Butterscotch Banana

Edit tea info Last updated by 52teas

• “ Roswell strange wasn't kidding when she said this mason jar is massive. Like it's huge. and she also suggested it could be use to hasten sip downage, and so I decided to have this tea this...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 416 tasting notes
  • “Cold Brew: Thirteen hour total. This one does _not_ brew up well cold (despite tasting better once it's cooled down from a hot brew) at all. Seriously, don't do it. The 52Teas black base was _so_...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1176 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! Thank you *Roswell Strange* for sending some of this my way. I recall really enjoying my first cup but this second cup, though tasting very much like banana and butterscotch, is really...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1343 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Roswell Strange* for letting me sample some of this blend! I drank my first cup of it waaay back in January, when I first got it - and was pretty impressed. Butterscotchy, and that...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes

From 52teas

Our Tea of the Week for the Week of
November 18, 2013

One of the things I find cool about blending flavored teas is that I can combine flavors that might not otherwise get combined. I’ve never seen butterscotch and banana combined in anything else, but guess what? It’s an awesome combination. Hope you like it as much as I do!

About 52teas View company

Roswell strange wasn’t kidding when she said this mason jar is massive. Like it’s huge. and she also suggested it could be use to hasten sip downage, and so I decided to have this tea this afternoon. I already know i’m not going to be reordering it, because the banana pudding black tea is way, way better (in my opinion), and although this isn’t bad, it just pales in comparison. Add to that that I drank like double the amount just so I could use up more tea and you have me disliking it even more. I can’t even pinpoint what it was about this tea that I didn’t like-I reduced the steeping time a bit which actually went a long way in toning down the rather loud base, and I do love me some butterscotch and some banana, but perhaps not mixed together? There was something a bit cloying about this tea that I don’t find to be the case with the banana pudding tea.

So yeah, getting closer to a sip down, although I’m not quite there yet.

2 tsp 20 OZ / 591 ML
Courtney

Hastening sip-downage is always a good idea.

Roswell Strange

Awe, that’s sad. I really like this one, probably as much as Banana Pudding.

keychange

Hey, want the rest of it then?

Roswell Strange

How much do you have left? I still have half a pouch or so – so I definitely don’t need to be adding lots more to my cupboard…

keychange

Like almost a whole pouch. But you won’t be “adding it to your cupboard” because it’s just..enhancing what’s already there. It isn’t a new tea ;)

Roswell Strange

Technicalities ;) But sure, if you really don’t want it. I’ll definitely use it – and it’ll make me feel less guilty about being so close to sipping down my other 52Teas banana teas. I’ve been hoarding them for fear I’ll run out of yummy banana teas…

Cold Brew: Thirteen hour total.

This one does not brew up well cold (despite tasting better once it’s cooled down from a hot brew) at all. Seriously, don’t do it. The 52Teas black base was so dominant that I struggled all morning to finish off the 25 oz. of it (I didn’t want to toss it because I was sick, and getting up seemed like a worse idea). It was also very weirdly starchy tasting.

So yeah, I’m sticking to hot brews for this one.

Sipdown!!

Thank you Roswell Strange for sending some of this my way. I recall really enjoying my first cup but this second cup, though tasting very much like banana and butterscotch, is really astringent.

Amariel

I don’t like atsringent either.

astringent

VariaTEA

It really ruins a whole cup.

Amariel

It sure does. I’m not a huge fan of smoky either.

Thanks to Roswell Strange for letting me sample some of this blend! I drank my first cup of it waaay back in January, when I first got it – and was pretty impressed. Butterscotchy, and that banana flavour that just treads the line between artificial and natural-tasting. The aroma reminds me of my beloved Banana Oolong, that DT tragically discontinued.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Hello.Kiki

I’ve always been hesitant to try teas with banana or banana flavor to them…

Kittenna

Some are absolutely fabulous; others taste like banana runts and it’s a bit sickly. This one is definitely more realistic banana, which is wonderful (though as I said, not quiiiite real). Have to be careful though!

Hello.Kiki

Every time I go into Teavana (I know, I know) I’m tempted to try their chocolate bananas foster. I just love dessert teas!

WHAT…… WHAT……. WHAT….. DID STEEPSTER JUST EVOLVE!?!?!?
So after looking at Steepster this morning and afternoon and now seeing this….. I have mixed feelings. I like the over all look update, being able to add brewing specifics easier in our notes, the tea ware rating, and even getting notified about tea becoming back in stock…. but….. I just don’t like the page for each tea that much. I mean it has some good aspects about it and the additions are great, but I am not digging the page layout.

It kinda looks like it is a single div or something were all the info runs strait down the center. I have to scroll really far down to get to the all reviews. I just…..hmm. I feel like there are some blank spaces that could be better utilized, but that is just me. Maybe I will draw and post how I would adjust it one day.

BUT OVER ALL! I like it. A lot of the added features are great! I always use to have to hand type out all of the specifics on how I brewed my tea, but now I can do that on the module. I loving being able to see the number when rating, the revamped look is sharp, clean, and neat, but not sterile. I also think they added a couple of sorting options to our tea logs, ratings, and cupboard; ME GUSTA! If anything this only makes me want to quickly learn PHP and Java so I can make an app that can let you post reviews, but also has tools like a tea randomizer, timer, and cupboard analyzer. Maybe even a tea suggester based on the preference that you put in.

Now I just need my semester to end so I can actually spend my time learning and enjoying it. >__>

Tea: Ok on to that. I bought some of franks tea last friday when they were on sale; and I finally have money back in my account. YAY FOR NOT HAVING SCHOOL EVERYDAY SO I CAN GET HOURS AT WORK!

I made it enough for me and my mom; Concentrated brew, combined the two steeps, and added hot water to the mugs to equalize it. OMG IT WAS GOOD! I can’t think of one banana tea Frank has made that has sucked; and this one is no different. I even did some more steeps later on for myself and found there was still a tone of flavor left. Even around the 4th steep! Glad I picked this up.

Now I just have to wait a couple weeks to buy some of the awesome re-blends frank has done; or pounce on them when the numbers get too low: I will get more Banana Fosters tea.

P.S. sugar is recommended, but not always needed. Oh also this taste good warm or cold.

Fjellrev

It was like watching Pikachu evolve into a Raichu haha.

Ze_Teamaker

HAHA Exactly!

I’m loving 52 Teas’ Bananas Foster, so I decided to give this one a whirl. Not as big of a fan. The black base is very strong… I get subtle banana, but no butterscotch. Not a bad tea, but not a favorite.

3 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Backlog:

Of the teas that were released for November, this was the one tea I was really looking forward to. There were some cranberry teas in November … and I like cranberry OK, but, I really like Frank’s banana blends. I wonder how banana and cranberry would taste together. Or how about a cranberry pecan blend? Save it for thanksgiving time though, Frank… K?

Anyway … This blend is yummy. A bit more butterscotch flavor than banana, and that was a little disappointing only because I found myself sort of “searching” for the banana flavor a bit. As I said before, I’m a fan of Frank’s banana blends.

But, the butterscotch here is really tasty. Sweet, creamy and indulgent, and it softens the black tea just a tad, giving it a sort of caramel-y, creamy softness. Nice.