Graveyard Mist

Green Tea, Marshmallow Root, Organic Flavours, Spearmint
Bitter, Grass, Marshmallow, Spearmint, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

2 Images

• “How am I the first one to log this creation?! Cool, my first ever 52Teas purchase and I get to break it in on Steepster!! :P Now the tea. First of let me begin by saying that I just got home from...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1342 tasting notes
  • “My friend came over for dinner, and we made the most epic dinner ever! Fresh trout from fishing on Sunday cooked in a pan, steamed asparagus with butter, and coconut rice :D delicious meal! Had a...” Read full tasting note
    misslena1221 996 tasting notes
  • “My very first order of 52 teas arrived today – Hooray!!! I gasped in excitement when I saw my poor mailman trying to stuff the package through our little mail slot. When I opened the door to...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 353 tasting notes
  • “I'm trying not to get sick so I am just going to keep drinking tea...I'm going to get to 700 in no time at this rate. Of course I've been entirely drinking things that I haven't had before. I...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1212 tasting notes

From 52teas

Have you ever stopped to enjoy the cool quiet of an old cemetery on a fall evening? Ever stayed to watch the evening mist roll in? Maybe stayed overnight on a dare and found yourself waking in the wet grass to the vision of sunlight slipping through the vanishing mist?

Me either, but that’s kind of what this tea reminds me of.

Part Chinese sencha, part Yun Wu (Cloud Mist), with marshmallow root, spearmint and natural marshmallow, spearmint and a hint of malt flavors, this is a smooth, silky experience with the sweet pique of spearmint subdued and made ghost-like–subtle, but haunting.

Our Tea of the Week for the week of August 20, 2012

About 52teas View company

I used 1.5 tablespoons for 375ml of water.

The aroma of the brewed tea is fresh mint.

Complex flavour profile. Sweetness throughout. Mint is in the background. Roasted green tea taste is detectable but not a significant part of the main profile. A slight bitterness in the aftertaste. The marshmallow is a very nice match for the spearmint and gives the mint a softer, sweeter edge. The taste reminds me of fresh morning dew.

Light, fresh, fog-mist-like aftertaste.

Second infusion for 4 minutes still has enough marshmallow-mint flavour to be enjoyable. The roasted green tea taste is also allowed to come through more.

Thank you to Ellyn for this tea!

Indigobloom

I loooove this one!

Raritea

It seems that this one is very popular! I’m so glad that I was able to try it!

This is fantaaaastic. Mint and green tea, one of my favorite combinations. If this is reblended I swear I will get at least 3 bags. I made some of this last night, and then a huge pot this morning. I would consider getting a pound of this, I love it so.

The marshmallow really adds a nice smoothness. The mint is perfect, it doesn’t overpower the green tea. I haven’t had sencha or cloud mist alone (green tea newbie) so I don’t know what each brings but it’s fantastic. Okay, I’m just going to go bask in the glory of my teacup now. Oh, I should also note that the 2nd steeping is very good too.

Azzrian

Okay Frank needs to make this again.

I’ve been drinking comfort teas a lot this past week, and this has become one of them. It’s so sweet but refreshing and light all at the same time. Such a unique tea, I love these mint / marshmallow root blends from 52teas. I think I will go have some more, because it resteeps beautifully.

Courtney

MARSHMALLOW ROOT IN ALL THE THINGS!

Stephanie

Word, I’m appreciating marshmallow root too! Whatever happened to Hyperbole and a Half?

Mitch

mint and marshmallow? that sounds awesome!

jessiwrites

I’ve got lots, Mitch, if you want to swap. I’d gladly take more Candy Cane off your hands. :P

There are two similar teas in my cupboard – this and Shamrock (both by 52teas). Since I love the later tea so much (with an additional vanilla bean mixed into the bag), I wanted to see how Graveyard Mist compared.

In short, I like this one better! No sweetener needed for this one, which I couldn’t say for Shamrock. There was a minty “POW” in the Saint Patty’s Day-blend that still needed to be toned down, even though there’s vanilla to mellow it.

But in Graveyard, there’s a damp, gentle coolness – kind of like what I’d expect fog to taste like, even though it (disappointingly) doesn’t. (Yes, I’ve stood in the fog with my mouth wide open…) I find it pretty awesome that Frank has created that feeling in a tea – it’s perfect for these Midwest October days!

This one’s a re-stocker!

Azzrian

Ah I am the exact opposite although I did like both as well I prefer the shamrock.

Whoa. Like, seriously whoa, man. Of all the creatively named blends I’ve encountered thus far, this is the most aptly named. People, this is marshmallow-spearmint tea, and the one thing I’d really like you to know is that you should consider giving it a try even if you don’t like minty teas. I’m not a fan of minty teas, and I am very much impressed by this blend.

