Gingerbread Coffeecake

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “I tried this again tonight and added a little sugar to it...SO MUCH BETTER! i don't like to add anything to my teas but man, the contrast between this one straight and this one with sugar is...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4704 tasting notes
  • “When I saw this tea I knew I would have to try it - and I'm also the first person to review it - huzzah! I just got it today and couldn't wait to try it. The dry tea smells good, like a gingery...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2307 tasting notes
  • “I got this in the mail today and made a cup as my evening green. The first thing that struck me big time was the ginger. YUM!!! I don't know about cake, but it's a great green ginger tea. With...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “I made this for the first time this morning, but I wasn’t quite awake when I made it and I assumed that it was a black tea and overheated the water. I don’t believe I’ve ever had ginger and...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes

From 52teas

Our cakey- and gingerbread-flavors were getting mixed reviews in our black tea blends, so I decided to give it a try with a lighter base, and oh man, did that do the trick!

Here’s a light, refreshing Young Hyson green tea base blended with cinnamon, ginger and organic flavors like gingerbread, cake batter, butter and brown sugar.

I wouldn’t normally think to pair something heavy like cake flavors with a green tea, but I’m sure glad I gave it a shot. This tea is delicious! But then, who doesn’t like coffeecake? Even if it does have “coffee” in the name. (I never touch the stuff, despite lots of requests from people for us to blend flavored coffees like we do teas. I would love to do it, but I just can’t stand the taste of coffee and I wouldn’t want to create products I couldn’t sample first and determine whether or not they are any good.)

Anyway, THIS is a thing of beauty. I sure hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

Get yours today at Zoomdweebies.com!
Just $8.99 including shipping to the US!

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of
June 17, 2013

About 52teas View company

So I have to caveat this tasting note with the fact that any tea that contains ginger, cinnamon or a combination thereof, I am a sucker for. Add to the mix that this is a 52teas blend and I know I am in for a treat and will buy insane quantities of it. This is no exception to this rule. The choice of green tea base is very smart as the strong pungent base holds up against the bold ginger and cinnamon spices in the blend. What you end up with is a wonderfully balanced tea that tastes like liquid gingerbread – and I mean the REAL gingerbread flavor. If you enjoy spice teas this will be one you will continue to go back to as you will appreciate it more with each subsequent cup.

This reminded me so much of chai. It was yummy, but to me did not really embody the “cake” aspect of things. I imagine a little sweetener might solve that. I didn’t expect the green tea to play nearly as well with the flavors as it did, this is normally a flavor I would expect in a black tea, or maybe a nutty oolong.

I was hoping for a variation on the Gingerbread Chai from a year or so back, and this didn’t quite deliver. It doesn’t have the spiciness of the chai. However, the sweet coffee cake flavor is delightfully apparent when the tea is not oversteeped, and there is a hint of spiciness. I recommend adding a little brown sugar — maybe next time I’ll be adventurous and try molasses. I would definitely recommend green tea steeping temps for this one (175F) to bring out the delicate flavors.