Flaming Chocolate Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Southern Boy Teas

From 52teas

Ready for a bit of heat and a bit of sweet? How about a nice caffeine kick to boot? Here’s some roasted yerba mate blended with organic cacao nibs and cayenne pepper for a delicious, caffeinated kick in the mouth.

As always, this is a limited edition so don’t miss out.

Our Tea of the Week for the week of April 30, 2012

About 52teas View company

So this one is Very interesting i can sense the bit of heat but its not overwhelming and its quick to go away after you swallow I am Quite enjoying this tea :) thanks to Tigress_al For this wonderful tea! :)

Steep Information:
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: spicy chocolate
Steeped Tea Smell: roasty, hint coco, hint spice
Flavor: watery, hint of chocolate, roasted
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: spice
Liquor: translucent red brown

I don’t like mate or spice, so this was a loser to me.

Rating: 1/4 leaves

Blog: http://amazonv.teatra.de/2013/01/13/52teas-loose-leaf-mate-tisane-flaming-chocolate-mate/

I received a sample of this tea from CK

I don’t know if it’s just too old or a bad batch or what, but I didn’t get the slightest bit of cayenne pepper from this. I tasted roasted mate and stale chocolate (but then, chocolate in tea often comes across as stale to me).

Not at all the tea for me (even if I could get more Cayenne pepper in it), but glad I got to try it.

My first ever tea review from a 52 tea’s blend. I have been waiting to try this for a while and now is the perfect time for me as I have time to savour it.

While raw this tea looks like little pieces of mixed herbs but in a dark brown colour and it smells like a malty hot chocolate drink.

Steeped this is dark brown in colour and smells of a spicy malt drink, not particularly chocolate based. The chocolate does not come out very much through the taste either but the pepper truly is fiery (in a nice way) and it gives this tea a lovely element. I am thinking that perhaps a sugar in this tea may help to bring out the chocolate taste a little more or at least balance the flavours.

If you have had original mate then it tastes very much the same as that (dark and malty) but with an added spicy kick which is most noticeable in the after taste.

In honesty it’s not my sort of thing, I was hoping it would be a tad more chocolatey but I suppose it’s just more of a personal thing. It was nice to try for that something different cup of tea but I think next time a bit of sweetener or some kind will help.

EDIT: I got half way down the cup and thought I had might as well try it with a sweetener (one of the calorie free tablet kinds) and the sweetness is not the thing that I can taste first. It’s now sweet and sour tea which I think is much nicer than without it, the pepper also has more flavour now than just spiciness. I think this will be perfect for the winter holidays. :)

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

I brewed this with boiling water for 10 minutes and then put the pitcher in the refrigerator to cool overnight. I am enjoying a thermos of it today.

I honestly didn’t know what to think of it the first time I had it. I’m still not sure if I love it or think it’s just really odd. I mean it tastes like hot pepper, chocolate mate. I’m on the fence about mate to begin with and hot pepper in my drink seems odd to me, but I can’t stop drinking it. It is super smooth and has a kick, but doesn’t get too spicy hot. In fact I think I might like the cayenne pepper.

Boiling 8 min or more