Pumpkin Toffee Dragonwell

Green Tea
Green Tea, Marigold Petals, Organic Flavours
Cinnamon, Clove, Drying, Pumpkin, Toffee, Bitter, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by Anlina

• “A huge thanks to *Dinosara* for sharing this with me in a swap bag I just received today. So excited! I can smell the pumpkin in here, very much the same flavoring as Frank's Ginger Pumpkin...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1157 tasting notes
  • “thank you *CHAroma!* for sending a sample of this my way. Even being sick i risked drinking this one since i have a thing for franks pumpkin flavouring. I quite like this one. Not enough to feel...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5360 tasting notes
  • “Ahhhh, snow! We just had a brief snowfall here... perfect day to stay inside and huddle with blankets and tea. So, I broke my don't-buy-52teas rule and bought this tea. I have not have much...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2031 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I loved the idea of a pumpkin toffee tea ... I love pumpkin ... I love toffee ... what's not to love! The toffee notes are portrayed really nicely in this tea. Sweet and spicy from...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes

From 52teas

This week’s tea of the week tastes like rich pumpkin pie with a crust made entirely of sweet, delicious toffee. I don’t know if anyone could really make a pie like that, but I would love to try one. In the meantime, I’m going to continue enjoying rich sips of this yummy tea. The Dragonwell green tea adds just the right notes of sweet nuttiness to compliment the toffee and contrast with the pumpkin. All in all, this is a really special treat you’ll love serving to your guests, if you’re generous enough to share.

This superior Dragonwell blend is available at zoomdweebies.com for just $9.99 for a 2oz pouch. Get yours today.

About 52teas View company

A huge thanks to Dinosara for sharing this with me in a swap bag I just received today. So excited!

I can smell the pumpkin in here, very much the same flavoring as Frank’s Ginger Pumpkin Cheeesecake Honeybush. This one however, I only smell the pumpkin… oh wait, there’s the flavor a few seconds after the sip. Well, I do get buttery, I do get pumpkin, I’m missing a bit of toffee, however with a touch of sweetener, that may change. A nice, light cup.

Amariel

Pumpkin and toffee, can it get much better? Unfortunately, I have not had the best of luck with some of the 52Teas blends. Still, always worth putting on my wish list to try.

thank you CHAroma! for sending a sample of this my way. Even being sick i risked drinking this one since i have a thing for franks pumpkin flavouring. I quite like this one. Not enough to feel the need to buy a whole bag for myself but it did reinforce that i still love the pumpkin flavouring that he has. Paired with the green base (not usually my preference), it’s got a nice creamy feel to it. Thanks CHAroma!

Fjellrev

I hope all this tea you’ve been sampling has been helping you feel better. :)

CHAroma

I thought you’d like it. ;)

2031 tasting notes

Ahhhh, snow! We just had a brief snowfall here… perfect day to stay inside and huddle with blankets and tea.

So, I broke my don’t-buy-52teas rule and bought this tea. I have not have much success with them, and they are often just not to my taste. I have bought pumpkin teas from them in the past because I want them to work for me, but they never do. This one got through because dragonwell. I don’t like their black tea base, but this is dragonwell! And maybe it won’t cover up the flavorings so much.

The dry leaf, of course, smells AMAZING. They always do. Like pumpkin and spices and toffee. Brewed, I still get a good amount of pumpkin and spices from the scent, with perhaps a bit of buttery toffee, and the dragonwell base comes out.

It’s interesting. The dragonwell is an interesting choice of base because it is buttery, but it’s also green, so I feel like it lacks a bit of heft I might want from a pie tea. That said, the pumpkin is nice here, and I actually taste it as pumpkin, which is saying something. Pumpkin itself is often lost in pumpkin spice teas. I normally wouldn’t sweeten a green tea but… I think this one would really be awesome with an added hint of sweetness, which might bring out the green tea. Overall I am reasonably happy, although my mind isn’t blow or anything.

Stephanie

This one sounded pretty good to me too, but I’ve had to stop buying from them unless I’ve tried a sample first. They are very hit or miss with me too!

Uniquity

Snow?!?
Oy.

Tealizzy

I haven’t written a note on this one, even though I’ve had it a few times. Still trying to figure out whether I like it.

