Pineapple Bacon Rooibos

Meat, Pineapple, Smoked, Broth, Fruity, Salty, Sweet, Tangy, Umami
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

3 Images

• “I am finally trying this sample sent to me from Dexter3657. This is definitely a strange combination to consider drinking but I suppose it is worth a try. It has only taken me a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 3002 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown. I had this from Dexter3657 a while back and finished it today. Not because she sent me so much but I didn’t care for the first cup and then I took the left of the...” Read full tasting note
    Littleelle 283 tasting notes
  • “I could do without this in my life. Tastes and smells a bit like bubblegum. Salty, smokey bacon pops into the finish and aftertaste, but the cup has more of a candied citrus thing going for it. Not...” Read full tasting note
    CrowKettle 637 tasting notes
  • “Ok so after a lot of messing around with this tea I think I can rate it. When I first saw this I was pretty much like, “PINAPPLE AND Read full tasting note
    Ze_Tea4 123 tasting notes

From 52teas

This tea was reblended by request from one of our start-up Kickstarter contributors. I started with organic red rooibos and added bacon and pineapple flavors. I also added freeze-dried pineapple bits and vegan bacon bits – this blend is 100% vegan but I can’t be 100% certain that it’s 100% gluten-free. I’m not sure if the vegan bacon bits are gluten-free and the packaging didn’t assist me in finding out. The company that I ordered them from wasn’t any more helpful. (Sorry!) So if you’re one who needs to avoid gluten, I wouldn’t recommend this tea. I do take very special care to avoid cross-contamination – so the other teas are fine – but this tea, I’m not 100% sure of it’s gluten-free-ness.

The original description of this tea goes like this:

Did you think we were done playing with bacon teas?

So did I. But check this out: I was thinking about how much I enjoy a Hawaiian pizza or just a nice ham with a pineapple glaze and nice juicy pineapple rings baked on it… My wife is of the opinion that meat and fruit should not be mixed, but… well, nobody’s perfect, right? Anyway, I was thinking that if ham and pineapple is good, pineapple and BACON would be even better. And when I was thinking about what base tea to use, it occured to me that the woodiness that I personally somewhat dislike about rooibos might go well with pineapple and bacon, and oh boy does it! Juicy pineapple, salty bacon and refreshing rooibos are an amazing combination. Not to mention that it’s a guilt-free indulgence.

I stuck pretty close to the recipe for this blend. After reading my review of the original blend – read it here – I seem to recall the original blend tasting a bit too sweet, kinda like pineapple bubblegum with bacon flavoring which is just a little bit weird. Fortunately, I’m not really tasting that now which I’m grateful for. I taste pineapple – it’s the strongest flavor component and I taste bacon. The bacon flavoring does lend a certain ‘salty’ factor to this blend but you might want to add just a teeny pinch of salt to the cup to enhance that salty bacon flavor. But I don’t taste “bubblegum” or that sweet, sugary note that a ‘bubblegum’ description would seem to imply.

I am enjoying the balance of flavors better here than I think I did with the original blend – so overall, it’s a win for me. And hopefully our contributor enjoys it too and it’s a win for her!

organic ingredients: rooibos, freeze-dried pineapple, vegan bacon bits and natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

Not an official review, just the first time I am trying this intriguing blend that CrowKettle sent me. Lots of pineapple smell…not much bacon aroma, which was fine, since I was eating a piece of bacon, while making this. There is just the slightest of salty aromas…definitely from the bacon bits.

Hmm, thought I’d typed this in already when I had it a couple days ago at work but I guess not. This tea tastes like it’s name. The dry leaf smelled mostly like pineapple gum but upon tasting it there’s a savory taste of bacon and sweet pineapple. It’s definitely something to try but not something I can drink everyday.

I got several 52Teas samples to try from my mystery swap with CK. This was one of them. I wasn’t keen on trying this one any time soon, but my husband asked me to brew it because he was hoping for some bacon. Yuck, bacon. I don’t care much for bacon (or for pineapple). I especially don’t like pizza, but the funniest thing is, if I do have to eat a pizza, I’d take a canadian bacon and pineapple (I don’t understand me either).

I brewed a small sample cup of this for both Eric and I to try. Eric likes pineapple, but he was really looking forward to a bacon flavor, which neither of us could detect, so he gave it a low rating.

The pineapple in this is strong and the rooibos doesn’t come through very heavy IMO. I don’t like pineapple after taste, but I could drink it if I had to.

This tea was doomed from the start for me, combining two foods that I don’t particularly like, but I had to try it anyway. I see no reason why someone who loves pineapple wouldn’t like it, but if your looking for bacon tea, don’t look here.

OK this is my first 52Tea experience. Has to start with something that was “out there”. In the package it smelt like salty pineapple. Once steeped, hmmm not sure, but not Hawaiian pizza.

I don’t hate this, it’s strange, it’s odd, it’s everything I expected my first Frank blend experience to be. I got more bacon than one of the other reviewers. I didn’t add any salt, I don’t think I want MORE bacon flavor. I found the pineapple came forward more as it cooled and the bacon took more of a backseat/aftertaste. I’m not sure I’m experienced enough to pick out the rooibos amongst all that is going on. I’ve never had a fruit rooibos, I usually choose something more chocolate or caramel.

I think this might be something that grows on you. Might need to try it again another day and see how that goes. For right now I’m giving it a not bad taste, thumbs up for originality, and a way to go for actually pulling off a tea that tastes like pineapple and bacon.

I wanted to try this one, because it sounded interesting. I love pineapple and bacon and was curious as to how that would translate into tea. The dry scent is strong with pineapple with a hint of smoke. Unfortunately, this one does not sit well with my stomach. I’m getting a chemically pineapple flavor with some smoke. I almost get a strange bubblegum aftertaste from it. I cannot finish the cup. Others may like it better than I did. At least now my curiosity has now been satisfied. Again, thank you CK!

Thanks to SuperStarling! for this sample.

So, uh. Whoa. This tea. The smell is that meaty smokiness of bacon bits with a hint of pineapple. It didn’t completely put me off but it did make me pause to wonder what I would actually drink as long as someone called it tea.

I brewed this up and let it cool for a few minutes, per package suggestions. The scent mellows a little. The flavor isn’t quite as strong of bacon (facon) as I anticipated. There is actually more pineapple flavor than I expected. Having said that, I’m not sure if it would be better or worse to be just straight up bacon. I’m very confused by all of this. I don’t like it really but I don’t HATE it. I actually think the execution of pineapple bacon was decently done considering it is tea… but I guess it just isn’t for me? I am actually getting that familiar tangy bite-y tingle from the pineapple’s bromelain so that is interesting.

To recap, slightly smokey bacon on the back end, pineapple on the front end. Overall, not for me. I thought I would enjoy it since I like bacon and pineapple pizza but let’s face it. Tea and pizza are like polar opposite mediums for pineapple and bacon.

Also, I’m surprised bacon isn’t a pre-existing flavor profile that we are able to choose. Is it weird that I am surprised that isn’t an option? I probably should be surprised if it WERE an option. This tea has me not knowing what to believe anymore.

Flavors: Meat, Pineapple, Smoked

Super Starling!

I love how part of our friendship is me going “this tea is really weird. Put it in your face and report back.”

mtchyg

Haha. The tea equivalent of “This smells awful. Smell it.”

Super Starling!

I have a little brother; this is the only way I know how to be.

mtchyg

I just do it because I like people sharing in my misery. Not that this was misery but.. you get it.

I’m not much of a facon person, but I think this tea is fascinating. This facon/rooibos/pineapple tea is totally unlike anything I’ve ever had. It’s juicy, salty, and throaty. It’s lush.

It’s also a little bit peculiar.

For the full review, click here:

Trying it tomorrow!

Mookit

Facon= fake bacon?

By the way I perused your graphics blog a few days ago and took your suggestion to try Lady Dynamite. It’s absolutely brilliant – exactly my style of humour. So thanks!

Super Starling!

Facon is fake bacon, yep. I never much liked real bacon, so I am not riding the Facon Train.
Lady Dynamite is the bomb. I’m so glad you love it. Her talking pug is my favorite character of all time.

Yep – I reblended it.

Believe it or not, it was one that was requested by one of our start-up Kickstarter contributors. I was actually kind of surprised as this didn’t seem to be an overall favorite here on Steepster and it really wasn’t one of my personal faves either.

But OK. I aim to please and as I said in the start-up Kickstarter – “YOU choose the reblend” and that’s what this backer did so I reblended it for her. I hope she enjoys it!

As I sit here and sip on this blend – I can honestly say that I’m enjoying this more than I enjoyed the original blend. I didn’t really recall the flavor of the original blend so I had to re-read my review of that tea – http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/05/05/pineapple-bacon-flavored-rooibos-blend-from-52teas/ – and back then I seemed to get a pineapple bubblegum with bacon mid-notes. Well, I’m not getting a lot of bubblegum this time. The pineapple is prominent, it’s sweet but not overly sugar-y sweet. The bacon hits at about mid-sip with a somewhat salty, savory note. After the first few sips, I did add just a pinch of salt to enhance the salty. There was a certain saltiness to the cup prior to the salt addition but I found that the wee bit of salt improved upon that. A nice balance between salty/savory and sweet/tangy.

It’s tasty, it’s interesting, but it’s still not my favorite – they can’t all be my favorite, can they? If you liked the first batch of this – I think you’ll like this. Or get some for curiosity’s sake because not everyone out there is making bacon flavored teas. Or just get some because you don’t want me to have an overstock of pineapple bacon tea. :)

Roswell Strange

Very excited! ^^

First tea from Another Traveling Tea Box?!?!?!

Blech! I had higher hopes for this, but 2 sips, and I just can’t finish it.

4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

How strange for a tea! I can pick out a light bacon and pineapple flavor over a woodsy rooibos base. It reminds me of eating pizza as a kid, before I swore off pig. There is also an odd bubble gum aftertaste that I have picked up in 52’s Breakfast Smoothie. It is odd because I wouldn’t expect it with bacon and pineapple! This is interesting and I’m glad I tried it, but I think this flavor combo is a little too out there for me.

Memily