Raspberry Cream

Black Teas, Organic Flavours
Berry, Cream, Raspberry
Edit tea info Last updated by Pyroxy

2 Images

• “operation 52 tea is back on! This was my first 52 tea from this morning and this is another one i'll be sad when it's gone. I really like this one from frank though i really should try it as a...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5400 tasting notes
  • “The powder room renos are coming along slowly but surely. I put the last coat of paint on the ceiling yesterday, and I was looking forward to getting that first coat onto the walls this morning...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 352 tasting notes
  • “Received my monthly tea package from Frank a few days ago and decided to try some out this morning. I think I'll be mailing 3 of the 4 out without even tasting them first, but for one I don't like...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 556 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! This had really been one of the best 52teas blends I've tried so far. It's just divinely creamy, fruity deliciousness. I'm seriously regretting only getting one bag of this, because I know...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 1088 tasting notes

From 52teas

I was thinking, you always see teas fashioned after strawberries & cream, peaches & cream, even blueberries & cream, but why not raspberries & cream? So, of course, I had to make one. Here’s our premium black teas with real freeze-dried raspberries and organic flavors. And yes, it’s as delicious as it sounds. Hot or iced, it’s just nice.

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of February 11, 2013

About 52teas View company

1.5 tbsp for 375 ml

Mild raspberry flavour. Slight tartness makes the raspberry flavour more authentic. Little to no creaminess. Raspberry flavour balanced with black tea taste.

Even though this tea interested me and I was THIS close to buying it, it didn’t officially make it into my shopping cart. Looking at my tea collection, I have SO many darn teas that I need to drink that I couldn’t justify making another purchase (unless it was a tea that I could not live without). Scheherazade shared a bit of this with me (THANK YOU!) so I will either regret or celebrate my passing up on this tea when it was on sale.

The scent of this tea is nice… a bit of a frilly raspberry, some floral note and a bit of black tea. I’m interested in seeing how this compares to other raspberry blends. Raspberry is such a lovely flavor in tea, but it has to be just right… Sipping.. a nice and light raspberry flavor that slides into into something like vanilla ice cream.. or maybe just an artificial vanilla note. I have to be looking for the creamy aspect as it’s not terribly evident. This blend leaves a strange and unpleasant aftertaste: a bit like stale tea leaves and chemicals.

I am very glad to have tried this blend and am happy I didn’t buy a whole pouch of it. I’ll certainly finish the cup, though.

From the LiberTEAS sampler I bought a while back

Dry, this was much like I was expecting – you could smell the raspberry, but it wasn’t too impressive. Once you start pouring the boiling water over it, though, this mouthwatering right-off-the-vine sort of raspberry flavour comes rolling up at you…I have high hopes for how this one is going to turn out.

As I was waiting for it to cool the aroma kept drawing me back to the mug – it smells fresh and clean, almost like when my aunts used to cook up big batches of raspberry jam – but sadly that first sip didn’t quite impress me. The smell is pungent (and quite delightful) but the flavour seems to play second fiddle to the black tea base.

As it cools, though, the subtle raspberry flavours start to rise again…it’s a steady, calming sort of tea – the black base is rich and flavourful and the raspberry serves as a delightful overlay. It’s well-suited to a lazy evening at home in front of the tv or when you just need a quiet cuppa to chill you out.

As far as black-based teas go, this one is rather delightful. I enjoy how simple and well-executed the flavours are…I’d happily have another few cups of this one.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This is another 52teas blend that took me by surprise. When I first received this blend I was hesitant as I was expecting the typical artificial raspberry flavoring you often get with tea blends – but I should have known Frank has higher standards than most. The dry leaves have a delicate creamy scent which simply brings out the nice fresh raspberry in this blend. The raspberry is a nice tart natural flavor which is supported nicely by both the black tea base and cream-like notes in the background. I am a straight tea drinker and was surprised how lovely this tea was hot but even more impressed with the flavor profile when it was at room temperature/cold. I am not typically one to try black teas cold or cool but due to a combined hectic day at the office and a desperate end of day caffeine fix I decided to down the half cup of cold tea on my desk – and I have to admit this is one tea best enjoyed cold.

I love raspberries, and this is a really nice raspberry black tea. The taste in the cup isn’t as strong or punchy as the smell of raspberry in the dry leaves, but it’s still a nice gentle raspberry against the black tea background. I would have liked the raspberry to be stronger, which seems strange to me, since other folks here seem to be tasting it more than I can. Sigh. :-\

The black tea base was pleasantly not-bitter. I have trouble detecting “cream” flavouring in anything, it seems, so I’m not sure about how people taste that – maybe it comes across as a sort of mellowness. Anyway, overall it was a good mug of tea. Thanks to Starfevre for this!
I added sugar and skim milk.

I like raspberries, but not so much raspberry flavoured things. Mainly because they’re blue for some reason. This tea is thankfully not blue, and even has the actual fruit. Huzzah! The tea itself smells and tastes like a raspberry sorbet. While I still lean towards this fruit paired with chocolate in tea (and in general), I like the creamy flavours.

Flavors: Berry, Cream, Raspberry

This is good hot, but SUPER awesome iced. The black base is really tasty and is a good vehicle for the raspberry, and the cream flavor is also more noticeable when it is cool. As a bonus, raspberry is one of my very favorite fruits.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This was nice, I try to not drink caffeine after 4 pm, but made this at 3:55 so it was legal. :P

Nice raspberry balance, I didn’t get much cream but I still liked it. I think I have about 2 cups left. Thanks to Liberteas for the sample.

In other news, I finished season 1 of a The Returned. I am ready to see season 2! Started Rectify tonight. It’s too early to tell of it will be good but I have heard good things.

So I live in the part of the country where we get about 10 days a year when it is comfortable to open the windows, and I love that. I have a big overstuffed chair, side table, footstool and a 60" TV in the bedroom, where I can relax next to the windows, drink tea and pretend that tomorrow isn’t Monday already. But, first I might have to murder the neighborhood kids that have come out of nowhere to scream their guts out right next to my window. I am turning into the mean old neighbor lady.

TheTeaFairy

Screaming kids and lounging don’t go well together, I’ll give you that.
Never heard of The Returned before reading your posts, is it on Netflix?

Marzipan

Yes, it is in French with English subtitles.

CelebriTEA

I think neighbors with loud kids prefer for them to live outside where they can destroy the peace :-p

Stephanie

It sure was gorgeous outside yesterday!

Marzipan