Walter Bishop Honeybush

Honeybush Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

2 Images

• “Tea for ending the evening in a very long wonderful day. We managed to pick up a watch for both myself and my other half today (we've both been without for 1/2 years); found my wedding band -yay...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4043 tasting notes
  • “*Hooray! my 200th tasting note!* I don’t know who this Walter Bishop character is, but this honeybush is darn delicious! I got this as part of the 52teas order I received yesterday. I was so...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes
  • “So I've tried this tea a few times and liked it but didn't love it. I thought that maybe it was time to go a little mad scientist on this blend! I mean, of any tea to experiment with this has got...” Read full tasting note
    Alphakitty 470 tasting notes
  • “FIRST! haha sorry that was really immature but then Walter was not always mature now was he. Love that character and so sad to see him gone. First nonetheless - ah the benefits of being in the...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes

From 52teas

I’m pretty sure this is the latest I have EVER posted a Tea of the Week in the almost four and a half years I’ve been doing this. (Has it really been that long?)

The last few weeks have been filled with challenges. My label printer bit the dust, as did my workstation office computer with my point-of-sale software and history on it–I’m pretty sure a power surge took out both of them and my groovy Internet radio sad-face. Anyway, all of this happened at the same time I had been planning to upgrade the shopping cart, and of course nothing about upgrading the shopping cart went smoothly (and I’m STILL working on that). Then I managed to source a new label printer through one of my barter network partners (Yay for barter!). The new printer is an enormous industrial printer and it should serve us well for many years to come. So, getting the new printer meant arranging freight shipping and actually moving into an adjacent office space which had more room (It’s a BIG printer). Then I had to figure out how to get the six foot long, 400lb machine up a flight of stairs to my office space. In the middle of all of this, the stress of everything gave me a bit of a panic attack and I wound up in my doctor’s office with a heart-rate of 174. I’ve been trying to take it easy and still get some things accomplished, but I’m afraid I am seriously behind in a lot of areas right now. If you placed an order in the last couple of weeks, I sincerely apologize. We should be getting caught up starting Monday.

I guess it’s a little ironic, with all of this stress that this week’s blend is an homage to the most stress-free character I’ve ever seen. If you are not familiar with strawberry-milkshake-drinking, red-licorice-chewing Walter Bishop, you have been missing out on a great science fiction show. Personally, I think Fringe jumped the shark shortly after it started. I thought they had a great opportunity to have a new show like the X-Files, but in my opinion, they squandered it by focusing entirely on one very convoluted story arc. Having said that, we have several customers who are fans, and our friend LiberTEAs actually approached me about a Fringe-themed blend some time back. So here we have it. Caffeine-free (because I really don’t think Walter Bishop needs caffeine) honeybush blended with real freeze-dried strawberries and organic flavors. This is a delicious treat. I can totally imagine Walter sipping and enjoying it, with or without mind-altering substances added to it.

As with all of our tribute teas, I’m asking intellectual property rights owners to please not sue us, or at the very least, make it a very public lawsuit that will bring us lots more customers–and you know, not end up costing us anything.

Our Tea of the Week for the week of January 14th, 2013

About 52teas View company

Oh I love Fringe. I miss it dearly now that it’s gone.

Thanks to Jackie T for sending me this to try out.

I’m getting the strawberry flavour alongside the honeybush, and it could totally be mind over matter, but this tea is reminding me of Walter. Sigh. Fond memories.

I definitely need to get more honeybush teas under my belt. I’m enjoying all the ones I’ve tried thus far, but I sometimes find it difficult to taste the flavour amidst the strong honeybush base.

Made a pot of this last night. Another solid flavored honeybush from 52Teas! Thanks Jackie T for the sample! If you like honeybush and strawberries this one is a sure bet :)

i love this one so much more than regular old strawberry pie from 52 teas. it’s just much creamier and delicious

Stephanie

I’ve never tried the strawberry pie!

it looks like i might have a bit left in my cupboard. I’ll try and remember to check tonight if you send me a message and I can pop it in the mail for you. I think there was something else that i had you wanted to try to. Just pm me!

Stephanie

That is awfully kind of you :) My post office WAY over charges to send stuff to Canada though and I would want to send you something in return!

I decided that David’s Birthday Cake needed some berry flavour, so I added this. It smells so nice like strawberry. The flavour is creamy berry. Goes very well with the other tea, it’s like having strawberry milkshake cake.

OK I decided that I’ve had enough flavored black teas for today. So I pulled out this one from the box that JackieT sent me.
HHHmmmmmm what do I think… It’s strawberry, but I think of it more as red licorice candy than strawberry milkshake. I think that it is a little bit too sweet, candyish. I wish it were a little bit more tart. I like it, this is more of what I’m in the mood for.
Thanks Jackie for letting me try this.

Another weird one! Good, it was good, and better than I would have thought, since I’m not a huge fan of things flavored like strawberry. Strawberries themselves I love, but most things that are flavored like “strawberry” are just not that great. This was a pleasant surprise, and didn’t have the fake-out flavor I was expecting. It’s not a staple for me, since I like deeper and stronger flavors, but this was a fun treat, and something I would definitely recommend to those who enjoy a nice, smooth, fruity tea. Thanks to T.C. for this! I’m having a ball getting to check out all these great teas.

Oh, and I have to add, I did indeed know who Walter Bishop was/is, my husband’s a fan of Fringe.

Azzrian

I LOVE this stuff!

I’ve actually had this like 4 times without putting it on my tealog :) oops. I really like the smell, it definitely has the strawberry milkshake smell. But when I brew it, it doesn’t really have a milkshake taste. The strawberry is strong, so I like it but not as creamy as I thought it’d be. I get hints of it on some sips, some not at all. I’ve been having it unsweetened no milk, so those will be next on my list but I just haven’t had the time yet. I’ve been taking it to school just as is because it’s so hard to get up in the morning.

Well, honeybush isn’t my favourite thing, I’ve always thought it tasted sour to me, and even the strawberry flavouring couldn’t overcome that bias in this tea. I liked it a little bit, but not enough to ever drink it again.

And that is a good thing! Drinking this tea this morning has confirmed the theory I have had for a while that I have a minor allergic reaction to honeybush every time I drink it. Not bad, just nausea and a headache, but still more than I want from something I consume. This tea will be going onto the swap thread shortly.

awe that makes me so sad. honesybush has some really decent blends, and this one is super YUMMY!

Strawberry ice!! This is what comes to mind when I drink this tea. This tea has the best strawberry flavor, sweet and natural. The crisp, light, bright flavor also evokes the sensation of being served with shaved ice. (This is not to be confused with amusement park slushies that have that icky artificial flavor and aftertaste.) The component I’m missing for it to be a milkshake experience is the cream (or is that more a texture than a flavor?). Doesn’t matter. I really like this tea.

As is typical for me, I brewed this using hot water and then cooled it overnight in the refrigerator and have been enjoying chilled.

Boiling 8 min or more