Rootbeer Float Black Tea

Marshmallow Root, Organic Flavours, Premium Black Teas
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Edit tea info Last updated by MissB

2 Images

• “I have to give this credit for being one of the most accurate to smell teas I've ever had. It smells like root beer down to the carbonation. I made this extra strong due to not thinking...” Read full tasting note
    kellyhinton 829 tasting notes
  • “Day 2 of 52 teas 12 days of Christmas. I should have known this would happen but I didn't think it all the way through before I purchased this set of teas. I have had this tea before and ...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 813 tasting notes
  • “and just as quickly as this tea arrives in my mail box it is gone with our youngest. sigh. truth be told i mostly got it for him anyway... i was snooping to see what 52teas was releasing this week...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “Out of all the Christmas samples I received from 52 teas, this was the one I was most excited to try. Actually no, I take that back-I was most excited about banana pudding, and that excitement was...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes

From 52teas

There is nothing like a rootbeer float, especially one made with some real draft rootbeer like they have at A&W. I really hope they don’t sue me for using their image, but when I think of rootbeer floats, that’s all I can think of. If you’ve never had draft rootbeer from an A&W restaurant, you’ve never really had rootbeer. And a rootbeer float from A&W… well, let’s just say there’s a reason I really need to go on a diet.

This special blend of premium black teas, marshmallow root and organic flavors comes close enough to the real thing that for zero calories, I’ll be drinking this all day when I’m not saving calories for the real thing.

About 52teas View company

Oh man this was worth the wait. As soon as the hot water hit the dry leaf the smell was AHHHMAZING.

I added just a little milk and had it iced. I think I’m gonna cut the time by 15-30 seconds next time though. The black tea got just a tad harsh for the delicious flavors of root beer. Maybe a touch of sugar too, to make it really decadent. But I guess doing that is more of an after dinner drink than one you have with dinner!

Lately the only root beer I have had has been “chai inspired” and it’s a nice change of pace to have a root beer tea, it’s actually very different. I also like how the marshmallow root gave the flavor and scent of ice cream to the tea.

I had tried to hold off on this one and I’m glad I failed even though again I am in this horrible I need money spot. I wish school would start already. Feels weird to say that. I also took too long to get stuff done and now I don’t even know when my school will approve my federal aid. I’m trying to see how much I get before I apply for my private loan but I already got turned down for one and I’m feeling really depressed about money.

Additionally I haven’t felt like tea lately because I get so much coffee at work. And I really want to narrow down my teas a lot, but this time I want to do it differently. For $27, I’ll fill up a priority mail medium flat rate box of teas for you. If you’re interested, send me a PM. It’d be easier if I just filled a box than go through everything making wishy washy decisions. It’ll only be in the US though because shipping that box to Canada is like $40 alone. And honestly I just don’t want to look at drinks anymore and I don’t want to waste this tea so I want it to go to a good home. I’m just not feeling much of anything anymore I guess, except oddly now I keep drinking coffee but I’m sure that’s the result of being in the midst of having more opening hours at work than even the manager! Ugh my body hurts.

momo

also I’m trying to clear out old stuff from my etsy store at 25% off if anyone is interested…I’ve been bothering people about it for 2 days and have had zero sales go figure. some of it’s coming up on being around since the start so I reeeeeally want to clear it out!

JustJames

mine says it’s been sorted at the post office…..IT’S NOT HERE YET THOUGH!!!!!!

RogersCK

I’m interested in getting some of your teas off your hands. Following you.

Day 2 of the 12 days of Christmas. I probably would not have ordered this for myself, so I am glad that I got to try it in this box!
It was ok hot, but cold is where this tea shines (who likes hot root beer anyway?). It tastes very much like root beer. There is also the ice cream with sweet vanilla. Delicious tea. I might pick some up in the summer as an iced tea if it’s available sometime.

On the second day of Christmas, 52 Teas gave to me…Rootbeer Float!

This is actually a new one on me, although I have a whole unopened pouch in my stash. I was saving it for next summer, but I guess now I get to try it anyway.

The dry leaf smells a little odd…it’s a pretty genuine rootbeer scent, I think, although there’s something a little musty about it. Hopefully that won’t translate into the taste!

Fortunately, it doesn’t. The root beer taste is actually really accurate, if hard to describe. Liquoricey? Chicory? The marshmallow root adds a lovely, thick creaminess that really does put me in mind of ice cream. The combination is wonderful — sweet creaminess, with the underlying root beer flavour. I drank it black, and I think it’s probably best like this, although I’d like to try it iced in the summer. Fortunately, there’s plenty in my stash to do just that! Probably one of my favourite 52 Teas in a while!

This is a little bit of a catch up, but I’ve been bad lately about writing up my teas. I’ve been going through a costuming craze, and my writing has fallen by the wayside a bit.

Teaware: 16oz glass mug with ForLife infuser
Measured dry: 2 teaspoons
Temperature: 212º F
Steeping Time: 3-1/2min
Additives: 4tsp raw sugar

This came in the 52Teas 12 Days of Christmas set, but we didn’t come close to following the suggested order. At this point we’re just making our way through some of the ones that didn’t spark with us originally.

Jake chose this one yesterday morning, and I think part of the reason I didn’t enjoy it as much as I could have is that I just don’t like the idea of soda in my tea. I think it’s just a personal preference thing, as this did taste a lot like a flat root beer. I didn’t get the creamy aspect as much, but the soda part came through very distinctly.

