Pineapple Angel Food Cake

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “Mmmmm...this one is sweet and cake-y and has just the right amount of base to tie everything together. With hints of pineapple to add one more delicious component. I am glad I have one more cup of...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1962 tasting notes
  • “From the Great Canadian TTB. The dry tea smells of delicious candied pineapple. The brewed tea smells the same. It is reminding me of Butiki's Flowery Pineapple oolong. On first sip while...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 772 tasting notes
  • “This one definitely lifts the spirits. It's a soft flavored tea but it works well with the white tea. It's sweet with pineapple and cake notes. They are subtle and blend with the sweetness of the...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 794 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I love angel food cake, so I looked forward to trying this one. It didn't quite capture the angel food flavor the way I'd hoped, although I can get where that idea is coming from. I...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4449 tasting notes

From 52teas

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of
October 7, 2013

So, I’m feeling better (thanks for the well-wishes), but had so much to catch up on this week that I’m still behind. Some of our subscribers may actually receive this tea before they get a chance to read the post about it this week. (I didn’t want to get any further behind on shipping packages.) In addition to trying to stay on top of the the usual orders and subscriptions, I’m also trying to get all of our crowd-funding perks put together, creating ten new Southern Boy Teas blends in preparation for a nationwide wholesale effort, working with a graphic designer who is helping us create new labels and point-of-purchase signage for the SBTs campaign, and trying to get organized for our 12 Teas of Christmas project. So, yeah, it has been a little busy.

Before we get to our Tea of the Week this week, I need to say something about our crowd-funding effort. It ends in just a few days. More than likely, you won’t hear any more about it from me, so please lend me your ear for this last mention.

Barring some sort of miracle, it does not appear that we are going to make our goal, and perhaps it simply was not meant to be. All I can say is that I tried. And maybe someday if I win the lottery or my tea business becomes successful beyond my wildest dreams, maybe then I’ll open a tea bar, maybe even as a non-profit organization or something. In the meantime, I just want to mention to our faithful customers that regardless of whether or not we reach our goal, all of the campaign perks WILL be honored. And there are some really neat perks there, some of which you won’t have an opportunity to get through any other means. So, please take one more look at the perks and if there’s something you like, please contribute the appropriate amount and claim your perk(s). All perks should be shipping by the end of the month. Also, please note that even if we fail to reach our goal, all of the money we raise is going back into our operating budget to bring you new, fun teas. This is not a case where the money raised is just mad money for Frank. [Though maybe I should start a mad money for Frank campaign—it might be nice to have some for once. =)] The money is being used to purchase more inventory and supplies (particularly to fulfill our obligations to contributors for their perks).

But enough of that, on to this week’s Tea of the Week: It is awesome. I blended our premium shou mei white tea with freeze-dried pineapple and organic flavors to create a soothing cuppa yummy. The pineapple is a very strong scent when you smell the dry tea, but tasting it, you definitely get the flavor of soft, vanilla, spongy angel food cake underlying the sweet pineapple. All it’s missing is the ability to chew it, and for me, the flavor is so spot on, it makes me want to start chewing to feel that soft, chewy, spongy cake. I have a feeling this one is going to be very popular.

See everything we currently have in stock at http://www.zoomdweebies.com/Available-NOW_c_32.html

About 52teas View company

1962 tasting notes

Mmmmm…this one is sweet and cake-y and has just the right amount of base to tie everything together. With hints of pineapple to add one more delicious component. I am glad I have one more cup of this tasty tea. Thank you Roswell Strange!

Roswell Strange

Haven’t tried this yet, but dying to (major pineapple lover). I keep waiting until I have time to properly sit down and steep/appreciate it because I’m sure I’ll love it ;)

VariaTEA

The water cooled a lot because I steeped enough for 3 cups and then let the water cool while I steeped the Apple Strudel Pistachio and The Woman for 5 minutes. By the time I got to the water it was like 145F so I was like, I will steep the first white I grab and this was it. I am glad too because it is really good.

From the Great Canadian TTB.

The dry tea smells of delicious candied pineapple. The brewed tea smells the same. It is reminding me of Butiki’s Flowery Pineapple oolong.

On first sip while the tea is hot, it is strongly candied pineapple. Again similar to Butiki’s oolong but this one is a white tea. As the tea starts to cool, it starts to lose some of the pineapple flavour and there is a bit more of a cake type flavour. I guess it could be angel food. It also becomes much thicker and creamier as it cools. I feel like the pineapple is giving way to a vanilla cream flavour.

