Mango Ice Cream

Cream, Fruity, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “Ohhh yeah, cold steeping this was pretty much the best idea I had all week. My first class was a little more stressful than expected, so coming home to an ice cold pitcher of this has instantly...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 937 tasting notes
  • “I didn't really know what to expect from this tea before I took the first sip. In the bag it smells like alcohol, no joke! It's very strange. Brewed it smells like a particularly strong Irish...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “Yum!!! This is seriously... my first cup of tea today. Yes, my first cup at about 6:45 pm. I got up early, got my little one to school then I headed back to bed. My oldest called me while I...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4665 tasting notes
  • “Oh man I can't stop playing this game on my phone called Battle Cats. I only downloaded it because of its name and I definitely don't regret it. It cooled off enough thanks to storms that I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1212 tasting notes

From 52teas

My wife and I have a favorite Chinese restaurant here in Wichita (if you live here or plan to visit, you HAVE to check out Oh Yeah; It really is awesome. Tell Shu that Frank sent you).

Anyway, the food there is amazing, but I think my wife’s favorite part is the Mango ice cream. It does strike me as the perfect, sweet, creamy ending to a fabulous meal. Anyway, it inspired me to make this week’s Tea of the Week. I hope you enjoy it.

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of July 30, 2012

About 52teas View company

Ohhh yeah, cold steeping this was pretty much the best idea I had all week. My first class was a little more stressful than expected, so coming home to an ice cold pitcher of this has instantly made me feel better. Oh, but wait, my favourite band ever is PLAYING ON THE STAGE RIGHT NOW in Vancouver and I couldn’t make it because the trip there would have taken far too long from the Island. Headache returning. It’s ok, iced tea soothing.

Serving Mango Ice Cream iced is a no-brainer, but I’m especially impressed how the mango comes out even more when cold steeped. It tastes creamier too. There is also an added crispness to the mango flavour.

Aaaaaand pitcher done. Now to leave some Sun and Cloud Mist to cold steep overnight.

Iced
Lynne-tea

This sounds so delicious. I really need to break into 52teas.. Maybe tonight is the night =0
I just wish I could have gotten my hands on the Sun and Cloud Mist tea.

Lynne-tea

OOOOOOkay! I did it.. I got Butterbeer. I am so excited. First 52teas order EVER.

Indigobloom

aww sorry you missed your fave band!! I’ve had that happen and it sucks :(

DaisyChubb

I feel you! What band was playing? You should find a live stream of a concert and listen to it and rock out, just because!

Fjellrev

Hope you’ll enjoy the Butterbeer, Lynne!

Yeah, it’s such bad timing with concerts sometimes. Thanks for the suggestion, Daisy, but they’re not a very well known band here (Katatonia) so there wouldn’t be a live stream anywhere. But I should quit my whining because I was lucky enough to go to their 20th anniversary show in Stockholm last December. :)

I didn’t really know what to expect from this tea before I took the first sip. In the bag it smells like alcohol, no joke! It’s very strange. Brewed it smells like a particularly strong Irish Breakfast, no mango or cream to be found. Thankfully it’s quite different on the tongue, and kind of amazingly balanced. I always expect great things from 52teas and I suppose my expectations are sometimes a little too lofty, but boy did they deliver on this one!

There are 3 components, and each of them really stands out. The black base is fantastic, I think a bit stronger than some of their others (even though it’s the same blend, maybe this batch is a bit heavier on the assam?). It’s really brisk! The ice cream part is really, well, cream, and is totally divine. It adds a glorious, rich smoothness to the cup that really balances out the maltiness of the base. Then there’s the mango, which at first I thought was a little hidden but it really comes in bright and loud at the end of the sip. Fresh, sweet, almost juicy!

Everything fits together so well, working in perfect harmony. It’s great without additions but I am feeling naughty tonight so I put in a heap of sugar and actual cream. Oooooh lord, this is amazing. I bet it’d be even better iced, so I am going to cold brew the rest of these leaves!

haha so missed out on this one. hoping they’ll bring it back!

Alphakitty

I almost missed it too, though it seems like recent popular blends come back really fast (i.e Butterbeer, Sun & Cloud Mist, EG Cheesecake) so I think there’s hope!

tigress_al

I wanted to get this one but hesitated. And then it was sold out. I gotta be quicker

Alphakitty

The worst thing about 52teas is how darn fast some things sell out. And you never really know what is going to be popular and what is going to stick around!

I agree!

Yum!!!

