SBT: Key Lime Cheesecake

Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma
Iced 6 min, 15 sec

• “Okay, so I think I found an SBT that I won't be restocking. This is good but not as tasty but having tried the others, I know there are better options out there. This has a smooth black tea flavor...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1363 tasting notes
  • “On The Fourth Day of Christmas, SBT sent me this tea! Having enjoyed the other lime offerings from SBT (Lime Jello and Lime Cola) I felt confident that I'd enjoy this too. And it's yummy. I...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4231 tasting notes
  • “Steeping the base hot, this smelled at first very chemical-y, kinda like chlorine, but then after I topped off the jug with cold water and it settled down a bit there was a kind of tangy key lime...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 609 tasting notes
  • “I got this tea as part of SBT last kickstarter. i finished a pitcher of this iced tea today. So far, this one is my favorite - the lime goes great in southern style iced tea. Not that cheesecakey,...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 937 tasting notes

From 52teas

Premium Organic black tea with organic flavors. Each 14g teabag will make one 2-quart pitcher of DELICIOUS iced tea. Re-steep the teabag and you can get a full gallon out of each one. Steep in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. (3 minutes MAX.) Then combine with ice and water to make a 2-quart pitcher. It couldn’t be simpler – OR more delicious!

About 52teas View company

Okay, so I think I found an SBT that I won’t be restocking. This is good but not as tasty but having tried the others, I know there are better options out there. This has a smooth black tea flavor with the aftertaste of key lime. It is pleasant but I am missing the cheesecake. Perhaps I will try another one of the lime offerings with my next order…hmmm…

Iced 8 min or more
Fjellrev

I was wondering what this one would be like since I’m a huge fan of his Lime Jello Salad. Too bad about the lack of cheesecake.

VariaTEA

I was actually thinking of grabbing the Lime Jello.

Fjellrev

I wouldn’t be surprised if the SBT Lime Jello is very similar to this one, especially if you didn’t pick up on the cheesecake note. I loved his Lime Jello Salad green that he sold as loose leaf. The marshmallow root made it so creamy. I didn’t really get that with the SBT Lime Jello, unfortunately.

VariaTEA

Mmmm. I love marshmallow root. I am glad you enjoyed it. And you are probably right about Lime Jello being similar to this. It is probably dumb but I feel like that would still be preferred because at least it would live up to its name. In this case I was disappointed because there was no cheesecake. Gotta love the power of suggestion.

Fjellrev

Perhaps he will reblend the Lime Jello Salad someday. But I totally understand the expectations, and that alone can change your perspective on a tea even if it does taste good. My theory is the cheesecake note is difficult to taste with a black base. I could actually taste the cheesecake in Apricot Cheesecake Shou Mei, most likely because the base was so light. It just seems like such a subtle note.

VariaTEA

There has been very few “cheesecake” teas that were successful in capturing the flavor. I could see how it would work on a white base although I have had successful cheesecake teas on black as well.

Fjellrev

Which black cheesecake teas have been successful for you?

VariaTEA

Oh. wow. I meant to write it and not be so mysterious and I guess I got distracted and forgot. This has really not been my day. I know there has been a couple, though not many, however the only one that is coming to mind right now is the Caramel Cherry Cheesecake by Darlene’s Teaport. It had a nice cheesecake tang to it. Now I am trying to remember the others…

Fjellrev

Thanks! I’ll have to check that out.

VariaTEA

I keep going back and forth about buying it. If I end up getting some, I am happy to send some your way so you can try it. I think I will have to have another cup of the sample I have before I decide to get more though to make sure it was actually the tea and not just my excitement that made the cup so great.

Also, taking a quick look through my spreadsheet, I think that may the only tea that nailed the cheesecake flavor for me. I thought there was more but I guess that was just wishful thinking :P

On The Fourth Day of Christmas, SBT sent me this tea!

Having enjoyed the other lime offerings from SBT (Lime Jello and Lime Cola) I felt confident that I’d enjoy this too. And it’s yummy. I cold-brewed the first pitcher of this tea, and then I resteeped the pouch (hot-brewed) and to tell the truth, I found the hot-brewed resteeping of the pouch to be better than the first cold-brew. It’s more flavorful, I can taste more of the lime and cheesecake in the second pitcher than I did in the first cold-brewed pitcher.

In the cold-brewed pitcher, I noticed most of the flavor in the aftertaste.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/28/on-the-fourth-day-of-christmas-southern-boy-teas-edition/

Steeping the base hot, this smelled at first very chemical-y, kinda like chlorine, but then after I topped off the jug with cold water and it settled down a bit there was a kind of tangy key lime and cream cheese (! yes) scent going on. I know not to judge much based on the scent of the initial steep as it’s hyper-concentrated.

Today completely cold, this tastes mostly like plain black iced tea to me—refreshing and iced tea-y, but not too much other flavor. There is a sweet note, very very subtly lime-y, but I’m not sure I’d even detect it as such without the power of suggestion…

Wait a sec. Well, actually there’s more key lime in the lingering aftertaste…it sits on your lips and tongue and is in fact quite accurate, just light. This makes the lips tingle and get numb slightly too, not sure what that’s about. This is one that grows on you; unlike many Zoomdweebies/52teas offerings it’s not an upfront whammy of smell and flavor that recedes to let the tea taste come in at the end of the sip; it’s the opposite, where at first you just taste tea and then the cooling lime and cream cheese (yay, it’s in there!) and crust elements wander in gradually and grow fuller and louder with time. I do like this after all.

Iced

I got this tea as part of SBT last kickstarter. i finished a pitcher of this iced tea today. So far, this one is my favorite – the lime goes great in southern style iced tea. Not that cheesecakey, but still very delicious.
I might need to snag more for the new SBT kickstarter!

Iced

Not counting the tea I reviewed last week, I have 21 different flavors of SBT teas in my cupboard. I’d better get drinking! Thank God it’s finally warm enough to enjoy iced tea. The dry leaf aroma is divine. Very lime-y in a fresh, authentic way. It even smells creamy, mmm!

My husband stole a sip while he poured me a cup and said, “It’s good, but it’s too buttery for my tastes.” Well, good! All the more for me then! The nerve of him to steal a sip without asking anyway. :P I’m perfectly happy to lay claim to this entire pitcher all by myself because this is super yummy!

Although my husband described it as buttery, I’m not sure I agree. I find it creamy, smooth, luscious, and delicious! It’s equally lime and cheesecake to me. The black base here is not bitter at all, and the flavoring is much more authentic tasting than the lime in the Cherry Limeade SBT. I love this one so much more.

The base is about even strength with the added flavorings, which is especially nice. I added some agave and it complements the cup perfectly! This is exactly my kind of tea. Yummm! I need to pick up some more of this. I think this is the most cheesecake I’ve gotten out of any 52teas blend to date. It’s not tangy, but it is creamy and delicious. I call it a success!

Iced 3 min, 0 sec

At first taste, this tasted a lot like a plain black iced tea with a shot of melted lime jello in it. It was sweet and limey, but dominantly the tea flavor.

About halfway through the sip, though, the lime becomes more tangy, sharp, and natural tasting like a fresh key lime. There does seem to be an amount of tart creamy cheesecake flavor hiding underneath it, as well.

This one didn’t really grow on me until I had already reached the bottom of my pitcher (Sad!). I don’t know if it strikes me as a reorder, but I definitely ended up liking it better than my initial impressions had me thinking.

Iced 8 min or more