Backlog:

I loved the idea of a pumpkin toffee tea … I love pumpkin … I love toffee … what’s not to love! The toffee notes are portrayed really nicely in this tea. Sweet and spicy from the pumpkin spices, creamy. Delicious.

The toffee tastes buttery and accentuates the pumpkin really nicely … not a flavor combination I would have thought of but it works. I love that Frank chose a green tea base here instead of black tea, I think that the black tea would have obscured some of the tasty nuances of the toffee and pumpkin.

YUM!

MissB

I just had this yesterday myself. How did you go about brewing it?

LiberTEAS

I brewed it in my breville one touch. Temperature was 180 and the steep time was 2 minutes.

MissB

Ah yes, I need to get back to using my Breville for brewing instead of just using it as a boiling water canister. ;) Thanks! :)

seule771

Dragonwell is green tea similarly to that Gunpowder Tea. How can it be mixed with pumpkin and Toffee…amazing. I will not try this one.

No offense, remember I am the one that purchase the Doggy Tea thinking it was to be consume by humans when not. Good luck.

CHAroma shared this one with me :)

I’m actually quite enjoying this blend. The pumpkin is really lovely, though I’m not really getting toffee. I don’t generally go for greens, but I’m looking forward to a resteep.

this one sounded so good but i was wary about the green

Glad you liked it! :)

The dry leaf aroma has bite! It’s spicy and pumpkin-y and downright scrumptious smelling! The brewed tea aroma is calmer and the taste is calmer still. Don’t get me wrong; this is tasty! But I wish the taste had the same bite as the dry leaf aroma.

The green base comes through strong and in the forefront of the sip. It’s not thickly grassy as I would expect a dragonwell to be, but that’s actually to my advantage. Next comes the pumpkin spiciness (think Thanksgiving pumpkin pie with nutmeg). And at the end of the sip, there’s a sweet, caramel-like, toffee finish. This is delicious! Not quite as potent as I’d like the flavors to be but delicious nonetheless.

I know this isn’t a cheesecake tea…but I swear I can detect tanginess too. Overall, I’m not floored by this blend as I have been in the past with some 52teas’ creations. However, I’ll happily drink the rest of this and even share it with my husband. I have a feeling this is exactly the type of tea he’d love. Green teas are his favorite. :)

This was one I was curious about but I’m mostly off of 52 teas now until frank gets back to what hews a producing earlier. Too many disappointments lately :(

CHAroma

Aww, well I’d be happy to send you a sample if you’d like to try it. It’s a lightly flavored tea, similar to the gentle way Stacy from Butiki flavors her teas. The base is really nice too, so at the very least you’ll enjoy a nice cup of green tea. I don’t need anything in return, and I promise I won’t send you a million samples like last time. ;)

I enjoy a good dragonwell tea and seeing that this was the base for this blend — I thought, perfect! There is something about the pumpkin spices that really bothers me. I can’t put my finger on what it is… the ginger? The clove? Nutmeg? Either way, it’s not something that I want in my tea. I actually don’t mind pumpkin spices when they are mild or mixed with something as in a pumpkin pastry or pie. I think that pumpkin spices are quite comforting around this time of the year, it’s just when I can isolate one of them that ruins it.

This tea tastes mostly like pumpkin spice with a very faint green tea in the background. I do like the base and think it would be a nice tea on its own, if given the chance to be sipped without the addition of other flavors. All of the spices come together to create an outline of a pumpkin flavor, but it’s not truly pumpkin. I continued to sip even though I had a pretty good grasp on what this tea was all about.. it’s just not what I want it to be. As for the toffee? Can’t taste it at all — it’s all about the spices.

My first day of Christmas tea from the 52 Teas Christmas Box.

This should have been logged yesterday but I forgot the in-laws were coming by to see our new house. It’s the first time they have been down to see us as they don’t drive and live in another city. That meant major cleaning and clearing on my part, trying to make a 2 week lived in house perfect. That didn’t happen but I tried my best. So yes this was yesterdays tea but I’m tasting it today to make up for yesterday.

The raw blend has a strong clove and cinnamon scent, very spice mix and perhaps a little like pumpkin though nothing sweet nor toffee like. The dragonwell was rather a dark green with large yellow discolouration, so low quality though I suppose that compromises on it being a unique blend. I only mention the quality as Long Jing is not a favourite of mine unless the quality is crystal, otherwise I find it much too harsh to drink.

