Red Velvet Cake Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

2 Images

• “I ordered 2 bags of this and only 1 came in the mail :( Anyway, I tried it this morning, I love to keep flavored mate on hand for waking up in the morning and I'm obsessed with dessert teas so...” Read full tasting note
    Jaxx2307 156 tasting notes
  • “Mmmm...mate! This is the second Mate I’ve ever had and it’s another hit for me. I love the roastiness in the taste, but it’s not something that I’d drink everyday - it would take away from the...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes
  • “Disappointed. I brought this with me when I returned to work yesterday, as I got kind of used to my morning mate, but wanted to try another flavour before opening my second packet of Malted...” Read full tasting note
    Scheherazade 680 tasting notes
  • “*Tea #4 from Another TTB* Red velvet? Not so much? Chocolate mate? Yes ma'am! While it didn't to me resemble anything of the sort of a red velvet cake (me being a baker, I was really let down) but...” Read full tasting note
    Mnoelle225 206 tasting notes

From 52teas

Our Malted ChocoMate has been one of our most popular blends over the years, well, at least it WAS until this! Here’s roasted yerba mate blended with organic cacao nibs and organic flavors. It’s chocolate and cream cheese frosting and cake in a cup. I thought about adding some red food coloring, but I think you will agree that even if it isn’t red, it’s delicious.

Our Tea of the Week for the week of March 11, 2013

About 52teas View company

You know, I am NOT down on 52teas at ALL. Graveyard Mist is my #1 favorite tea. I adore Shamrock, Butterbeer, and Spiced Brandy Shou Mei, to name a few. I just ordered two packages of White Christmas. But here is another one which disappointed me, hopefully much to the delight of Steepster traders everywhere. ;-)

The first two cups I had, I didn’t get Red Velvet anything. In fact, I thought that the mate’ smelled a little unpleasant, and I like mate’s. Then I put the rest in a Thermos and came back to it later when I was a little more awake. This time I did get Red Velvet Cake in the aroma of the tea and even in the flavor, but it was just there. It wasn’t super duper creamy extra delicious or anything. It was just OK for me. And I have limited shelf space.

Tea #32 from Another Traveling Tea Box

I thought this tea was a bit disappointing, granted I’m not a mate fan to begin with, but I didn’t think there was anything remotely cake flavored about it. As the tea cooled to room temperature I was able to better pick up the sweetness and the chocolate, but still no cake. For me, this just ended up being another 52teas blend that sounds better than it tasted.

Even if this one let me down I am really excited to try the two teas I ordered last week. They came in the mail and I’ve been dying to break into them once the TTB leaves my hands next week.

Thank you GiggleGoddess for the swap! This one is VERY similar to the malted choco-mate. Honestly, I’d have to do a side by side tasting to be able to tell them apart probably? Just really strong chocolate and roasted mate flavor from both of them. Having said that, I DO enjoy them both! :)

I just received this tea in the mail this morning and was very excited because I adore red velvet cake! I am not disappointed… this one is smooth and the flavors harmonize well together so that no one essence stands out more than the other. A guilt free pleasure in a cup!

So, I am wondering if I just don’t get this tea. I don’t really taste cake or red velvet cake. I added a tsp of sugar and what it really tastes like to me is the Thai tea served in Thai restaurants. I can’t get past that thought to taste the more subtle parts of the flavor. I think I need to try this again and steep it for less time to give a chance to be what it is supposed to be.

Another tasty treat from 52Teas!

I can definitely taste the chocolate cakey-ness. I think with a little sweetener it would be spot on:)

I wanted to try this tea after I saw it released a few months ago and finally got the opportunity to try it. Meh… I am underwhelmed. The tea itself is pleasant enough, but I do not get red velvet cake at all. I don’t really get much chocolate either. Even with the addition of cream and sweetener, it doesn’t help very much. I’m happy I got to try it out though! Thanks CK!

I recieved a sample of this from Allie in our Mystery swap and for some reason didn’t write about it when I was drinking this a week or so ago.

This was an okay tea. I am not a huge fan of flavored Mate’s so I wasn’t expecting much. It was a warming cup. It was a dark sugary taste. There wasn’t much chocolate or cake favor for me just a toasty mate. I enjoyed what I had, but wouldn’t need to purchase this again.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I hadn’t had a Mate tea before so was’t sure what to expect. It has a roasty, warm taste… I’m not really getting the red velvet cake part. Maybe if I think about what’s supposed to taste like I think I can taste chocolate. Maybe I need to steep longer.