Butterbeer

Butter, Butterscotch, Candy, Root Beer, Sarsaparilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From 52teas

I got my recipe directly from The Three Broomsticks: Premium black teas blended with a bit of essence of rootbeer, a bit of butter vapors, some licorice root, chichory root and a touch of magic. Our Butterbeer tea is the beverage of choice for wizards of all ages, and if you have no idea what I’m referring to, please go on about your muggle life, this blend is for Harry Potter fans only. Well, okay, I guess muggles could enjoy it too. It is truly unique and delicious. A blend worthy of the 52teas brand of creative flavored teas. Enjoy!

Our Tea of the Week for the week of June 18, 2012

About 52teas View company

I thought I wouldn’t order any more tea until after New Year, but I had to make an exception for this I had only gotten a taster but I loved it, so I went back and got a few more from what was left. It was that and the fact that we’ve put a big dent in our Chocolate Marshmallow Chai already. My husband has been drinking it almost every day.

The flavor of this is pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be. Root beer with smooth, sweet butterscotch. I love butterscotch. Those bright yellow ones Grandma always has in a dish? That’s exactly what this tastes like, except blended with sarsaparilla. I am really savoring that butter flavor.

I should probably mention that I made this over ice. It was great that way, but I’m also really looking forward to trying it hot.

Flavors: Butter, Butterscotch, Candy, Root Beer, Sarsaparilla

Kristal

I always find myself making promises to myself about not getting more tea til after a certain date, but I always seem to break that promise :/. Instead I’ve been focusing more on keeping my collection circulating and fresh (i.e. the vast majority of my cupboard should contain teas 6 months or less old since I acquired them).

This week’s tea of the week (Retro Monday Reblend!)

I had a couple of cups of this earlier today but I was without internet connection for a few hours today – fortunately things are up and running now and I’m able to print out my mailing labels so that I can send subscription boxes out today! Yay!

This is really good – I think I liked today’s cup even better than I enjoyed the tea when I conducted the taste test: http://52teas.com/blog/tea-of-the-week-for-october-31-2016-retro-monday-butter-beer-black-tea/

Today’s cup was smooth and butterscotch-y with a nice background of root beer. I recently discovered a butterscotch beer soft drink from ‘flying cauldron’ – which seems to be an obvious take on the Harry Potter beverage that inspired this tea as well – and this afternoon’s cuppa reminded me a lot of the soda that I tasted about two month’s ago. Really yummy.

Warning: I have no clue how old the sample of this I had was. That being said, the bit that I tried was pretty good. I had the first cup hot where it had a mild root beer flavour. The rest I cold brewed in my fridge for about 48 hours or so. It became quite dark so I feared for bitterness. Luckily I received none and was treated to a nice Sarsaparilla taste. Sadly though I didn’t have any buttery /butterscotch like flavour to make it special. It was just a nice sarsaparilla.

Flavors: Root Beer, Sarsaparilla

Sipdown, with half and half. Thanks again, Lala, for giving me the opportunity to try this! Perhaps, with the new management, I’ll reorder from them again someday after all.

Sipdown!

I had this one yesterday morning, so my memory of it is a little hazy. I remember liking it. Picked up on some of the butteriness and a bit of licorice and something that reminded me of root beer.

Thanks for the sample, Lala!

Kirkoneill1988

i don’t like licorice :(

I brewed this to do a little taste test next to 52teas rootbeer float. The butterbeer smells more of rootbeer but I find myself missing the marshmallow and vanilla that are in the rootbeer float. It definitely tastes like rootbeer. Although it leaves a strange sweet after taste in my throat that I’m not fond of.

Back when this tea first came out I was a bit disappointed in Frank’s interpretation of butterbeer. I had imagined it to be buttery creamy butterscotch with malty undertones and smooth foamy bubbles. And since Hermione had supposedly gotten a bit tipsy on it once, I thought there might be about 1% or 2% alcohol content. Obviously you can’t get foam and alcohol into tea, but still… root beer did not match my imagination.
Yet, this tea regularly gets great reviews so I curious to try it anyway. Fortunately, Ashmanra was generous enough to share, what I assume was, the remnants of her pouch of this tea.

Now that my sinuses have mostly recovered, I was able to appreciate this tea.
The scent is definitely buttery root beer. I do have fond childhood memories of root beer so it’s always a nice flavor for me. The brewed tea is a dark reddish brown with nicely balanced tea and root beer flavor. The licorice is shy here, which is fine by me. The chicory probably provides body though I don’t really taste it. It’s pleasant and cooling in a traditional Chinese yin/yang sense.
I don’t normally sweeten my tea, but this one sort of demands it. A teaspoon of sugar in the raw and a splash of cream brings this a little closer to my imagined ideal. It’s not butterscotch, but this is a pretty tasty interpretation. I can’t wait to drink this again. :)

Well this tea is a big old NOPE for me. It’s probably not this tea’s fault… I hate root beer. It’s a shame because all of a sudden, I was like “I’m going to watch Harry Potter and drink this tea.” Also, I’ve had “real” butterbeer at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and it was sooooo delicious. It was cream soda based; no root beer. That’s more of what I was expecting. I won’t rate it because of my aversion to root beer. Anyway, I love all things Potter and was very happy to be able to try this courtesy of Miss B. Thanks!

Flavors: Root Beer

whatshesaid

Aw, too bad. I thought it was decent! I enjoy root beer though :)
Man we are going back to Orlando in the fall and you better believe I will be drinking my share of Butterbeer!!

Boo. I am so disappointed. I was expecting so much more out of this. I bought the SBT Butterbeer pouch and it was epic: tasted exactly like I expected it to. Butterscotch, malt and butter$. This one tastes similar, but toned way down. Maybe it’s lost some of it’s flavour over time? I really don’t know.

Thank you so much MissB for sending this :)

mj

I hate it when that happens! If you really need some butterbeer, try this recipe:
It’s a total pain but it tastes pretty much exactly like the one they sell at Harry Potter World.

Virginia

Wait. What is Harry Potter World?
I feel like that’s where I want to live for the rest of my life.

mj

OMG girl!! Only the best theme park there ever was:
I can’t believe you’ve never heard of it!!

All of the tasting notes that I see for this tea are from the original blend, and I know what I’ve got is a reblend… so I’m curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with this one. Because, one sip and I had to dump it. Tasted – literally – like cardboard.

whatshesaid

I’ve had that problem with 52teas before….

Dustin

I had that experience with that tea. I think mine may have been a reblend too.