I like this blend. The only thing I am a bit disappointed in is it is pineapple or cake, depending on how hot the tea is when you drink it. It would have been nice if you could have those two flavours together.

This one definitely lifts the spirits. It’s a soft flavored tea but it works well with the white tea. It’s sweet with pineapple and cake notes. They are subtle and blend with the sweetness of the white tea. Mmmm :)

Backlog:

I love angel food cake, so I looked forward to trying this one. It didn’t quite capture the angel food flavor the way I’d hoped, although I can get where that idea is coming from. I taste the creamy vanilla notes, and a hint of bake-y like flavors. The pineapple is sweet and doesn’t overpower.

Overall, it’s a good tea, tasty – better iced than hot.

I love angel food cake and thought that angel food cake flavor + a white tea = dream. When I opened the pouch, I was hit with a scent that is almost identical to children’s chewable Tylenol. Oh, it brought back memories of having to a) eat the stuff b) wash it down quickly with water after c) hope to never do that again. It’s funny the way scents bring back memories even years later. After the water has been added, it’s toned down a little bit and the white tea steps forward. I actually get a bit of a headache after smelling this one.

Sipping… good, it’s not entirely Tylenol… but I taste artificial grape mixed with white tea? Eh.. not a good sign. As it cools, more pineapple comes out and the white tea becomes softer. I also get a tiny bit of something sweet in the background that reminds me more of candy than cake. I’m thinking of a Lifesaver candy… the piña colada ones? It’s not explicitly a tropical holiday tea, but I definitely get that vibe.

So, I seem to be missing the mark with my cups of tea today. I hope I can find something to sip on that won’t make me feel sick.

Fjellrev

That’s too bad, because a pineapple angel food cake should be instant heaven, no pun intended.

QueenOfTarts

It should! I’m not sure what happened with this one.

Sipdown! Thanks to… that same mystery person who I can’t remember. (Now I’m thinking…. Rachel? Halp!) Anyhow, drank a cup of this last night… wasn’t overly thrilled. There was certainly nothing objectionable about the tea – it was mild, sweet, a bit hay-like, and perhaps a touch fruity – but I didn’t taste any pineapple at all. It’s certainly possible that it lost some flavour due to sitting around, but usually there’s at least a bit of residual flavour. I would happily try this again, since it was a perfectly pleasant cup of tea and I’d be curious to try again to catch some pineapple, but it’s not a big loss if I can’t.

Re-steep was too long, and therefore had a bit of a weird flavour. Oops.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

thank you roswell strange and VariaTEA for sending this my way. I have to say, i never expect much from Frank’s teas anymore as they still remain largely inconsistent the times when i do get them. This one though? not too shabby – though it of course is ridiculously expensive if you consider it’s only 1oz for the same price as others. I am getting a really nice pineapple flavour out of this one, though there’s a hint of spices that i’m guessing make up the cake part of this. That being said though, in the grand scheme of things, i’m thinking i might prefer just a straight up pineapple tea…a la butki. Not bad though, and certainly better than some of the 52 teas that i’ve had :) thanks for sharing ladies!

Sipdown! I am getting a stronger profile on this one, this last steep. Perhaps I steeped it longer? I am getting a juicy pineapple note, though nothing I can quite say is angel food cake. This could be because my mouth is heavily flavoured still, from my dinner, which may be altering my perceptions on the smaller notes of the tea. I’m upping my rating a little, and I may consider buying a small amount test out cold steeping, but I would like to try Butiki Flowering Pineapple Oolong first…

Thanks again for the chance to try this one, VariaTEA

2067 tasting notes

Sipdown (173/179)!

Yummy pineapple brown sugar spongey glaze thing! This was a happy moment in my otherwise sucktacular day yesterday. I’m sending the last bit to Sil so I hope she likes it! I’m very sad to be out of this one; but I think it’s definitely one of those ones that has to be shared.

If I had a chance to get it again, I probably would though…

mmmMMmm! Sips in a nice sweet candied pineapple with a light cakey flavor! Very nice! I find the pineapple and cake flavors go great with the shou mei base, which is light, sweet and slightly flowery.
The only thing is I’m not sure if I didnt’ know it was already supposed to be Angel food cake I would of noticed. It does taste like cake, but hey, it works since it’s a white tea!

Arg, I was going to actually try and review this tea while in Hawaii, but the water water temperature was too unreliable on the ship.

Overall, very tasty! If I didn’t have so much tea, I’d buy another if it was in stock.