After a guess-timated steeping time I pour the tea. The same clove spice mix fills the air, though while nice and Christmas like it’s starting to remind me less and less of pumpkin or toffee.

The flavour is of a good strength though I am getting a lot of dryness in the after taste, I always do with low grade Long Jing. It is highly spice flavoured with clove dominating with a touch of cinnamon in the background, though as mentioned they are rather dry. It tastes of synthetic pumpkin, in other words it meets my expectations as what to expect from a substitute. If you’ve tasted Franks other pumpkin flavoured teas then you know what I’m talking about. All said and done there is no toffee, nothing remotely sweet or candied. Also the green tea aside from it’s dryness is not noticeable in taste, the spice dominates over it rather strongly.

So you get synthetic pumpkin which is hit or miss and no toffee to speak of. Nice try but this is not what it claims, at least to me. However, it is a fairly nice Christmas like blend, clove may not be my personal choice to mix it with Long Jing but this does pair together well. Albeit not perfect for me (as a hater of low grade Long Jing and of clove) but it is pleasant enough to drink and mildly enjoy. So this is more of a Christmas Clove Dragonwell than a Pumpkin Toffee Dragonwell.

But oh well, a nice start to the box. Plus I’m in a pleasant mood after my faith in humanity has been restored a little, before I went to make this tea I passed by the front door and found a small business card sized envelope on the floor. I picked it up and saw it had no name, so I went into the living room and opened it to find a small Christmas tree card which is addressed inside to my house number from a neighbouring house. A neighbour that I have never met nor seen but one that is definitely getting a card back tomorrow. All these years since I moved out and in none of my previous three homes did any neighbour give us a card, or even a thought. Considering that we bought this house and intend to be in it for potentially the rest of our lives it’s very comforting to know we have at least one friendly neighbour. :)

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Drying

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 20 OZ / 600 ML

52teas’ 12 Teas of Christmas Day 1! (Drank Dec. 2)

[Backlogged because I didn’t want to spoil this for anyone, and am hoping I don’t!]

Doing this review pretty much blind, because I don’t want to scratch the sticker for fear of completely crushing the tea in the packet. So from the outside, all I can tell is that it’s a green. Sencha, specifically. With marigold petals. Upon opening the bag, there’s a delicious wave of scents – creamy, tangy, spicy… I’ve never had the tea, but I’m reasonably certain that this is the green-based Pumpkin Cheesecake, based on my rather dim recollection of the black-based version. Though this one smells far more cream cheesy than the other ever did, complete with the tanginess.

Flavourwise, I can taste… pumpkin? And spices, though they are fairly light. Not really tasting that cheesecake flavour that I could smell. I’m still pretty sure about my guess (although it’s possible I’m wrong)

And, it turns out I am wrong. Apparently it’s Pumpkin Toffee Dragonwell. Which is pretty surprising to me, because this tea decidedly does not look like a dragonwell, nor did I get any of the characteristic dragonwell flavours (savory/umami), which I definitely got in both of Butiki’s dragonwell blend attempts. I guess it does explain the lack of cheesecake flavouring, though why I distinctly smelled the tanginess in the aroma, I’m not sure. I also didn’t get nearly as much toffee as I would have hoped for.

Unfortunate that I was wrong, because had this been Punmpkin Cheesecake on green, I probably would have rated it a 78. As Pumpkin Toffee Dragonwell, it only garners a 72, losing marks for the base tea (and lack of toffee). I still enjoy it though, and definitely wanted to try this blend, so I’m happy it was included!

Fjellrev

You were definitely very close! This is a cool way of testing out your senses.

Kittenna

It’s entertaining. Of course, getting the emails, I am aware of what blends things may possibly be… and I can see the tea type, etc. as well. But as I’ve found… (spoilers!) I’ve been correct once out of 8 teas, despite being certain of a few of them. Haha.

Steep Information:
Served: Hot

Tasting Notes:
Dry Leaf Smell: pumpkin spice, CARDAMOM
Steeped Tea Smell: pumpkin spice, slightly vegetal
Flavor: vegetal, then pumpkin spice, finish cinnamon and clove, cardamom
Body: Medium
Aftertaste: clove, cardamom
Liquor: translucent light yellow green

Also the first tea of the 12 teas of christmas.

Post-Steep Additives: