Lemon Meringue Chai

Black Chai Fruit Blend
Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cream, Ginger, Lemon, Meringue, Vanilla, Lemon Zest, Cloves, Nutmeg
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

2 Images

From 52teas

Big week this week at Zoomdweebie’s. I’m making up for some lost time last month with tax season and all of that yuckiness. We’ve got this awesome new Tea of the Week and a number of reblends/inventory corrections and later this week TWO new VIT blends!

As for this blend, well, it’s just a bit of heaven in a cup. Our house blended masala chai with lemon myrtle, lemon peel, marshmallow root and all organic flavors. It’s chai with a sweet pucker.

Anybody who thinks chai is just for wintertime hasn’t had a chai like this before. I’m pretty sure this will be a major crowd pleaser. Make it as an iced tea latte for a real special treat.

Get yours today at zoomdweebies.com!

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of April 29, 2013

About 52teas View company

1939 tasting notes

SSTTB: Pick #16

Cold brewed this one and took it to work because I wanted to try it but wasn’t really digging the idea of having it hot.

It’s pretty good overall, I can see why some people like it so much. The lemon flavour in this is definitely strong, but in a sweet “lemon pudding” or pie filling like way. The spice in this really makes it pop too, and sort of exaggerates the sweetness of it. I can totally see where the “meringue” comes into play. It’s just creamy and good overall. The black base is totally far in the background and not getting in the way at all.

So I’m definitely thrilled I tried it and liked it. I wonder if this is the original blend or from the reblended batch? I remember this being on my wishlist months ago but removing it when it seemed really unlikely I wouldn’t have the chance to try it.

A nice dessert Chai overall; wouldn’t buy a whole pouch of it (so rarely do I crave Chai) but I’d drink it again!

Flavors: Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cream, Ginger, Lemon, Meringue, Vanilla

MissB

If it’s what I put in the SSTTB, it’s the most recent reblend. I so wish I got what you did out of it!

Frank always comes up with such interesting and innovative tea blends – for instance I’ve certainly never seen a lemon-flavoured chai put out by any other tea company! It certainly is lemony and the chai spices make a good counterpoint to the sour citrus. I’m not really getting the ‘meringue’ part though as the marshmallow root just doesn’t really come through and there’s not very much sweetness. However this is without anything added to the tea – I’ll experiment with adding milk and sweetener to see if that changes things. I’ve found that milk in particular can radically alter the flavours of some black teas.

It’s lemon, it’s spice, but it’s not for me. Too lemon, strange spice and not a meringue in sight.
This isn’t something I would have chosen for myself, but when the opportunity came up to try it, well you just have to try some of the ones that you wouldn’t pick for yourself. You never know what gems you might find.

SSTTB

Amariel

This one seems to be really finicky. I, too, really wanted to like it.

T&C TTB#20: This is going to drive me crazy. I am absolutely positive I bought a pack of this back when. I have been tearing the house apart trying to find it for months – I never ever tried it and I lost it! This is sweet and creamy lemon with cardamom. Maybe a bit of ginger the flavor but I don’t get much cinnamon. The spices seem to be blended well here and the lemon adds a brightness that is appealing.

Made with 3 oz. half-and-half and about a tablespoon of sugar.

CelebriTEA

Mmmm…this sounds crazy good!

1922 tasting notes

SSTTB

The spices are nicely balanced but something about the combination of lemon and spice is bordering on cleaning supplies to me. And there is no meringue to be found. Oh well, at least this is one more tea I can cross off my list.

Good lemony flavour in the background which is a bit drowned out by the spices. Good combination with the black tea base.

Thanks to Kittenna for sharing with me!

Thank you to ashleyelizabeth for this one! Been wanting to try it for a while. :)

The loose leaf smells kind of medicinal… uh-oh. There’s lemon myrtle in here. Well, we’ll see…

I steeped it for a pretty short amount of time, ‘cause I know Frank’s flavored blacks tend to do better that way. The aroma is mostly of cardamom and citrus, with some solid floral notes. Hmm. I’m not sure I’ll like a flowery chai. The very idea is strange, at best.

I added milk, because that’s what you do with chai, and some sugar. It smells a lot more like lemon meringue pie now, for sure! First sip… mmm, interesting. The front of the sip definitely tastes like lemon meringue—sweet and lightly creamy (thank you, marshmallow root), somewhat lemony (although I like my lemon curd a bit more tart than that). The spices are filling the role of the pie crust flavor, bakey and warm… but then the aftertaste is ALL floral. That lemon myrtle… dang, this was almost really good. I just can’t get around it. This tea would be much better off without it. :/

I received this one from CharlotteZero in our recent swap.
I’m not sure why I wanted to try this, I don’t like chai, and for the most part, I don’t like lemon in my tea. I also don’t like Frank’s spicey teas as I find they have a bit of a medicinal taste to them. It must have been the merinque that intrigued me, as I do like creamy lemon.
This isn’t half bad. It’s a little creamy, and the lemon is more apparent than the chai which I like. I can detect that medicinal taste but only faintly. It also holds up well with stevia and skim milk, so I will be finishing off the bag of this while I power through this diet.
Thanks CharlotteZero!

ashleyelizabeth

Are you kidding me??? After a year of being annoyed because I couldn’t figure out how to bold text in steepster, I finally stumbled upon it by accident. I thought adding an asterisk would make the name more noticeable, and voila! I thought that ctrl B made things bold and it wouldn’t work! I thought that maybe IE10 wouldn’t support that shortkey or something. Well I’m glad I finally figured it out, sorta!

mmm you should have just asked lol there are a few discussion posts on the subject.

ashleyelizabeth

I think I mentioned it in a couple of tasting notes but no one said anything. I was actually thinking of looking for a discussion post as I was writing this, it was driving me nuts!

haha i must have missed seeing that. oopsy!

KallieBoo was so nice to share some of her 52 Teas with me. This was one that she allowed me to try. Thank you!

I had been eyeing this one as I love both lemon and chai. I thought this would be a great combination. It was a nicely spiced chai, but I missed any hint of lemon in the mix. I am glad I got to try some of this. I may have to keep an eye out for some more 52 chai’s. The spice seemed to cover up what I dislike about the black base.

Ah, this is most definitely the one I’m getting something bitter and astringent out of – which saddens me, because I really wanted to love this! I mean, I bought a pound of Lemon Meringue tea from Tealish I love it so much, and I’ve been on a huge chai kick… so you’d think I’d love this.

My guess is that I did something wrong with the brewing of it – perhaps I took out this teabag at 3 minutes instead of 2, mixing up the two teas I was brewing concurrently. That’s the only thing that makes sense… it’s just brewed too long. Or, that’s my hope. I do get chai (smooth chai, zero sharpness) as well as meringue and lemon zest… it’s just that darn bitterness/astringency that’s killing it for me.

Flavors: Lemon Zest

TheTeaFairy

Whoa! A pound is a whole lot of tea! Tealish must be really delish :-)

MissB

The Lemon Meringue is… well really good. ;)