Pineapple Bacon Rooibos

Fruit Rooibos Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

2 Images

• “I am finally trying this sample sent to me from *Dexter3657*. This is definitely a strange combination to consider drinking but I suppose it is worth a try. It has only taken me a few weeks to...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1847 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown. I had this from *Dexter3657* a while back and finished it today. Not because she sent me so much but I didn't care for the first cup and then I took the left of the sample with me to work...” Read full tasting note
    Littleelle 263 tasting notes
  • “I could do without this in my life. Tastes and smells a bit like bubblegum. Salty, smokey bacon pops into the finish and aftertaste, but the cup has more of a candied citrus thing going for...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 489 tasting notes
  • “Ok so after a lot of messing around with this tea I think I can rate it. When I first saw this I was pretty much like, "PINAPPLE AND BACON!!!! YESTH!!!!"Plus I have been wanting a non-caffeinated...” Read full tasting note
    Ze_Tea4 119 tasting notes

From 52teas

Did you think we were done playing with bacon teas?

So did I. But check this out: I was thinking about how much I enjoy a Hawaiian pizza or just a nice ham with a pineapple glaze and nice juicy pineapple rings baked on it… My wife is of the opinion that meat and fruit should not be mixed, but… well, nobody’s perfect, right? Anyway, I was thinking that if ham and pineapple is good, pineapple and BACON would be even better. And when I was thinking about what base tea to use, it occured to me that the woodiness that I personally somewhat dislike about rooibos might go well with pineapple and bacon, and oh boy does it! Juicy pineapple, salty bacon and refreshing rooibos are an amazing combination. Not to mention that it’s a guilt-free indulgence.

Our Tea of the Week for the week of March 18, 2013

About 52teas View company

Not an official review, just the first time I am trying this intriguing blend that CrowKettle sent me. Lots of pineapple smell…not much bacon aroma, which was fine, since I was eating a piece of bacon, while making this. There is just the slightest of salty aromas…definitely from the bacon bits.

Hmm, thought I’d typed this in already when I had it a couple days ago at work but I guess not. This tea tastes like it’s name. The dry leaf smelled mostly like pineapple gum but upon tasting it there’s a savory taste of bacon and sweet pineapple. It’s definitely something to try but not something I can drink everyday.

I got several 52Teas samples to try from my mystery swap with CK. This was one of them. I wasn’t keen on trying this one any time soon, but my husband asked me to brew it because he was hoping for some bacon. Yuck, bacon. I don’t care much for bacon (or for pineapple). I especially don’t like pizza, but the funniest thing is, if I do have to eat a pizza, I’d take a canadian bacon and pineapple (I don’t understand me either).

I brewed a small sample cup of this for both Eric and I to try. Eric likes pineapple, but he was really looking forward to a bacon flavor, which neither of us could detect, so he gave it a low rating.

The pineapple in this is strong and the rooibos doesn’t come through very heavy IMO. I don’t like pineapple after taste, but I could drink it if I had to.

This tea was doomed from the start for me, combining two foods that I don’t particularly like, but I had to try it anyway. I see no reason why someone who loves pineapple wouldn’t like it, but if your looking for bacon tea, don’t look here.

OK this is my first 52Tea experience. Has to start with something that was “out there”. In the package it smelt like salty pineapple. Once steeped, hmmm not sure, but not Hawaiian pizza.

I don’t hate this, it’s strange, it’s odd, it’s everything I expected my first Frank blend experience to be. I got more bacon than one of the other reviewers. I didn’t add any salt, I don’t think I want MORE bacon flavor. I found the pineapple came forward more as it cooled and the bacon took more of a backseat/aftertaste. I’m not sure I’m experienced enough to pick out the rooibos amongst all that is going on. I’ve never had a fruit rooibos, I usually choose something more chocolate or caramel.

I think this might be something that grows on you. Might need to try it again another day and see how that goes. For right now I’m giving it a not bad taste, thumbs up for originality, and a way to go for actually pulling off a tea that tastes like pineapple and bacon.

I wanted to try this one, because it sounded interesting. I love pineapple and bacon and was curious as to how that would translate into tea. The dry scent is strong with pineapple with a hint of smoke. Unfortunately, this one does not sit well with my stomach. I’m getting a chemically pineapple flavor with some smoke. I almost get a strange bubblegum aftertaste from it. I cannot finish the cup. Others may like it better than I did. At least now my curiosity has now been satisfied. Again, thank you CK!

First tea from Another Traveling Tea Box?!?!?!

Blech! I had higher hopes for this, but 2 sips, and I just can’t finish it.

