S'mores Genmaicha

Green Tea
Wood, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Mandy

3 Images

• “Am I the only one that can’t say the word “s’mores” without thinking: “Please sir, Can I have s’more”? I love how dry genmaicha looks so fun with the popped rice, kind of like Lilliputian...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “I totally did not expect this one to go over well in a travel mug... but strangely, it does?! Now that could be because I got my water from Starbucks, piping hot, and had to wait a few min before...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1300 tasting notes
  • “Eh. Kittenna, I'm with you on this one. Anybody want this? The flavour is pretty typical genmaicha- buttery and rich. There's a bit more sweetness than usual but I can't say this tastes like...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 495 tasting notes
  • “I left this one opened to see if that would help with the taste. it didn't. soooo yeah. I think i'll just chalk this one up to an abysmal failure and get on with my day.” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4889 tasting notes

From 52teas

So, you liked the Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha, and you liked the Browncoat (Chocolate) Genmaicha? Well, you’re going to LOVE the S’mores Genmaicha! Toasty genmaicha blended with marshmallow root, roasted cacao nibs and just a tiny touch of smoke from a bit of lapsang souchoung. This is a heavenly treat to warm your bones and soothe your sweet-tooth.

Our Tea of the Week for the week of March 4, 2013

About 52teas View company

Well there wasn’t any question that I would enjoy this one. I love Marshmallow Treat Genmaicha and Browncoat Genmaicha. This was pretty much a combination of the two and yum what a perfect combination it is. This is a very smokey yet sweet genmaicha. Definitely one I will purchase again when it gets reblended. :-)

Day 4- 12 Teas of XMAS

My first thought about this was, “WHY GENMAICHA?”. I love some genmaicha but I just don’t think the nutty, buttery taste I get from it pairs well with s’mores flavors. I get a little bit of chocolate and maybe even some graham cracker taste from this, but the nutty/buttery overpowers it and hides any mention of marshmallow. There’s also a very smoky quality about it…

Hmmmm…. after all the times I have had to put my name on the waiting list for this one (and finally getting in on a re-blend), I am quite disappointed. I do definitely taste the genmaicha, but I can barely taste the S’Mores are of this. You can smell the S’More part in the bag, but once the water hits the tea it’s genmaicha predominantly. Not that I don’t like genmaicha, it’s just that as a flavored tea I was hoping for a more “sweet”/choco/smoky/marshmallow experience. I wish I liked this tea more, because as I said I had to jump through a lot of hoops just to be able to order it.

I finally got around to giving this another go and I’m still not thrilled with it. It’s not an awful-tasting tea – though the scent is off-putting but it’s nothing at all like s’mores in my opinion. At most I get a bit of a bitter cocoa flavour underneath the malty genmaicha – and no marshmallow or graham cracker flavours. I’m glad I just got this as part of the sampler, not a as full pouch.

Not that bad but not that amazingly tasty either – just a little too typically genmaicha and not quite s’mores’y enough in my humble opinion. Yes, its buttery, yes, its a little bit popcorn’y, but marshmallow and chocolatey? No afraid not. I’ll enjoy finishing this packet as a tasty genmaicha but unfortunately it missed the mark for me in s’mores’y goodness

Thanks to Arshness and polar opposite taste buds for this one!
I dd this one latte style as well (1/2 cup water 1/2 cup milk simmered for a bit), and added sugar and this is yummy. I’m mostly getting genmaicha from this but with the milk and sugar and the toasty rice, I do get a toasted marshmallow sense. I wouldn’t say s’more since I don’t notice any cocoa, but that might be because the milk overpowered it. Either way as a latte it’s a nice sweet creamy treat.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Arshness

I knew it. I knew it. I knew it.

Mandy

I really hope it works the other way around too! I sent you a few teas that I wasn’t too fond of, which hopefully means you will be!

Arshness

I’m pretty sure it’s guaranteed :)

TTBC Rd2

The internet ate my first – elegantly crafted – note, so I’m doing this one from memory.

This tea is reminiscent of Marshmallow Treat, but has a bit of added depth from the chocolate bits that I find really enticing. Overall I have to say that I like it a little better than the Marshmallow Treat and it’ll probably replace that blend in future orders.

TTB-C 2-R
I’ve never had a genmaicha before so I really don’t have anything to compare with. I read about the toasted brown rice taste but couldn’t really figure out what that would taste like. It’s a nice taste. I’m not so sure about the S’more flavor. Yes, I pick up a bit of chocolate and maybe a toasted marshmallow from the toasted rice; but not much. I’ll try more genmaicha but I don’t really need anymore of this.

Marzipan

It’s like Super Sugar Crisp or Honey Smacks.

Tea #3 from Traveling Tea Box C Round 2
I’ve never really had much luck with green teas. I generally don’t like them since they taste like stewed veggies/grass clippings/seaweed/etc. But I thought ‘what the heck it’s in the box’ when I grabbed this one out to try. It smelled pretty good in the package at least.
Brewed I was surprised how ‘dirty’ of a tea this was. Lots of dust at the bottom of my mug and even floating along the top. The smell was strongly toasted rice.
Taste wise this was unpleasant for me. Very grassy/veggie to me with an overlay of toasted rice. And the sip was sharp like or gritty from all the little floaties at the top of my cup. I didn’t get more than a few sips in before I had to dump the whole thing.
I guess I’m just a black/oolong type of girl. Lol.

TTBC2 #8

S’mores? Where are you???

This tastes like genmaicha. I have nothing against genmaicha, I actually like it a lot. So I am sipping on it and would be fairly content except I seem to have lost my s’mores. Like… ALL of them. Where the hell could they be at this hour? Not at the bar – too early.

ANYWAY, this tea is really good if it is considered as nothing more than genmaicha. When it was warm, it smelled a lot like caramel popcorn. I let it cool down a little hoping it would start tasting like something other than green tea with roasted rice but it doesn’t.

The s’mores must have evaporated.