First tea from the Twelve Days of Christmas sampler. I actually already own this one, but this tea is so good I don’t mind having more. Frank has somehow managed to replicate both the scent and flavour of rootbeer almost perfectly. The tea also has the smooth, creamy flavour of ice cream – helped a bit, I think, by the milk I added.

Excellent tea – so much better than a partridge in a pear tree. ;)

Pleased to see this blend as I contemplated buying it when it was released. Root beer flavored things can be very tasty, but can go wrong if they’re not done right. I love root beer floats & I have a feeling that this one will be tasty! The scent of the dry leaf is of a creamy root beer. I’m always so amazed when a tea can be so accurate in terms of scent!

Sipping… I’m tasting a bit more of the ice cream than the root beer, which is actually just fine with me! It’s smooth, a little bit sweet and has that signature root beer bite. I am finding that shorter steep times with 52Teas seems to bring out a better cup. The tea base isn’t as present or astringent & I can focus on the unique flavors a bit more. Three minutes was my standard, but I’m enjoying these teas around 2 1/2 minutes or so.

This is a very tasty cup of tea. I’m not 100% sold on buying more in the future, but it is indeed very yummy. Twelve Teas of Christmas: Day Two

How does this magic tea not have a tasting yet?

Anyways I broke my tea hiatus and got some more Southern Boy ice teas, a couple of tea flavors (including this one), that swirly blue Ru Kiln cup, and that blue gaiwan that I have been eyeing for a couple of months now. I was planning on buying it after I got all my school stuff straiten out, but with it being on sale plus my $10 coupon I could not resist.

On to the tea flavor. This is pretty much what happens when you use a tea ray on a root beer float. The smell of the dry leaf is intoxicating. It smells like strong fresh root beer. After I brewed it, sweeten it, and put it on ice I was blown away. I wished though I didn’t sweeten it as much as I did. It has a pretty strong natural sweetness to it. The flavor was just so strong and vivid. When I added a touch of creamer it tasted even more like a root beer float; right after it has been a few minuets and the ice cream has melted a bit and formed this creamy bubble broth. I bet this would taste good with some club soda mixed in. I am so glad I sprang for this.

Water: 2 5oz batches combined
Leaf: 1.5 teaspoon
Time: 2:30; 3:00
Sweetener: 3 teaspoons of sugar; though one would probably do.
Cup: 16oz cup with ice

Second day of 12 Days of Christmas. Very nice tea…there are root beers that I don’t like (Barqs), but this tasted very root beer, without whatever flavor I don’t like. Nice tea…I would buy this one. My son, who loves root beer, might like to try this one.

Thanks muchly to Lala for sending some my way! I love root beer, and haven’t had a root beer float in ages (the picture on the pouch makes me want to experience that again sometime) so in order to try to emulate root beer in a cold, frosty mug, I decided to cold steep this.

And it’s truly yummy, like root beer with a stronger black tea background. Kind of wish I saved a bit for a hot cup to compare but this is an excellent alternative to actual root beer.

Speaking of experiences, I went to a movie at the theatre for the first time since 2010. Mockingjay broke my four-year streak. Not as captivating as the first two but I still can’t wait for the next to come out!

you broke it for that? lesigh

Fjellrev

Ugh, yeah. I showed my mom the first two on Sunday night and we thought screw it, let’s see the next one in the theatre now. Clearly I don’t get out much.

Angrboda

Do you not like going to the cinema?

yyz

I don’t go to the movies much anymore either. Mostly because, the sound is too loud and I have to wear earplugs to make it even bearable. Even then the sound is so loud sometimes it still causes me pain.

Fjellrev

Angrboda, I love going to the movies, but I just never had a life whilst going to university. Now that I’m done with it, I have time to go again. :)

I’m sorry the sound systems are too loud for you, yyz. I can see what you mean. I was surprised at how loud it was yesterday.

yeah…we like the movies as a treat, though now that we have the new tv, even harder to justify going since we can be comfy AND control the volume.. i had a headache the last time we went

Fjellrev

Oh yeah, hard to justify when you can sit at home and watch a movie on your own time in your own chair on a nice big flatscreen. For free! I recently bought a 39", and got a Shomi subscription, which works well enough for me. But still, it’s nice to see a movie… that’s supposed to be super awesome… in the theatre every once in a while.

Angrboda

We enjoy going but we’re very particular about what to see when there, so we only go maybe once a year or something like that. It has to be a really good film, otherwise I just feel like I’ve wasted my time, far more than I would if I’d watched it at home.

Fjellrev

That’s exactly how I feel about it too, Angrboda. I can’t justify spending that kind of money all of the time to see random mediocre films.

Angrboda

We have a comfortable economy in this household, so it’s not really the money for us so much as it’s the time. :) Somehow wasting time seems even worse than wasting money with some things.

Well, no surprises here. Tastes sweet and creamy. I’m surprised at the how strong the root beer flavour is for a tea, and it oddly works! If I still drank soda it would be root beer, but since I don’t I can satisfy any cravings with this tea.

Thanks for the sample, Lala! Yums!

Anlina

Root beer is the one soda I can’t give up, even though drinking stuff with bubbles makes me feel so terrible and pukey.

scribbles

Yeah, they’re pretty harsh on me too :(

gmathis

Funny you brought that up…we ate out last night and I drank the first root beer I’ve had in…a year? Barq’s. Pretty tasty!