SBT: Pear

Artificial, Pear, Perfume
Edit tea info Last updated by Debbie

2 Images

From 52teas

Premium Organic black tea with organic flavors. Each 14g teabag will make one 2-quart pitcher of DELICIOUS iced tea. Re-steep the teabag and you can get a full gallon out of each one. Steep in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. (3 minutes MAX.) Then combine with ice and water to make a 2-quart pitcher. It couldn’t be simpler—OR more delicious!

About 52teas View company

Backlog:

A fairly good Pear iced tea. I liked the second infusion of this tea better than my first cold-brewed infusion. The second infusion I hot brewed, and the flavor was softer, smoother, and there was less of a perfumed essence to it. I think it was the perfume-i-ness that threw me off on this one a bit with the first cold-brewed infusion. With the second infusion, this perfume-i-ness had subsided and I could enjoy the sweet, delicate pear flavor and the brisk black tea.

Not bad.

It was

The parameters on this tea (the same as the other SBT’s) yielded a surprisingly weak tea. It was light colored and watery and I didn’t really get any discernible tea flavor. It was that same candy-saccharine note in the iced earl grey that I wasn’t fond of then either.

Couldn’t finish this one, sadly. I’m glad I tried it though.

bookshark

That happened to me on the Mango Peach, so I steeped it again. I honestly thought I had misunderstood the directions! I have a pitcher of this chilling right now, so we’ll see how it turns out.

Nope. Not for me. I really can’t get into these 52tea blends. There is something really harsh about the blends..

ifjuly

That’s been my general takeway too; you’re not alone!

This is a delicious iced tea. This is one of the better SBT’s (although most of the ones I have tried have been good). The dry tea smells like sweet, candied pear. I am also getting a kind of white chocolate smell. Hmmmm….

I brewed for 3 minutes in 2 cups water, then filled the pitcher up with cold water and chilled over night.

Initially it tasted ok. Like flat black tea flavoured badly with some kind of pear taste. I added some white sugar and it improved quite a bit. The candied pear flavour returned. There was still the black tea base, but you could taste the pear on top. I added even more white sugar, and it was excellent. Not sure where the white chocolate smell went, but it did not come out in the taste – which is probably good. All in all, I added about 1/2 cup of white sugar for 2 liters, which is more than I usually like to add, but it tastes so good!!!

Stay tuned for the resteep…..

Edit: Made a resteep. Steeped for 4 minutes in 2 cups boiling water and then filled the pitcher with cold water and chilled overnight. I would say this is not even the same tea. The resteep is delicious. But it is much more just candy flavoured sweet black tea. Not much pear flavour. I did use less sweetener on the resteep then I did with the first steep.

The last of the SBTs currently remaining in my cupboard. I think I left this one until last because I have a bit of an odd relationship with pear. Some varieties of the actual fruit give me a migraine. I needn’t have worried about this, though, because it actually tastes more like pear drops (which I DO like) than pear itself. Rather than being soft and perfumey, it tastes sweet and candy-like. There’s pear there, but it’s much more reminiscent of a pear drop than a pear, if that makes sense.

I gave this the usual treatment — about 3 minutes in boiling water, topped up with cold, and then into the fridge overnight. The black base is perfect, as ever, and as a summer drink it’s very refreshing. I suppose the taste is less “natural” than some of the other SBTs that are based on things found in nature (like Mango Peach, or Watermelon). That doesn’t put me off, though — I’m just glad I can drink it without feeling ill afterwards. Besides, pear drops are nice anyway! Another great SBT!

Bummer. I over steeped this:/ And it was the only one I had. Bummer. Just bitter black tea and sugar:( Until we meet again SBT PEAR!

While I like a lot of 52Teas blends, this one didn’t agree with me. It tasted very artificial and bothered my stomach, for whatever reason. The boything didn’t care for it either, and we wound up throwing out most of the pitcher.

Flavors: Artificial, Pear

I hot brewed a jug of this last night and am frankly disappointed. It’s weak and very perfumy. I wonder if I should have added some sugar… I might try resteeping the bag again and hope it resteeps well.

Flavors: Perfume

Am I the only one who finds the directions for brewing SBT confusing? Maybe I’m just overthinking it. In any case, I ended up steeping this tea twice to make 2 quarts because the first steep didn’t really seem to taste like anything and then for some reason I thought I’d done it wrong.

Anyhow, I understand the comments about a candy flavor. There’s a hint of hard candy in the way this tastes. The pear flavor is more like an aftertaste and reminds me of the part of the fruit closest to the core, just a little bitter. I don’t think I’d order this one again. Mostly because I’ve enjoyed other SBTs a lot more.