The dry leaf and steeped tea fragrance is perfectly balanced. I can actually smell marshmallow, something that took me completely by surprise. I mean, mint is such a strong thing, y’know? In my experience it’s really good at overpowering everything else. And marshmallow isn’t exactly a strong thing at all. It’s a soft squishy cute unassuming subtle thing. Here, though, it does a great job of standing next to the mint and saying oi, hullo, I’m here!

This balance carries over fabulously into the flavour, and it is here that the blend’s name does such a fantastic job of putting you in the right frame of mind for this tea. The spearmint is like a smooth track down your gullet, paving a path of coolness down the esophagus and into the tummy. On this path glides the nebulous marshmallow cloud, exactly like the tendrils of mist might reach for new ground in a cemetery.

I feel like this would be quite good iced, but as it cooled, there was the slightest, slightest hint of bitterness, so I’m not sure how to cold-brew this properly (actually, I’m not sure how to cold-brew anything properly, yet—I have to look it up). Or maybe that bitterness only appears as the brew goes from hot to cold, and not if it’s cold-brewed to begin with?

Tea amount: 1 tsp/~4.75g
Water amount: 6oz/~175mL
Additives: About ¾ tsp Demerara sugar

Missed out on this one…guess I should try and keep my eye out for a reblend

Serenity

Oh, this note makes me want to drink this tea and read some Poe!

Nik

And listen to Poe, too? =) She’s got this one song that sounds kind of ethereal. I really dig it, but of course I can’t remember its name now. It might just be, “Hello.” I have to hunt it down, I haven’t heard it in years.

Ah, yes, here it is…

I’m not really getting a lot of marshmallows out of this – more like bubblegum? And it feels a little thick in my mouth, although not unpleasantly. It’s minty and relaxing – just what I wanted.

Ozli

Not bitter/astringent to you at that temp/time? zomg, this one killed me the first time I tried it! I think I like it (the 2nd time I made it, it was good) but I still have a hard time convincing myself to make it because of that first disastrous time – like anything oolong, whoops)…

Cavocorax

Oh sorry. I wasn’t paying attention when I did the temperature. It was more like 75 – I used the meat thermometer in the kettle to check it.

And no luck with oolong yet eh? :/

Ozli

I liked Prairie Berry – I think that was oolong? And I liked the Long Life oolong a lot. But I have to work up some bravery to go for the coconut oolong again. I JUST WANT TO LOVE IT SO MUCH!! Oolong PTSD.

Cavocorax

Past Tea Steeping Disaster? It’s a terrible, terrible thing that is. Maybe if you get K to make you a cup? Or leave it alone for a few more months?

2036 tasting notes

TTB-A, sample! This is totally not a tea I would ever seek out, but now that it’s in front of me, I’ll try a sample.

The funny thing about mint and me is that I like mint, but I seemingly never want to eat or drink it. I think because it tends to blast my tastebuds and I think almost nothing besides chocolate goes with mint, so I can’t eat or drink anything else during or after eating/drinking it. But this has such good ratings, and I do like the idea of marshmallows, so I’ll try it. What’s else is a traveling tea box for, anyway?

Steeped, it smells minty, and not unlike the mint julep I just had a couple of days ago. The sip is smooth and, well, very minty. I’m afraid I don’t taste marshmallow in any way, shape, or form, except perhaps in the most abstract way of a candy-like quality. By which I don’t mean actual sweetness, but more if you could somehow divorce candy from sugar. Which I don’t know how you would do. There’s a bit of bitterness creeping into this as it cools a bit which is kind of odd; it’s hiding back behind the sharpness of the mint, but I can feel it on my tongue, and hanging around in the aftertaste.

Well unfortunately you have to put me with those that don’t love this blend. Maybe if I added sugar and bourbon, hah!

i’ve been unlucky with the 52teas i’ve been trying.
until now!
it took me maybe 4 different steeps with 4 different teas before i finally learned that i need to handle 52teas more delicately. i need to make sure the water is not too hot. and i need to steep for 2 min or less. and i need to be a bit more strict about it than i have in the past.
this is a valuable lesson!
as an enthusiastic newb i thought that being ‘close enough’ would be fine. but of course this devil-may-care attitude won’t work with tea.

i definitely like this tea.
it’s brisk.
and i especially like the creepy picture on the label.

Uniquity

I have the same experience with 52Teas. The base teas can be very strong so even though I want to go a little longer for more flavour it isn’t always smart. Keep a tight grip on the temp and time though and you can get a pretty good brew! :) Glad you found your trick!

Shmiracles

it’s with advice from steepsters such as yourself Uniquity that proved the most helpful. now i’m excited to go home and try the previous 12 days of tea and do it right.

CHAroma

It is a great picture!

And thats the end of this bag :( Thanks goodness more is on the way!

I finally got my order, this with 2 others.
I love the smell of the dry leaves. Minty and marshmallowey mmmmm yum!
Eeeee as it steels it smells a little funky.
The taste is a sweet spearmint flavour, with a touch of creamy marshmallow goodness. And then it follows up with a delicious green tea base.
I’m not positive on how I feel about it, entirely. I like it, but its strange.