This is seriously… my first cup of tea today. Yes, my first cup at about 6:45 pm. I got up early, got my little one to school then I headed back to bed. My oldest called me while I was sleeping to invite me shopping (and since my daughter is also my best friend, I wasn’t going to pass up spending a day with her), so I didn’t really have time to grab a cup of tea… then when we got home, we needed to head back out to get my youngest off to ballet. We just got home, I needed to fix dinner, so now I am finally able to relax and wrap my hands around a cup of tea. ahhhh…

Normally, I wouldn’t have a cup of black tea this late in the day, but since I NEED caffeine by now, I risked it.

Oh my goodness this is really good. I taste the creamy ice cream… the mango is delicious and juicy and absolutely incredible. So good. I am so glad that I am a subscriber to the tea of the week (I am actually in the monthly program, I get my packages once a month, with all the teas of the previous month) because I know this one sold out pretty quickly, and I would have been so sad to have missed out on this one.

It’s a keeper.

Terri HarpLady

That sounds awesome!

Way to rub it in to those of us who missed this one haha. Really glad it’s a good one..hoping for a reblend from frank someday….

tigress_al

This sounds great! I missed out too. Lol, I check the site often for reblends!

Oh man I can’t stop playing this game on my phone called Battle Cats. I only downloaded it because of its name and I definitely don’t regret it.

It cooled off enough thanks to storms that I wanted to drink hot tea! Yay! I was looking through stuff and realized I haven’t had this nearly enough, although I have given plenty away. I never had it hot, either.

It was quite good hot, in fact I still have some and it’s cold and I can’t taste mango whatsoever. It actually tasted like mango while it was hot. And it was just a bit creamy, not too sweet though.

Back to speaking of it cold, I previously cold brewed it and the creaminess wasn’t there. I think that’s a fine trade off. I’d rather have the mango. I mean I guess it’s slightly there when I finish the sip but it’s almost floral tasting too. It does have such an excellent base tea to it though, I almost don’t mind finishing the cup this way.

Hot or cold brewing the rest it is then.

Cavocorax

Battle cats sounds awesome. Googling it now. :P

You know, I wish I had bought a package of this one, in retrospect. I’m loving the creaminess, and this would be great to take to work in my travel mug, what with the fruitiness and creaminess, and with a properly-timed infusion, smooth black base. There’s just a hiiiint of fakey/plastic-y flavour, which for all I know could be from the plastic baggie it has sat in for months, but other than that, it’s delicious.

Thanks again for this sample, Azzrian! And yep, this is another sipdown :D

Oh man I wish I’d been around for this one. I love me some mango

Azzrian

My pleasure glad you liked some of the samples! :)

Kittenna

I liked most of them :D

And Sil – it wasn’t overtly MANGO, just fruity. I wish it had been more mangoey!

Indigobloom

Dang this sounds so good. You are on a sipdown roll lady!

I just can’t express enough how surprised I am at this tea.
FRESH mango flavor! Even get a little of that rind aroma and flavor from it!
Wow really very good – no other way to put it.
The creaminess is there too.
YUMMIE!

TeaBrat

I am seriously tempted by this!

I was wondering how well the mango flavor would come through. Of course now it’s sold out haha

Thank you Azzrian for sharing this blend with me.
I really get the mango fruit taste, amazing.
The tea base is smooth and mellow but a little too weak for my taste.
I think I get the creaminess (a taste complicated to get and express for me)

Somehow it makes me think to a mango lassi more than a mango ice cream, very nice.
A very pleasant tea

Let’s just say….yum.

This is a lovely, creamy, just the right amount of mango-y tea. I made this iced with a small amount of raw sugar.

I’m really delighted my friend Dylan doesn’t like mango. More for me that I don’t need to share. =)

I think I’ll go make a glass of this now.

Srsly, folks. Yum.

I received this from alphakitty

I don’t get much in smell other than just a black tea, as it steeps I geta bit of a mango smell.

At first sip I don’t get much flavour other than some astringency.
I am tasting a bit of mango & a slight amount of cream, this tea may have benefited from a little less leaf than I usually use. and I may have steeped it a bit long.

My my my, it just does not get better then this! I had bought a mango tea from a store about two hours from me and had run out. I was really disappointed when I finished it off and almost immediately started wanting another glass. But I must say I am so glad I didn’t make another two hour drive! Frank’s tea surpasses that tea in every way.

It’s smooth, mangoy, refreshing, and well balanced.

Absolutely love this tea.

LiberTEAS

I just checked and it looks like my box of teas from 52Teas is on its way! YAY!!! Not that I need to add more teas to my stash…