Red Velvet Cake Mate

Cake, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

2 Images

From 52teas

Our Malted ChocoMate has been one of our most popular blends over the years, well, at least it WAS until this! Here’s roasted yerba mate blended with organic cacao nibs and organic flavors. It’s chocolate and cream cheese frosting and cake in a cup. I thought about adding some red food coloring, but I think you will agree that even if it isn’t red, it’s delicious.

Our Tea of the Week for the week of March 11, 2013

About 52teas View company

Red velvet cake freaks me out a little. It is the food coloring. There is just so much Red 40 or whatever it is. It has inspired me to someday make a cake for a party that has so much powdered beet in it that what goes in red comes out red on the other side. It would have to be a dark chocolate cake, so no one suspected anything from a bright magenta cake. /irrelevant tangent

The tea! I can taste the mate base. I haven’t had enough mate to really know how to describe the taste. I can taste a hint of chocolate and something else that I can’t quite identify. Is it a cakiness? Cream? Either way, this is a nice mate with a touch of smokiness.

I recieved a sample of this from Allie in our Mystery swap and for some reason didn’t write about it when I was drinking this a week or so ago.

This was an okay tea. I am not a huge fan of flavored Mate’s so I wasn’t expecting much. It was a warming cup. It was a dark sugary taste. There wasn’t much chocolate or cake favor for me just a toasty mate. I enjoyed what I had, but wouldn’t need to purchase this again.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I hadn’t had a Mate tea before so was’t sure what to expect. It has a roasty, warm taste… I’m not really getting the red velvet cake part. Maybe if I think about what’s supposed to taste like I think I can taste chocolate. Maybe I need to steep longer.