Razzleberry Genmaicha

Fruit Green Blend
Berries, Grass
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

2 Images

• “Sipdown!! (206) I LOVE my new kettle. The "keep warm" feature is awesome. I brewed Buddha's Blend and Eggnog & Pralines at 180F and left the kettle while I cooked dinner. As I cooked I got a...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1338 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown (201/205)! Thanks *VariaTEA* for the sample. This was barely even on my radar prior to receiving it (I was much more interested in the Cheesecake Genmaichas that Frank has done), but it...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1169 tasting notes
  • “Well this is a delightful tea indeed. I think I have another bag around somewhere in the room of boxes but I bought another one because I wanted some of the sugar plum and some kittea for the new...” Read full tasting note
    Starfevre 501 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! Pretty tasty, but I think I'd prefer a raspberry cream genmaicha, because otherwise there's a bit of a divide between the toastiness and the sharp raspberry flavouring. Still a good cup,...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes

From 52teas

Following the success of our Razzleberry (Raspberry & Blackberry) blend and iced tea, I thought we’d give it a try with our genmaicha. And I am not sorry!

Here’s our toasty Japanese genmaicha considerably cheered-up with the sweet and tart flavors of raspberry and blackberry. This is a unique summertime blend of genmaicha, and the combination of the sea-sprayed Japanese sencha, toasty brown rice and berry goodness makes me think of a picnic on the beach.

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of
July 1, 2013

Available at www.zoomdweebies.com

About 52teas View company

This is an odd tea. It tastes obviously like genmaicha, but with berries. My taste buds are very conflicted and confused. IMO, the berry flavor and the genmaicha don’t quite work together. Also, the berries taste a bit artificial to me.

Given the popularity of 52teas Genmaicha blends I was surprised that there haven’t been any tasting notes yet and there was still some left in stock. I have to admit that when I first heard about this new blend I wasn’t sure about it. Now having received this as part of my subscription I can’t get enough of it! The raspberry and blackberry combination works so well with the nutty Genmaicha base. The pairing brings out the lovely sweetness from the berries while the nuttiness of the base pulls it all together. With the use of the dried fruit you get an almost cake or cookie like flavoring which is heavenly! This a keeper and I will be scooping up a bunch for sure (for those who like this one, sorry for being a greedy piggy)

I am enjoying this iced. It is pretty good. I definitely taste berries and the slightly toasty and savory genmaicha flavors. The aftertaste really reminds me of marshmallow treat.

Flavors: Berries

I was reasonably impressed with my first cup of this. The raspberry/blackberry flavours are clear and well defined…juicy, slightly tart, although decidedly candy like to taste. The genmaicha is toasty with a hint of grassiness, but nicely balanced overall. My concern is that the two flavours don’t go together particularly…they seem to remain separate and don’t really complement each other. I have a feeling I’ll need to try a couple more cups before I can really work out what I think of this one, but the overall impression I gained was positive for a first cup.

165 °F / 73 °C 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

It’s been a long while since I’ve had Genmaicha of any sort, hadn’t realized before I took the 1st sip of this how much I missed it. (I’ve only had Fusion’s version and a 1 serving packet from a tea giveaway, didn’t have a label on it, but it was kind of nasty…tasted like burnt rice.) But this definitely reminds me that I need to get more.

Taste-The primary taste is Genmaicha for sure. With a aftertaste of raspberry. Now, while I don’t mind having a cup of this, I am not sure these flavors really meld together. I think Genmaicha would be better along side a Chai because the toasted rice has a really warm taste, whereas berries tend to be better suited to cold teas or hot teas with a white tea base.
From looking at Frank’s other Genmaicha blends, I can see Marshmallow being a good partner, as well as chocolate, caramel. Maybe even coconut.
Though I am not much of a dessert tea fan (Especially with chocolate ones. Just tastes like waterdowned hot chocolate.) I think paired with Genmaicha it might be different enough to me that I would enjoy it.