that combination of toasty rice and faintly seaweedy sencha, so we’re off to a good start. The initial flavor’s all genmaicha too, but the cherry comes through in the aftertaste. It’s candy cherry—it makes me think of cherry popsicles, actually—but it’s done well; not cough-syrupy at all. The cherry’s on the faint side, and I find I have to really focus on each sip to detect it. I used 1 tsp./8 oz. of water here, so I think I’ll try going a little heavier with the rest of my sample to see if that makes a difference to the strength. It’s by no means bad as is, though. I’m not getting cheesecake (or creaminess), but I think there’s enough going on here as it is.

Cherry and genmaicha doesn’t strike me as a natural combination, but it works pretty well. I still think I prefer straight genmaicha, but I’m glad to have had the chance to try this blend and certainly wouldn’t object to trying it again.

2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML