Butterbeer

Root Beer, Butter
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From 52teas

I got my recipe directly from The Three Broomsticks: Premium black teas blended with a bit of essence of rootbeer, a bit of butter vapors, some licorice root, chichory root and a touch of magic. Our Butterbeer tea is the beverage of choice for wizards of all ages, and if you have no idea what I’m referring to, please go on about your muggle life, this blend is for Harry Potter fans only. Well, okay, I guess muggles could enjoy it too. It is truly unique and delicious. A blend worthy of the 52teas brand of creative flavored teas. Enjoy!

Our Tea of the Week for the week of June 18, 2012

About 52teas View company

This is tea #11 from the sampler. I’m sitting on the couch sipping it while I relax from a crazy day of work at the bookstore. I’m back on Boxing Day too, blah.

I’m not sure what butterbeer is meant to taste like as I’ve never tried any of the fan-made recipes floating around the internet and I don’t think it was ever described in the books. I’m going to assume a similarity with rootbeer as this is what this blend tastes like to me – and that’s totally okay as I love rootbeer. There’s a bit of something more in there that’s harder to define – it’s smooth and slightly creamy with a bit of natural sweetness. Very yummy!

I received this one in a random sample swap from Ze_Teamaker! So thank you :D It smells so good! I didn’t really know what to expect flavor wise from this tea. It reminds me of a chinese soda(kind of like rootbeer but A LOT different) I get from the Southeast Market with a scoop of ice cream or vanilla in it. MM :] I’m happy I got to try this one! Thank you again Ze_Teamaker!

So, after a bad weekend of candy and such, I’ve decided to do my “vegan” diet thing today and tomorrow if I can (eh, we will see). That means only whole fruit and vegetables, as well as no sugar added and natural juice, and tea and water.(bananas, avocados, and perhaps one potato are my friend. Don’t worry, I’m not going to starve myself.) After complaining how hard it was to my boyfriend, he told me it couldn’t be “that” hard, so after a bit of a spat (don’t worry, we made up later) he is going to be doing the diet too tomorrow, to prove that its not so hard, and to provide moral support. (Good boyfriend). :) We’ll see if either of us breaks, right?

Now on to the tea. I decided I shouldn’t put sweetener in my tea while I do this thing, since that IS food, in a way….so I tried to drink a tea that would taste good even WITHOUT sweetener, a hard task for me. (I love my tea a bit sweet; brings out the flavor.)

This tea stands up to the task, one of the only ones that did. Its natural licorice flavor (which I happen to LOVE, lol….maybe had to do with all the black licorice candy my dad kept around the house when I was growing up) is sweet on its own and comes out nicely without any help.

When I had drank this tea before with a bit of sweetener, it tasted remarkably like not-fizzy, and slightly watered down root beer. I don’t taste much “butter” flavor in this, and I would like it if it did. That is probably my only complaint; this is a good tea. Would I buy it again? Well I want to try Davids tea version first and see the differences before I say which is better, but yes I would like to keep some root beer inspired tea in my cupboard. Cheers!

Babble

Good luck. I’ve been experimenting with a vegan diet the past two days myself and it is HARD. So you are not eating any grains or legumes?

Also, you’ve learned the golden rule – if you want a guy to do something for you just tell him that he CAN’T do it, and he’ll be too prideful to back down ;)

KittyKat88

Yes, I see that now. ;) I managed it, although it was hard. So did my boyfriend, surprisingly!

I’m afraid to go to the 52Teas website after I write this note. I’m afraid that the Butterbeer will be all gone and I won’t be able to order say dozens more packages, for me, and to force upon all my friends and family: SEE?? TEA IS AWESOME! I’M NOT CRAZY! TRY THIS!!

Ahem. Sorry.

I’m reading the other tasting notes and seeing that I was supposed to be getting a root beer flavor and yes, in the beginning, I suppose I did. But towards the middle and end of the cup, it was creamy dreamy butterscotch candy that I was tasting. And I want more and more and more. I’m scaring myself a little; I know this tasting note is a bit on the manic side…

Blame it on the Butterbeer.

Off to check that website! Wish me luck!

My school ran a butterbeer shake special a while back that was just a butterscotch shake with cayenne pepper in it for some reason. This is much better than that. But why did it take me so long to realize this smelled like rootbeer? Haha, I’m silly. I don’t really drink root beer unless it is accompanied by vanilla ice cream. I have a friend who is a root beer connoisseur and has tried like, 200 kinds. Anyway, I adore cream soda, and now I recognize that this tea reminds me of a cream soda/rootbeer hybrid! It’s very exciting how spot on it is…dunno how Frank does it. I wonder what it would be like iced…

DaisyChubb

haha that milkshake sounds hilarious! It would make more sense to throw some butter in there or something, and although that would be weird, cayenne pepper seems even more weird lol

Rebecca Lynn

Yeah, people were generally disappointed. I don’t know who thought that would be a good call, haha.

I am so excited you guys! My order from 52teas finally showed up andI can smell! I’m not 100 percent better, but I can actually smell everything, so I can appreciate the tea that just came.

Being a huge book nerd, this is the first one I ripped open. I’m drinking it hot right now. I’m going to have to do some experimenting but I think this would be better cold.

It tastes sort of like what root beer would taste like if root beer tasted good (I don’t like carbonation). I could see the characters in the book drinking a drink like this. Overall I love this stuff.

I let dad have a sip. he wasn’t as thrilled. He looked at me and asked “What the hell is this?”

Not digging this as I had hoped. Boo. I am picking up a little flavour, but not that much, honestly…typical for my 52teas experience. I’ll probably finish this sample from sil, but I don’t think this is one that I can’t live without. Butterbeer from IOA/WWOHP on the other hand, is so lovely, and I wish I could have it on demand here. I am gonna try the Butterbeer Starbucks custom blend/secret menu option:

ashmanra

I wonder if it was old? Mine was bursting with flavor. I had to send some to my future son-in-law in Ireland and he was really wow’ed by how intense the flavor was.

Fjellrev

Glad I didn’t bother ordering this one.

ashmanra

Thanks for the Starbucks link! I sent it to my daughter and she is eager to try it!

Being a huge Harry Potter fanatic I had been dreaming of trying this tea since I learned of its existence. When I got my 12 days sampler for Christmas, I cheated and opened this one to try immediately.

I didn’t account for the fact that I HATE rootbeer. One day, I will get to visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and see if their butterbeer can tickle my pallet. And this is probably the best rootbeer flavored thing I have ever had, but I just don’t like that flavour. I’ve tried it now as a latte, straight hot, and iced. I think iced was the best. But still too close to rootbeer.

2014-03-09
Bwahahaha i stole Cavocorax’s pouchhoard!
i feel really touched that she sent this tea to me when she loves it so much!!

it’s true i’ve been wanting to try this tea for a long time.
but … i have a confession, …i’m not even a harry potter person! Eeeeee
pleeeeaze don’t revoke my fangirl membership card!!!!
i mean, the tea just sounds yum!
Butter… Beer… Duh! O_o

and it is! it is totally yum!
and i have cups worth to drink!
giant muggle cups of rootish beer and buttery tones.
sluuuuurp a slurp.
luckiest muggle ever.

2012-12-25
omg i haven’t really drank tea all day! what’s with that!?
i did have a pot of peppermint tea at the museum bar after seeing the Chihuly exhibit with my sister.
but that didn’t really count in my mind.
though it did feel good in my tummy.

OMGsrsly

GASP! Not a Harry Potter person!?

Cavocorax

:O Not… into Harry Potter???? Whaaaa?
Hahah, but it’s cool. I’m happy you are enjoying it!

music27note

How are you not a Harry Potter person? I wasn’t aware this was possible.

Shmiracles

ummmm idk idk idk!! i mean, it might be my age? but that doesn’t seem right to say. just,… maybe it was a timing thing via age?
i didn’t used to be a very big reader. and i was smack dab in the middle of college when the first books came out.
but i have a pretty clear memory of the scene in the last movies where they are drinking it. (the scenes felt a bit like fanfic hah)
and i’ve seen all the movies cuz my roommate has read all the books multiple times. but i tried reading them and never got very far.
hey, i’ll ask my sister!! she always has the best emotional and intellectual insight into these kind of things.
To Be Continued….!

Made this as a cold brew. Brewed for about 26 hours. Tastes like flat Barq’s rootbeer. I prefer to drink pop when its flat, so this is delicious. I could have added a bit of sweetener to give it a more pop-like taste, but it was good without sweetener as well. I think this one might be good steeped in soda water.