4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

How strange for a tea! I can pick out a light bacon and pineapple flavor over a woodsy rooibos base. It reminds me of eating pizza as a kid, before I swore off pig. There is also an odd bubble gum aftertaste that I have picked up in 52’s Breakfast Smoothie. It is odd because I wouldn’t expect it with bacon and pineapple! This is interesting and I’m glad I tried it, but I think this flavor combo is a little too out there for me.

Memily

Omg I need this tea :|

This sample from VariaTEA is from ages ago, and I’ve really been putting off trying it since I didn’t care for the Maple Bacon from 52Teas a whole lot; however tonight something inside me just went “well, just FUCK IT – we’re pulling this out and you’re trying it; personal taste be damned”. So, that’s what I did.

Dry, I smell mostly a fain bacon/savory smell and not much else – and then sort of right up until the last thirty second or so of steeping this, the aroma was this mostly savory and sort of unappealing bacon sent and I was sure I was going to hate this. Those last 30 seconds, though? Suddenly this full, vibrant and INTENSE pineapple smell emerged and I instantly went “Oh!” – in the best way possible.

Drinking it now? I have to say, this tea is giving me the fireworks that I’ve been looking for all day. It’s a flavour explosion in my mouth and I’m getting the most well balanced and delicious pineapple/bacon flavour EVER. It honestly reminds me a little bit of A) the pineapple flavour in Butiki blends, which I adore and B) my favourite Pineapple and Cheese pizza from Boston Pizza.

The sweet/savory just works SO FUCKING WELL! I’m surprised in the most brilliant way, and now I’m both sad I waited so long to try it and sad that I only have a few more cups worth left. I want a full pouch of this! Seriously; it’s pineapple (my favourite fruit) done in a way that no other pineapple tea in my cupboard can compare to.

Yum! What a delightful, shocking surprise!

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Oh man, now I really want Pineapple Bacon Pizza…I never get a chance to get it because no one else in the house likes it :(

MzPriss

How can anyone not like a pizza with bacon on it?

VariaTEA

Yay! I am glad you liked it :). This came to me through Dexter3657 in one of my very first swaps so really she is the one you should thank :).

Also, I am a fan of pineapple on pizza too but when I go to Boston Pizza, it’s their Spicy Pierogi all the way :P

Suziqzer

I can do bacon on pizza, but not pineapple… Just weird having sweet on pizza. Now combining them in a tea.. who knows, might be a whole nother experience.

Roswell Strange

I haven’t had bacon in, uh, over 10 years? Which is more than half my lifetime, heh…

Fjellrev

Now I just simply want bacon.

Suziqzer

What ? No bacon for 10 years? Wow! .. We had some this morning. Of course, you have to take into account that I grew up on a hog(pig) farm in Indiana.

Roswell Strange

I’ve been a vegetarian for the last ten years, though (52Teas uses fake bacon so it’s Veggie friendly) – so I can’t even recall what “real bacon” tastes like. I also don’t eat vegetarian bacon either; not regularly, anyway.

Suziqzer

Good for you! I think it’s such a healthy lifestyle. Not one I am inclined to try being where I live and with my upbringing. I know people do it for varying reasons, and I’m not one to argue a point either way. I think it could be difficult depending on where you live- protein alternatives have gotten much better in recent years though.

I have Dexter3657 to… thank for this. ;)

I decided to brew it up now because 1) I’m feeling awful and will be sticking with non-caffeinated teas tonight and 2) I am starting a soup with bacon (it will have loads of veg and homemade chicken stock). Bacon goes with bacon, right?

Umm, wrong. Oh, the smell of the tea is not making me happy. It’s making me extremely apprehensive. The smell of the bacon on the stove, however, is making me look forward to my soup.

So I tried the tea hot, and I tried the tea cooled somewhat. It smelled bacon-ish, but tasted like woody dirty sour socks.

It might just be me today – I have another cup worth that I’m debating on trying in the future, or maybe giving away to someone.

(1.5 tsp/12 oz)

Dexter

LOL I seem to remember you asking if it was good – I don’t think I promised good, I think I promised unusual. I actually think this is better cooler water shorter steeps. 90C 3 min – something like that – a hint of salt will bring out the bacon or a hint of sweet will bring out the pineapple – or pass it on…. :))

OMGsrsly

You only promised unusual. :D I’ll try that steep, on a night I’m not cooking real bacon!

MissB

The bacon flavoring smell is definitely offputting.

Bleechhhhhhhh gross. This one smelled awful while being brewed up, and I only managed a single teensy sip (was gross), before it ended up down the drain. I don’t know… I’m thinking bacon in teas may not be for me, and pineapple can be pretty hit or miss. Combine with rooibos, and…. yeah no.

Thanks for passing some on, Roswell Strange!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Stoo

Wow. That sounds like Nightmare On Tea Street!